Calder Trophy 06-07

digitalmonkey*

Just a note on Benoit Pouliot from up here in Sudbury:

He has great speed and his ability to handle the puck at top speed is NHL calibre. My only knock on him is that he looks very disinterested at times.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
definitely add voloshenko to the list.

Tho mind you i got a big feeling griggy if he comes over, which is probably a 99.999999999999% chance he is going to, should and oculd very well be on the line with datsyuk considering that would be the ideal player RIGHT NOW for datsyuk, i think it would be a smart move

id definitely say malkin if i had to pick 1, but dont count out kids like volo and griggy

cedouimet

Aug 3, 2005
malkin all the way, but i would give a shot to andrei kostytsin next year...
He was awesome in his couples of games ealier this year....he might surprise if he is used the right way....

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
Malkin will most likely win the calder, but I think Grigorenko will be right up there with him. He's ready to score 20+ goals in his rookie year.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
TORRUS said:
He isn't eligible by a few years. :teach: The guy is 32.

Is there an age limit after Makarov to be considered a rookie? If so, what is it?

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think Malkin will win it, but I think Grigs will make a good showing in his freshman year too. Like a previous poster said I think he'll end on a line with Datsyuk as he sounds like exactly the type of winger Dats needs.

Randall Graves*

Ladislav Smid is going to play in the NHL next year(Brian Burkes words) wouldn't bet against him being one of the top rookie defensemen.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It will be a Russian... again.

Malkin is 11th months younger than Oveshkin... I am expecting an increadible season from him next year.

Radulov will join a great team who wouldn't mind having some extra offensive punch. I would be a nice fit for that team.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
The homer in me wants to scream O'Sullivan - his season in the AHL really bodes well for his future. However, playing in Minnesota, it's not likely he will put up amazing numbers. Like Koivu this season, he'll probably be on the 4th line wth some plugs like Boogaard and Veiilluex.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Slitty said:
Speaking from an RSL persepctive, Malkin isnt a given if Boston bring over Zvinovjev or Detroit Grigorenko. Hell, even Ottawa's Kaigorodov can give Malkin a good run for his money. Mozyakin for the Wild is another possibility, or perhaps some older RSL player signed as a UFA. Let me remind you that Malkin did well and finnished 3rd in RSL scoring, but he did not blow the league away by any means.

Selective RSL scoring:

1. Mozyakin - 52pts
3. Malkin - 47pts
4. Zvinovjev - 41pts
16. Grigorenko - 34pts
20. Kaigorodov - 32pts[1].

[1] Kaigorodov plays on the same team as Malkin and centers the 2nd line. When he centered the first line last year, he was 2nd in the league in scoring behind Sushinski... and ahead of such names as Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Morozov, Lecavalier, Richards, ect by a fair margin.

*Taratukhin missed a considerable portion of the season with injury, but his PPG is awsome, could be a challanger.

Malkin have a big advantage in that he will play well and produce no matter who he plays with. A player like Kaigorodov need a perfect enviorment to thrive.

justdanickoftime*

malkin no doubt, but watch out for eric fehr, he could be a 30 goal scorer next year

RangersFan88*

anyone else then malkin would be a gigantic surprise ....

.... if he can play next season ,he's gonna win it ....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RangersFan88 said:
anyone else then malkin would be a gigantic surprise ....

.... if he can play next season ,he's gonna win it ....

I agree. From what I've seen of Malkin he could have starred in the NHL this year.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ola said:
Malkin have a big advantage in that he will play well and produce no matter who he plays with. A player like Kaigorodov need a perfect enviorment to thrive.

Because playing with Alfredsson, Heatley, Spezza, Arnason, Eaves, Vermette, Havlat, Schaefer, Fisher, Redden, Chara, etc. isn't a nice little environment to thrive in.

Maithz

if Kostitsyn train a lot this summer he could be a candidate . he shown some great offensive skills this year

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
WILDTATE10 said:
I think Kessel is going to stay at the UofM for another year.
Add Voloshenko and Benoit Pouliot to that list he should make the Wild team and Belle.

Anybody who believe that Shawn Belle is a legitimate candidate to finish in the TOP-10 of the Calder race next year is going to be greatly disappointed....
He's on his 3rd team....coming out of one of the deepest drafts of the last 2 decades....
I'd be shocked if he ever becomes anything more than a 4th/5th D-man....let alone R-O-Y candidate....
I don't want to say 2 teams have given up on him already.....but two teams have thought enough of him to trade him for less than star-quality players.
Shawn Belle is looking a lot like Jeff Woywitka from a Blues POV....and that's not encouraging for Minnesota fans...

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Malkin is the clear favourite - because he'll be a man among boys in a sense. Still, he won't get the same advantage that Ovechkin and Crosby got this year of being the main go to guy on his team. He'll at least be #2 on the Pens.

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
Slitty said:
Selective RSL scoring:

1. Mozyakin - 52pts
3. Malkin - 47pts
4. Zvinovjev - 41pts
16. Grigorenko - 34pts
20. Kaigorodov - 32pts[1].

[1] Kaigorodov plays on the same team as Malkin and centers the 2nd line. When he centered the first line last year, he was 2nd in the league in scoring behind Sushinski... and ahead of such names as Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Morozov, Lecavalier, Richards, ect by a fair margin.

*Taratukhin missed a considerable portion of the season with injury, but his PPG is awsome, could be a challanger.

So you think it's fairly reasonable when Muckler talks about him filling the 2nd line centre position for the Sens as early as next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad