Prospect Info: Cale Fleury - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How has he been this year prior injury? I kept being told how he was a surefire NHLer albeit as a bottom pairing

he's been a good bit better then when he was sent down last year as he was terrible then. I've always had him lower then others as I worry about the IQ but really like the physical tools. They will have a decision to make on him next year at camp since he doesn't need waivers. I could see him making it as a 7th D but Leskinen could steal that job from him although he doesn't need waivers to go to Laval next year.

Reactions: EXPOS123

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Why does Montreal keep blocking their young D? Fleury was solid then never given a chance. Juulsen to waivers. Rumours of bringing DeAngelo in. I feel like other teams give these players games to fit in and develop. Montreal shuns them. Now Romanov benched all playoffs too.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Why does Montreal keep blocking their young D? Fleury was solid then never given a chance. Juulsen to waivers. Rumours of bringing DeAngelo in. I feel like other teams give these players games to fit in and develop. Montreal shuns them. Now Romanov benched all playoffs too.

D's? They've been doing that to every young player in the last 20+ years!!

Reactions: MasterD

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

They should never have put Fleury in the NHL last year, another boneheaded move and the compounded it when it took them too long to figure out that he needed to be sent back down. But he was not ready for the NHL this year either and he was injured towards the end of the season so he barely played before the playoffs. It wouldn't have made sense to play him.

Reactions: DAChampion

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
They should never have put Fleury in the NHL last year, another boneheaded move and the compounded it when it took them too long to figure out that he needed to be sent back down. But he was not ready for the NHL this year either and he was injured towards the end of the season so he barely played before the playoffs. It wouldn't have made sense to play him.
Agreed and with the exception of Guhle I don't see any current Habs D prospects that are future top 4 D.

Those who think Brook has that potential will surely be disappointed

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Agreed and with the exception of Guhle I don't see any current Habs D prospects that are future top 4 D.

I think Struble and Norlinder have that potential. Whether they reach it is another story.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Brook is a work in process, he's shown a lot of improvement, with prospects I say this all the time but it's all about if said prospect can continue to progress or not. Evans progressed every year and he may not be done yet. Brook has made very good progress from the start of last year but he still has a ways to go. He's either going to keep progressing, or he's not. If he does then it's a question of how much and how good will he be. Can he be top 4? 100% yes, since he's got the physical tools of skating, speed, mobility, he's got the offensive skills, good playmaker, puck rusher. But there are holes in his game currently. He's got to get stronger, add mass. He has to make better decisions in his own end. Next year will be telling for sure. If he doesn't progress, I still think he can be a bottom pairing D at some point, if he does progress then we might have something there.

As for the rest, Norlinder, Harris, Struble certainly have top 4 potential, as they have the tools but it's a question of will they continue to progress or not, all are very interesting imo.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Brook is a work in process, he's shown a lot of improvement, with prospects I say this all the time but it's all about if said prospect can continue to progress or not. Evans progressed every year and he may not be done yet. Brook has made very good progress from the start of last year but he still has a ways to go. He's either going to keep progressing, or he's not. If he does then it's a question of how much and how good will he be. Can he be top 4? 100% yes, since he's got the physical tools of skating, speed, mobility, he's got the offensive skills, good playmaker, puck rusher. But there are holes in his game currently. He's got to get stronger, add mass. He has to make better decisions in his own end. Next year will be telling for sure. If he doesn't progress, I still think he can be a bottom pairing D at some point, if he does progress then we might have something there.

As for the rest, Norlinder, Harris, Struble certainly have top 4 potential, as they have the tools but it's a question of will they continue to progress or not, all are very interesting imo.
I was concerned that Bouchard played him at forward the final few games. A top tiered D prospect should be playing D. He could have played non prospects up front instead

Reactions: montreal

Jul 6, 2016
I was concerned that Bouchard played him at forward the final few games. A top tiered D prospect should be playing D. He could have played non prospects up front instead

Laval had not enough healthy bodies. They had to dress 7 d-men

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Funny how he too was looking really good early on/training camp until management rushed him into NHL and kept him on roster until he was bad.

Reactions: montreal

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
He's our most overrated prospect by a wide margin at the moment.
He oozes skill, just needs time to put it all together. Feel like he's the type of prospect that should stay in SHL until he's lighting it up. Feel like the overrated part is how close he is to being ready to come to AHL/NHL. Similar to Romanov, who was a bottom pairing D in KHL. Never understood why Habs management acted like he was ready to make an impact in NHL right away. Never works like that.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Came in hot and then fizzled out in typical Montreal Canadiens development fashion. Will be interesting how Seattle develops him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->