Calder Trophy 06-07

Pure Rock Fury*

Patty Ice said:
I expect one to be gone by the end of summer. I then expect Greiss to be signed and impressive as hell in training camp. I then expect him to win the backup role and eventually the starter role, after a fluke injury. I then expect Greiss to carry the Sharks deep into the playoffs and win the Calder.

I have high and extremely outrageous expectations for Greiss.
So basically a sequel to Nabokov, except younger.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
very important to consider whether they'll get a spot, TOI, linemates, etc.

beside malkin, (may his name be praised)

wolski
grigorenko
smid

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Slitty said:
Is there an age limit after Makarov to be considered a rookie? If so, what is it?

26 is the age limit.

Malkin will win it , no doubt. Grigorenko and Radulov will be #2 and #3. Only a good goalie could maybe interfere. But there are no, so...

Cors

Jan 17, 2006
nhl.mybb.ru
If Grigorenko with Dats or Zetty in a row plays has it good chance to increase because it then better score can.

1.Malkin or Grigorenko I cannot decide there simply.
2.Radulov
3.Kaigorodov
Kessel
O'Sullivan

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I think only Zvinovjev out of all the Russians has a legitimate chance to dethrone Malkin. I don't know why so many people think Grigorenko may do it: in my eyes Kaigorodov has more of a shot.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
triggrman said:
Wow, no love for Radulov?

Too young with not enough experience, Malkin is a superstar, Zvinovjev will be 26 and one of the better players in the RSL for years, Kaigorodov showed how freakishly good he can do last year, and Grigorenko is an older version of Radulov.

Love for Radulov, but not for the calder.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Slitty said:
Too young with not enough experience, Malkin is a superstar, Zvinovjev will be 26 and one of the better players in the RSL for years, Kaigorodov showed how freakishly good he can do last year, and Grigorenko is an older version of Radulov.

Love for Radulov, but not for the calder.
kaigorodov may not get a spot on ottawa, especially if ottawa re-signs arnason.

radulov may not get a spot on nashville, they have lots of young wingers.

grigorenko will likely get a spot on detroit, b/c detroit lacks wingers. detroit wanted to bring him over last year, but couldn't b/c of CBA concerns. and grigorenko will probably play on 1st/2nd line w/ datsyuk. but it really depends on his health and whether he's back to 100%.

Retail1LO*

Sounds like a bumper crop of Russians coming in next year the way you guys have things playing out.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
GoBoltz56 said:
Because Grigorenko will be a rookie, and is good at hockey.

Yes, but while being "good at hockey", Grigorenko is not nearly as "good" as the best 10 Russian youngsters who could potentially come over next year. Thats Russians only. Secondly, I doubt Grigorenko could really put up impressive numbers if he is not "good" enough to get a 1st/2nd line job with the Wings. In all honesty, people need to forgett the dominant pre-accident Grigorenko and get used to the mediocre Grigorenko of today. At this point in time Grigorenko is about Perezhogin's level give or take a few points.

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
Slitty said:
Yes, but while being "good at hockey", Grigorenko is not nearly as "good" as the best 10 Russian youngsters who could potentially come over next year. Thats Russians only. Secondly, I doubt Grigorenko could really put up impressive numbers if he is not "good" enough to get a 1st/2nd line job with the Wings. In all honesty, people need to forgett the dominant pre-accident Grigorenko and get used to the mediocre Grigorenko of today. At this point in time Grigorenko is about Perezhogin's level give or take a few points.

Didn't you start the thread off by saying that he could challenge for the calder next year? How does 2 months erase your interpretation of his entire year in the RSL (assumably)?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Slitty said:
Speaking from an RSL persepctive, Malkin isnt a given if Boston bring over Zvinovjev or Detroit Grigorenko. Hell, even Ottawa's Kaigorodov can give Malkin a good run for his money. Mozyakin for the Wild is another possibility, or perhaps some older RSL player signed as a UFA. Let me remind you that Malkin did well and finnished 3rd in RSL scoring, but he did not blow the league away by any means.

Selective RSL scoring:

1. Mozyakin - 52pts
3. Malkin - 47pts
4. Zvinovjev - 41pts
16. Grigorenko - 34pts
20. Kaigorodov - 32pts[1].

[1] Kaigorodov plays on the same team as Malkin and centers the 2nd line. When he centered the first line last year, he was 2nd in the league in scoring behind Sushinski... and ahead of such names as Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Morozov, Lecavalier, Richards, ect by a fair margin.

*Taratukhin missed a considerable portion of the season with injury, but his PPG is awsome, could be a challanger.

Your way to high on Russians...

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Richard_Zednik said:
Your way to high on Russians...

That particular post evaluated how the possible Russian rookies could compare to each other, "speaking from an RSL prospective" as I said, and didn't intend to compare them with North American prospects - which are frankly not my area of expertise.

Or is that the Belarussian nationalism poking through because of my omission of Grabovsky? ;)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
hockeytown5 said:
Didn't you start the thread off by saying that he could challenge for the calder next year? How does 2 months erase your interpretation of his entire year in the RSL (assumably)?

Grigorenko had a very strong start, and a much better first half to the season. Of his 34 points this year, I believe more than 20 came in the first half of the season when he was scoring just under a point per game pace. His second half of the season production slump and general unimpressive play (perhaps due to getting worn out because he is not fully recovered from his injury) showed that he is not ready for the NHL. However, getting the chance to see Grigorenko play in several international test matches, the latter stages of the Eurotour (he was not selected for the Rosno Cup and anything prior), and finally the World Championships themselves illustrated how poorly (in comparisson) he looked when side by side those very players who he might face in the Calder race next year. Grigorenko simply failed to produce against a higher level of competition. While its easy to excell on a weak team like Servestal', its harder to look impressive when playing with more talented players against tougher opponents.

Mind you I wasn't particularly high on Grigorenko since the accident in general and in this thread. I said he could challange Malkin on his production alone, but also stated that Zvinovjev and Kaigorodov would have a better chance. To me, if brought over to the NHL Grigorenko would equivilate somewhat to Perezhogin. Limited breif success on the top line with a sign of potential and more to come, a trip to the minors, and a lot of limited ice time and 4th line duty. Perezhogin got one less point than Grigs in his last (NHL lockout) season in the RSL while playing 7 less games.

In any case its all a moot point since its fairly certain Grigs will remain in Russia, which might be the best thing for his development, but I am not holding out too much hope on him becoming a huge success.

hockeytown5

Aug 19, 2005
Toronto
Slitty said:
Grigorenko had a very strong start, and a much better first half to the season. Of his 34 points this year, I believe more than 20 came in the first half of the season when he was scoring just under a point per game pace. His second half of the season production slump and general unimpressive play (perhaps due to getting worn out because he is not fully recovered from his injury) showed that he is not ready for the NHL. However, getting the chance to see Grigorenko play in several international test matches, the latter stages of the Eurotour (he was not selected for the Rosno Cup and anything prior), and finally the World Championships themselves illustrated how poorly (in comparisson) he looked when side by side those very players who he might face in the Calder race next year. Grigorenko simply failed to produce against a higher level of competition. While its easy to excell on a weak team like Servestal', its harder to look impressive when playing with more talented players against tougher opponents.

Mind you I wasn't particularly high on Grigorenko since the accident in general and in this thread. I said he could challange Malkin on his production alone, but also stated that Zvinovjev and Kaigorodov would have a better chance. To me, if brought over to the NHL Grigorenko would equivilate somewhat to Perezhogin. Limited breif success on the top line with a sign of potential and more to come, a trip to the minors, and a lot of limited ice time and 4th line duty. Perezhogin got one less point than Grigs in his last (NHL lockout) season in the RSL while playing 7 less games.

In any case its all a moot point since its fairly certain Grigs will remain in Russia, which might be the best thing for his development, but I am not holding out too much hope on him becoming a huge success.

Thanks for the explanation. I think much of the late season drop in production is due to a lack of conditioning. 210-215 lbs is a lot of weight packed on to a 5'10 frame. I remember a quote from Jim Nill saying that conditioning is one of the key things that he'll have to work on. I'm hopeful that he can improve his shape and play a key part on the Wings in 07-08.

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Richard_Zednik said:
Andrei Kostitsyn could explode. If Latendresse makes it he could too. I think though, it will be either Malkin or Brule.

I think if the Habs can get Grabovsky over he may be able to make a bigger impact than Kostistyn. Though Kostitsyn does have the advantage of playing a couple years in NA but if Grabovsky has no trouble adjusting I'd say as of 'right now' he's the better player. But thats just talking Habs rookies, Malkins got the Calder hands down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad