Calder Watch & Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Barzal is the clear winner. Its been obvious for awhile.

Hopefully Boeser doesn't get the shaft in voting now that he's been out and Connor passed him in goals, he should be a solid nominee with how he carried the Canucks offense. He also got the shaft on a few goals not quite getting to 30 but considering missed time it might aswell be considered a 30+ season.

My 3 would be Boeser/Barzal/McAvoy with Connor, Gourde & Dubois just behind. What a great rookie year its been.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Hischier is two years younger, hes already better than Barzal so im not worried about that. When Barzal learns how to play defense maybe he can be in Hischiers tier

146683114ccc66628406423209693ae8.gif

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Hopefully Boeser doesn't get the shaft in voting now that he's been out and Connor passed him in goals, he should be a solid nominee with how he carried the Canucks offense. He also got the shaft on a few goals not quite getting to 30 but considering missed time it might aswell be considered a 30+ season.

My 3 would be Boeser/Barzal/McAvoy with Connor, Gourde & Dubois just behind. What a great rookie year its been.

He should be there but won't be. NHL is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think Barzal is almost there. He's definitely much, much better than Marner. Hell, I'd easily put Hischier and Keller in the "better than Marner" category as well and they're not at Barzal's level yet.

For the sake of argument I think Marner did not play int he ideal situation this year(or at least for half a year) to get full value out of him so 69 points(plus whatever he gets in his remaining games) is pretty impressive

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
For the sake of argument I think Marner did not play int he ideal situation this year(or at least for half a year) to get full value out of him so 69 points(plus whatever he gets in his remaining games) is pretty impressive

Sure, but his numbers aren't that impressive, lots of PP points. Barzal is playing against much better opposition. Same with Hischier and Keller. I'd easily take any of them over Marner. If I had to rank them right now it would look like this...
Eichel/Matthews/Barzal (I'd put Barzal here as he's really been incredibly impressive and even though I'd take Eichel or Matthews over him I think he's already in the tier).
Hischier/Keller (I think these guys have the potential to end up in the tier above.
Marner (I don't really see Marner being as good as the guys above him. He'll also always be playing second fiddle to Matthews).
If you want to look at other players from this years rookie crop I think Debrincatt and Connor are also in the Marner tier. PLD has a lot of upside as well, but I wouldn't put him there yet. Boeser on the other hand is someone who I am certain has overachieved. He's very one-dimensional and has many flaws to his game. He's also proven to be very injury prone and with that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if he has a major regression next year.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Sure, but his numbers aren't that impressive, lots of PP points. Barzal is playing against much better opposition. Same with Hischier and Keller. I'd easily take any of them over Marner. If I had to rank them right now it would look like this...
Eichel/Matthews/Barzal (I'd put Barzal here as he's really been incredibly impressive and even though I'd take Eichel or Matthews over him I think he's already in the tier).
Hischier/Keller (I think these guys have the potential to end up in the tier above.
Marner (I don't really see Marner being as good as the guys above him. He'll also always be playing second fiddle to Matthews).
If you want to look at other players from this years rookie crop I think Debrincatt and Connor are also in the Marner tier. PLD has a lot of upside as well, but I wouldn't put him there yet. Boeser on the other hand is someone who I am certain has overachieved. He's very one-dimensional and has many flaws to his game. He's also proven to be very injury prone and with that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if he has a major regression next year.

You mention Barzal playing against much tougher competition and then list him alongside Matthews and then conveniently ignore that Matthews playing against CONSIDERABLY better competition this season compared to Barzal.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
looks to me he has spent close to 90% of the year with at least 1 30+ goal scorer

Reactions: Riseonfire

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It's pretty amazing to think that you can score 30 in your rookie season and still not even be in the discussion about the Calder. Another stacked rookie group for 2017/2018, just loads of talent coming in from the 2015 draft class.

I remember when Skinner/Grabner/someone else were vying for the award. Grabs had 32 goals, but was also like 26 lol. Agreed to your point though, a 30 goal scoring rookie won't be a top 3 vote getter. That's unreal.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon

I'm hoping he's still a finalist given how productive he's been playing for a bottom tier team. Boeser would've likely acquired 30 goals if he wasn't so lucky, and the league did their job properly.

Boeser on the other hand is someone who I am certain has overachieved. He's very one-dimensional and has many flaws to his game. He's also proven to be very injury prone and with that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if he has a major regression next year.

Oh look kmzandrew talking out of his ass as usual. Throwing a unnecessarily shot at the player he watched play zero games of all season, and relied on highlights. What else is new?
You think he has overachieved providing zero proof to your basis.
You think he will regress majorly next year without providing zero proof.
You think he's injury prone despite the fact that he was injured from a freak injury, something that can easily happen to Hischier and Butcher.

You think think he's one dimensional, despite the fact that you are hilariously wrong here. Many many users have destroyed you in your bias filled arguments toward a likeable player, and left you with zero credibility. I guess when Boeser proved you wrong many many times, you start a harbor a one sided agenda against the player, because you're butthurt that your assessment of a player was inaccurate, and rather than conceding you pout the same useless inaccurate garbage, hoping someone would actually believe you here.

It's akin to another user stating your boy Hischier is one dimensional, has overachieved, is a product of Hall, and will majorly regress next year.

I'm sure you're going to weasel your way out of this one, since you usually have, like the little rat you are.

I think Marner's being badly underrated in this thread.

He really really isn't. Infact it's the opposite.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He really really isn't. Infact it's the opposite.

Marner's numbers aren't that far off the players he's apparently not even in a tier with.

This is the problem with HF. People have already decided who the best players are after these kids have been in the league 1 or 2 seasons, and often times base their analysis of these players based on who is hottest *right now*.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Marner's numbers aren't that far off the players he's apparently not even in a tier with.

This is the problem with HF. People have already decided who the best players are after these kids have been in the league 1 or 2 seasons, and often times base their analysis of these players based on who is hottest *right now*.

Marner is essentially in the same tier as guys like Rantanen, Boeser, Keller, Aho.

The problem with HF has always been the "what have you done for me lately", which is how Marner is reeling it in with the favouritism.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I'm hoping he's still a finalist given how productive he's been playing for a bottom tier team. Boeser would've likely acquired 30 goals if he wasn't so lucky, and the league did their job properly.
So the league should have told him not to make the dumb hit he made on Clutterbuck?
Find it if you have not seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad