Calder Trophy 06-07

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
wild have mozyakin, whats his story, never heard of him and i'm a wild fan??

edit: just did a search, he's actually bluejackets property.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
It all depends on the russian effect... :D
well I mean, Russian ice hockey federation doesn't have any agreement with the NHL for the transfers... so we don't know if NHL teams will be able to bring these guys...
I thought there was a deadline for Euros players before losing the rights so we could see a lot of Euros signings in the next few months.

If Russians sign, Malkin is a clear favorite for the Calder.
In defense, Johnson (if signed) and Carle are leading candidates, with Barker a step behind.
As forwards, we could see O'Sullivan, Voloshenko, Schremp, Wolski, Pouliot, Radulov or Bergfors. And the traditionnal surprise, with a player similar to Prucha-Svatos-Ouellet-Pominville, a kind of former minor leaguer who manage to step to the next level (Hudler?)...

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
knight44 said:
you guys are forgeting a guy by the name of Schremp, he is having a amazing year in London. He will thrive in edmonton, he will make the PP just amaing with his shot. I think Schremp can and will contend for the calder. But i see why no one gives him the respect he deserves, its because everyone still hates the kid for his so called "attitude problem"

MacT will see to it he doesn't get 5 minutes of ice time a night, so he's no threat

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Chrisd said:
wild have mozyakin, whats his story, never heard of him and i'm a wild fan??

edit: just did a search, he's actually bluejackets property.

My bad, I had Sushinsky on my mind when I wrote that. He isn't eligible for the Calder by a few games I think.

Anyways, a Nash-Mozyakin-Zherdev line is to die for... what is Columbus thinking wasting their money on Fedorov. I am willing to be ANYTHING, and I mean this, that such a line would be dominanat and that Mozyakin would beat Malkin for the Calder convincingly.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Slitty said:
My bad, I had Sushinsky on my mind when I wrote that. He isn't eligible for the Calder by a few games I think.

He isn't eligible by a few years. :teach: The guy is 32.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Unseenpunk said:
Malkin no doubt...
Most Talent
Most Professional Experience
Has a pro frame
Happens to have Sidney Crosby to feed him the puck.
Agreed, no doubt, however Crosby won't be feeding him the puck. It would be a mistake to put Malkin on the wing. He'll be 2nd line center.

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
I think Gilbert Brule could win it. Malkin's certainly got the talent but I like Brule for 06/07.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
TransportedUpstater said:
Pouliot? Really? Is he ready?

Edit: I realize he almost made the team, but does anyone else think he needs more seasoning?

Pouliot is not even close to being ready........another year or 3 away from the NHL......guy looked horrible for team canada in the world juniors.......absolutely terrible.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
knight44 said:
you guys are forgeting a guy by the name of Schremp, he is having a amazing year in London. He will thrive in edmonton, he will make the PP just amaing with his shot. I think Schremp can and will contend for the calder. But i see why no one gives him the respect he deserves, its because everyone still hates the kid for his so called "attitude problem"

who exactly is edmonton going to take off of the top powerplay line to get shremp out there? unless he plays D on the pp i cant see it happening.......and even with that he would need to beat out pronger or ma bergeron.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
The Predators have a plethora of wingers ... Kariya, Walker, Hartnell, Sullivan, Erat, Hall ... I could see Radulov replacing Walker AFTER the 06-07 season when his brain officially becomes mush ... until then Radulov will probably most likely spend next season destroying the American Hockey League

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
who exactly is edmonton going to take off of the top powerplay line to get shremp out there? unless he plays D on the pp i cant see it happening.......and even with that he would need to beat out pronger or ma bergeron.

the Oilers' PP units for next season is one big question with so many UFA on the team right now (Samsonov, Spacek, Tarnstorm, Dvorak, Pisani, and Peca).

if none of the UFA return, The Oilers could go with

Hemsky on the left boards
Smyth in front of the net and corners
Schremp on the right boards
Pronger - Bergeron/Stoll (either one) on the point

they can use Schremp or Hemsky to control the puck on either side.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
The problem with picking Schremp isn't because he isn't as skilled as the other candidates, it's because he's on a team that is good enough that he won't have a lot of responsibility.

Just look at the last few ROYs:

Ovechkin (my prediction): If Ovechkin doesn't do it for them, they won't win. He's their only chance night in and night out. The same could be said for Crosby who is the likely runner up.

Raycroft: Potvin was Boston's only other goalie, so Raycroft got the #1 spot (and he played great), but goalies are a little different because there are only two on a team (unless you're the 05/06 Sabres or Oilers) and they cant be sheltered with linemates and selective icetime. Plus, if you're a rookie goalie and your team makes the playoffs, then you're guaranteed Calder consideration at least.

Jackman: Pronger was hurt, and he played along side MacInnis

Heatley: Terrible team, on the top line and got all kinds of PP time (with Kovalchuk, mind you).

Schremp won't take Hemsky/Smyth/Horcoff/Pronger/Bergeron's spot on the #1 powerplay unit, and MacTavish will probably limit his even strength play on account of him being a rookie, and the fact that the Oilers have a lot of good 5-on-5 players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
misfit said:
The problem with picking Schremp isn't because he isn't as skilled as the other candidates, it's because he's on a team that is good enough that he won't have a lot of responsibility.

Just look at the last few ROYs:

Ovechkin (my prediction): If Ovechkin doesn't do it for them, they won't win. He's their only chance night in and night out. The same could be said for Crosby who is the likely runner up.

Raycroft: Potvin was Boston's only other goalie, so Raycroft got the #1 spot (and he played great), but goalies are a little different because there are only two on a team (unless you're the 05/06 Sabres or Oilers) and they cant be sheltered with linemates and selective icetime. Plus, if you're a rookie goalie and your team makes the playoffs, then you're guaranteed Calder consideration at least.

Jackman: Pronger was hurt, and he played along side MacInnis

Heatley: Terrible team, on the top line and got all kinds of PP time (with Kovalchuk, mind you).

Schremp won't take Hemsky/Smyth/Horcoff/Pronger/Bergeron's spot on the #1 powerplay unit, and MacTavish will probably limit his even strength play on account of him being a rookie, and the fact that the Oilers have a lot of good 5-on-5 players.

I agree with the premise of your post, but I wouldn't be so sure Schremp doesn't get prime PP minutes. That's the main reason he'll be in Edmonton next year.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
Horcoff isn't a top PP guy, great 5 on 5 player (except his mindless penalties once in a while), he needs skilled teammates to make use of his playmaking skills, he's more fit to play on the 2nd PP unit, Shawn can't take charge of an unit like Samsonov/Hemsky can.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Depending on what Turgeon does next year the Avs may end up with Wolski as our second line center. I still think Malkin will win it but if Wolski can play like he has this year, and with a healthy Svatos back I don't see why he wouldn't be in the running.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
TK79 said:
Yeah, he'll see a ton of action behind Nabby and Toskala ;)

I expect one to be gone by the end of summer. I then expect Greiss to be signed and impressive as hell in training camp. I then expect him to win the backup role and eventually the starter role, after a fluke injury. I then expect Greiss to carry the Sharks deep into the playoffs and win the Calder.

I have high and extremely outrageous expectations for Greiss.

Redden Punches Faces*

Number 19 said:
Depending on what Turgeon does next year the Avs may end up with Wolski as our second line center. I still think Malkin will win it but if Wolski can play like he has this year, and with a healthy Svatos back I don't see why he wouldn't be in the running.

IMO, Wolski is the best player in the O this year, and wasn't to shabby with the Av's while he was there either. Darkhorse candidate!!

predz

Oct 8, 2004
Longueuil
I think that if Hudler is put in the right situation he could have a shot. The fact that he is older and as played pro for a while now is a definite advantage.

Pete Rock

Oct 22, 2005
Mrs. Sauga
I'm on the Malkin train too, but if he doesn't come over, I'm all over Patty O'Sullivan.

Besides, as an Ice Dogs fan, I'll take O'Sullivan over Schremp any day. :p:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad