Calder Trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

rtafts said:
Matt Stajan has played pretty well, also. Up until last night, he had a 4 or 5 game point streak.
Yeah, but he won't finish in the top 3 or 4 in the rookie points race.

CoolburnIsGone

Just of note, Horton is now the youngest player to score on a penalty shot on his 2nd goal of the nite. He currently has 2g 1a +3 after 2 periods against Philly and is playing on a line with Jokinen & Val Bure (basically considered FL's top line). He looks like a veteran more and more now and he'll make a strong case for the Calder in the 2nd half.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
HabsBaby18 said:
Ryder is 23 years old but we need to remember that he was a 9th round pick ... How many 9th round pick had have a shot (just a shot) at getting the Calder trophy ? Not many.

How many 2nd round picks crack and NHL line up in thier first chance and have a shot at winning the calder ? Not many. Remember Bergeron was just drafted this summer, he is outdoing everyone in his draft class right now, Stall, Horton etc. And not to mention staying right up there with some of the older guys Ryder and Hunter despite being 4-5 years younger.

Don't rule out Andew Raycroft either, his numbers have been impressive this year.

But my pick for the calder right now would be Joni Pitaken, he has impressed me everytime I've seen him play. The Flyers have themselves a stud blueliner for many years to come.

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Yes, Bergeron is doing great and is out doing most players from this years draft, but you have to look at who he is playing with, just like Eric Staal. Bergeron is playing on Bostons top line with Tornton and Samsonov, and I think that most people could put up points like he is if they were on that line. As with Staal, he is playing most games with O'Neil and Brind'Amour or Vasichek. So when you look at the others from this years class like Horton, Lupul, they are putting up pretty good numbers playing a very large amount less ice time per game and with players who aren't nearly as good as Staal and Bergerons linemates.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Remax said:
Yes, Bergeron is doing great and is out doing most players from this years draft, but you have to look at who he is playing with, just like Eric Staal. Bergeron is playing on Bostons top line with Tornton and Samsonov, and I think that most people could put up points like he is if they were on that line. As with Staal, he is playing most games with O'Neil and Brind'Amour or Vasichek. So when you look at the others from this years class like Horton, Lupul, they are putting up pretty good numbers playing a very large amount less ice time per game and with players who aren't nearly as good as Staal and Bergerons linemates.

Bergeron has only played on a line with Thornton and Samsonov for the last few games. Samsonov has missed sometime due to injury and since his return which has been 4 games Bergeron has been on their line. Bergeron has played the majority of the season on a line with Brian Rolston and PJ Axelsson. But I see your point about the line mates but Bergeron been playing with them all year so it's not like their the reason for his point total.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
TJF said:
But my pick for the calder right now would be Joni Pitaken, he has impressed me everytime I've seen him play. The Flyers have themselves a stud blueliner for many years to come.

Yup. And it cost them Ruslan Fedotenko + Pucks :eek:

I'm thorn between Pitkanen and Bergeron so far as far as my *favorite rookies*. But for the Calder itself, I am going to gaze at my crystal ball and say it will be either Hunter or Ryder.

I will be VERY surprised if one of the two doesn't win it. I think one of the two will take advantage of being slightly older to keep up the great play all year. I am simply not certain that the young Bergeron and Pitkanen can do so.

I take this very lightly because the Calder trophy doesn't necessarly mean the best overall career anyway.

Mar 1, 2002
Not a Bruins fan here, but that goal last night by Bergeron was just a freakin beaut. Little puck dangle...a pause and a laser? Looked like Sakic on that one. (And no...I am not saying he will BE Joe Sakic...it just looked like a Sakic goal)

Wgrandall

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
I'm surprised Andrew Raycroft doesn't get more mention. I am a B's fan so there for I see the kid more, but still....he's putting up some good numbers as a goalie on a VERY average (at best) defensive team.

He's 11th in gaa 2.04 and 7th in sa% .925. And that's in the league, not just rookies as forwards are compared.

As for Bergeron on the B's...I don't think he will win it, but it's been a fun ride thus far for the 18 year old. Although, I must say, since he's now on the first line with Samsonov and Thornton pts may start to pile up for him. He's gone from the forth line, to the third, to the second, and now the first and never misses a beat on any line and has probably been the B's most consistant forward to this point in the season.

Hunter has played 6 less games than both the first place Ryder and the third place Bergeron and has more goals than either of them at this point (and only 2 on the PP whereas Bergeron has 7 of his 11 on the PP). I think that says a lot.

But I have to say I'm a big fan of Joni Pitkanen winning it right now. I think he's been the most consistant and continues to improve.

I think it will be between Pitkanen and Hunter when all is said and done.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Fighter said:
I'm a fan of Pitkanen and I think he deserve it.

Trent Hunter and Michael Ryder also have a shot to win it. Patrice Bergeron could be a winner as well.

Honorable mention: Eric Staal, Mark Rycroft, Jason King.

The same Jason King that was scratched for three games?

Mark Rycroft?

No Patrice Bergeron? Did you stop watching games in October?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Remax said:

Bergeron has spent time on all four lines. He hasnt even put up that many points with Joe and Sammy yet as they have only played a couple games together.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
2 words- andrew...raycroft.
ask detroit fans what they think of him
amazing how little respect this kid gets as a #1 goalie

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Kvashinator12 said:
Hunter is my choice. He is the most consistent, scores important goals, and does everything well. Ryder has played more games then Hunter, and Hunter barely gets any PP time at all.

Yes your girl is hot ;) Seriously looks alot like my gf. Good taste brother.

Pitkanen gets my vote by a long shot.....

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
If the Calder were given out at the 1/2 way point I think it goes like this in the voting:
1) Ryder
2) Pitkanen
3) Hunter

I also however do not believe that the NHL has ever had a Calder winner that won on his first half alone.....down the stretch is where it is won or lost.

At the 82 game mark I think it will look like this
1) Horton
2) Hunter
3) Raycroft

Ryder and Pitkanen I could see fading........sorry Habs fans. Just my opinion and I've been known to be wrong once or twice ;)

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Bruwinz20 said:
The same Jason King that was scratched for three games?

Mark Rycroft?

No Patrice Bergeron? Did you stop watching games in October?

I meant Andrew Raycroft, totally wrong name LOL.

About Bergeron, I think he has a shot to win, 24 points it's not too bad in this NHL uh?

Jason King has a strong start and then slowed down, don't think he has still a chance but he deserved a mention.

Anyway Horton is coming up very strong, he has half season to prove he's the best.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Kvashinator12 said:
Hunter is my choice. He is the most consistent, scores important goals, and does everything well. Ryder has played more games then Hunter, and Hunter barely gets any PP time at all.

There is alot of choices to choose but mine has to be ANDREW RAYCROFT.....cmon this guy has been great in the nets for Boston...took over Potvin's starting job, putting up good numbers and keeps Boston in many games....he's also been quite consistant...i hope Fluery goes back to jr and comes back and wins the Calder next yr people need to get off his back for that goal....it happens oh well

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
SpItFiReZ said:
There is alot of choices to choose but mine has to be ANDREW RAYCROFT.....cmon this guy has been great in the nets for Boston...took over Potvin's starting job, putting up good numbers and keeps Boston in many games....he's also been quite consistant...i hope Fluery goes back to jr and comes back and wins the Calder next yr people need to get off his back for that goal....it happens oh well

what about Ryder?? 43-11-20-31 pts

6pts more than Hunter is is on big roll right now.

4pts tonight. (2-2)

dink182

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
SpItFiReZ said:
ANDREW RAYCROFT.....cmon this guy has been great in the nets for Boston...took over Potvin's starting job

Yeah, like that's any big accomplishment. I can't remember a goalie who had so much success early in his career that puts up so many stinkers when he got older. Leave it to cheap-asses Sinden and O'Connell to sign the most unreliable goalie in the league to be their starter. The only thing I ever saw them really spend money on was Lapointe, and what a way to flush good money down the toilet. Sorry for the rant. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->