Post-Game Talk: Calder twins do it again! Jets win 3-2 in overtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Trouba-gets-OT-winner-300x169.jpg

Plenty to peruse in the morning Jets papers.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Great game. Watched when I got home from work. Sick pass by Wheeler to Scheifiele on the winner. Omg I still can't spell his name:help:

Although, it still wasn't nearly as entertaining as the Canucks game:laugh:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
How long is Enström going be given chances to run the PP1 with his production? Seriously, guy has like 15 points in 50 games and not much to show on the PP. I think Trouba should already be in the PP1 with his vision and shot.

The myth of Enstrom as a PP QB was busted last season, why he is still there is the MAIN reason our PP sucks:rant:

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I was at the game yesterday, in fact I've been to all the games at the MTS Centre over the last three years. Yesterday's third period was a real trip.

I got into about 2 minutes of the Leafs-Montreal game on HNIC last night when I said to myself, why am I watching this crap when I can watch the Jets game that I PVRed.

Then this morning I found myself listening to the podcast of yesterday's game that is on the TSN 1290 website.

I just can't get over that game yesterday. I'm so pumped.

Last edited:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Yeah, that's not even close to the decision.

It's O'Dell in the top 9 (3rd line LW/RW) or Pardy/Ellerby/Stuart in the top 4 (2nd pairing LD).

Which is more important issue. A 2nd pairing D, playing tough minutes against talented forwards to shut them down or 3rd line winger playing sheltered minutes only asked to be safe and contribute a bit offensively?

I have liked Buff up front so far, but I just don't think we have D depth to pull it off just yet. MAYBE if we had gotten the top 4 LD we so desperately needed (or just re-signed Hainsey) it might be feasible,...
The problem is that, right now, we don't have enough top talent, period. Shuffle the lines however you want, but until Kane gets back, we're looking at an offensive top 9 (alphabetical order, not skill ranking) of...
  • Frolik
  • Jokinen
  • Ladd
  • Little
  • O'Dell
  • Scheifele
  • Setoguchi
  • Wheeler
  • ??????
and a defensive top 6 of

• Bogosian
  • Ellerby
  • Enstrom
  • Pardy
  • Stuart
  • Trouba

Plus you have Byfuglien, who can play with either group. Let's just say that any of Tangradi/Wright/Thorburn in the top 9 (let alone top 6) doesn't work. TWT are, at best, a legitimate 4th line.

...but right now I think Buff will be back playing D sooner rather than later. Until we can get more legit top 4 D talent in.
The return of a healthy Kane would be the most likely trigger for that. I agree that Noel was reluctant to move up Buff to forward. He simply had no other choice. And as for your other argument, Buff can battle the other team's top forwards for possession as a forward, too.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The myth of Enstrom as a PP QB was busted last season, why he is still there is the MAIN reason our PP sucks:rant:

Totally. He's way too passive. The time it takes for him to adjust his stick to shoot hurts him on the PP. I'd rather Clitsome when healthy because he will at least put the puck towards the net with traffic. The team will be better off when he's on the 2nd PP and playing more defensive minutes. Second pairing 5 on 5. Where his long stick actually helps him.

Morrissey at the World Juniors I thought already has a more agressive temperment than Enstrom in the way he'll drive to the slot or one time a shot. It might take a few years but he should easily be a better PP QB than Enstrom. He's all style with so-so results at best. His only saving grace is that our PP forwards suck at their roles worse before Scheif came along. It seems to have improved since he became a fixture on it.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

Yup, it sure was busted last year when he had 3 less points than Buff on the PP in 21 less games and was 2nd on the team in PP points despite playing less than half the games than anybody who was close to him in that stat.

Last edited:

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Yup, it sure was busted last year when he had 3 less points than Buff on the PP in 21 less games and was 2nd on the team in PP points despite playing less than half the games as anybody who was close to him in that stat.

Maybe people are unaware you can look those things up these days?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup, it sure was busted last year when he had 3 less points than Buff on the PP in 21 less games and was 2nd on the team in PP points despite playing less than half the games as anybody who was close to him in that stat.

uhm...great post.
Not much to add.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
The role of powerplay quarterback isn't to always shoot, it's often to make the pass to the shooter. Enstrom is fantastic in that role. Could he still shoot more? Sure. Yet there's a reason teams often don't want two shooters sitting on the points as it limits actual puck movement which is the most critical asset to your powerplay - moving the puck to take defenders out of position.

Look at Trouba and Bogosian the other day. It was a shooting gallery and it accomplished absolutely nothing. The fans for whatever reason liked it, but I'd rather see goals than shots that go six feet wide.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
With two years with Jets bottom feeding PP tell me how Enstrom sucks at PP with this:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...se&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

I'd love for someone who says Enstrom sucks on the PP to try and explain that... Remember, 2/3 seasons in that list is with the Jets 2.0 PP and we all know how great that's been...

Edit:

For those lazy to look Enstrom is 6th highest scoring PP dman in points per minute for those with 300 mins between 2010-13; beating Karlsson, Letang, Byfuglien, Suter, Phaneuf, Weber, Keith, Leddy, Subban, Chara, etc.

If you go down to 200 minutes he's 7th http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...se&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC
Clitsome is 81st and Bogosian is 86th

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets were 12.5% on the PP without Enstrom in the line-up last year.
Jets were 16.4% with Enstrom in the lineup.
When Enstrom was in the line-up, he got a point on 63.6% of the PP goals the Jets scored.

Maybe it's no longer working this season, but he certainly wasn't the issue last season.

jetkarma*

With two years with Jets bottom feeding PP tell me how Enstrom sucks at PP with this:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...se&minutes=300&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

I'd love for someone who says Enstrom sucks on the PP to try and explain that... Remember, 2/3 seasons in that list is with the Jets 2.0 PP and we all know how great that's been...

Edit:

For those lazy to look Enstrom is 6th highest scoring PP dman in points per minute for those with 300 mins between 2010-13; beating Karlsson, Letang, Byfuglien, Suter, Phaneuf, Weber, Keith, Leddy, Subban, Chara, etc.

If you go down to 200 minutes he's 7th http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...se&minutes=200&disp=1&sort=HARTp&sortdir=DESC

So they have Lidstrom and Pronger as 1 and 2 , so how does Enstrom rank from this year, Is it the same or not ?

Mungman

It's you not me.
Mar 27, 2011
Outside the Asylum

Edit:

But.... But...... Narrative over numbers! It's the narrative!

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So they have Lidstrom and Pronger as 1 and 2 , so how does Enstrom rank from this year, Is it the same or not ?

If you screen just for this season, and drop the qualifying mins to 50 (approx equivalent to 300 over 3 seasons) Enstrom drops to 88th.

IMO 2010-2013 is too long a period to compare against today's top young d-man who were raw rookies at the front end of the period. Also, just looking at this season is probably not long enough to accurately judge Enstrom. However his drop off this season is a bit concerning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad