Calder Trophy 06-07

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Who are the candidates for next year's Calder Trophy, and which rookie do you think will win it?

Some possibilities of the top of my head and in no particular order, please dont get upset if I am missing anyone:

Kaigorodov
Grigorenko
Zvinovjev
Schremp
Woski
Radulov
Kessel
O'Sulivan
Malkin
Brule
Taratukhin
Johnson
Some older dominating AHLer like Law, Westrum, Hidler, ect?

anyone else?

Last edited:

Bam Beet*

I think it will be probably Malkin but there might be some good competition from Schremp, Wolski and Jack Johnson.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
O'Sullivan should be aded to the list

And my vote goes to Malkin. He has been playing against men for years. He'll step into the NHL with ease.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
Malkin definetly if the Penguins can get him over here.

Exactly. There is nothing guaranteeing he is gonna be coming over for next season. It's possible, but also not possible at the same time. Either way, I see someone else stepping up next year and producing. A guy like Eric Fehr comes to mind.

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I think Kessel is going to stay at the UofM for another year.
Add Voloshenko and Benoit Pouliot to that list he should make the Wild team and Belle.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
voloshenko, pouliot and belle will all be on the wilds ahl team next year. voloshenko most likely to get a call up.

Transported Upstater

Chrisd said:
voloshenko, pouliot and belle will all be on the wilds ahl team next year. voloshenko most likely to get a call up.

Pouliot? Really? Is he ready?

Edit: I realize he almost made the team, but does anyone else think he needs more seasoning?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
nope def not...

He did look pretty good in camp...but like O'sullivan a year of the AHL will do him wonders imo.

Look for Pouliot to join the Houston Aeros. 80% chance AHL 20% NHL imo.

To his credit, the coaches, especially Lemaire really liked him, maybe its the whole french thing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
malkin will win it uncontestes, unless phil kessel plays on crosbys wing next season. Then there may be a battle

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Kessel needs another year of college atleast...

He's not NHL ready. He has all but said he's coming back next year, and whoever drafts him would be wise to let him develop for another year or so.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Pouliot will either be in he AHL (if he can and I'm lazy not to look up his birthdate) or sent back to the OHL.

Transported Upstater

Chrisd said:
yes, he's AHL elig.

How do you know? What is the cutoff?

Because if he is eligible for the AHL, there is no way he should be playing in the NHL. AHL seems perfect for him.

I'm very high on Benoit (had him ranked 4rd at the draft, behind Brule, Johnson and some loser named Sidney), but I think he's a bit raw and feel the AHL is the best place for him.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Because i looked it up. He makes the cut off. His bday is 9-29...so that means he will be 20 as of the AHL season opener, which makes him eligible.

I would have rather had brule over him, but i'm ok with the pick of Pouliot, he's got size and speed, and a good shot. Only thing with him will be his work ethic and drive, will tell the story.

Transported Upstater

Chrisd said:
Because i looked it up. He makes the cut off.

I would have rather had brule over him, but i'm ok with the pick of Pouliot, he's got size and speed, and a good shot. Only thing with him will be his work ethic and drive, will tell the story.

I'm still not convinced Brule can play his game in the NHL the way he could in junior.

If Brule was 6'2, 210 lbs, I think he would have been the draft's #2 player, and that includes Jack Johnson, who I am VERY high on.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
i had it sid, jack johnson, brule, pouliot, ryan, kopitar.

sid and jack i see no flaws in.

Brule= size is a question mark, injuries could be...

Pouliot= some attitude questions, work ethic

Ryan= definite skating issues, numbers falling off a lot from start of yr

Kopitar= has good size, but isn't setting the world on fire either in the SEL, but most don't at his age. He also is the most unknown of these guys, so who really knows where he's at with his development.

sid and jack are the sure bets imo....the other guys could become stars, or flame out, who knows.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
you guys are forgeting a guy by the name of Schremp, he is having a amazing year in London. He will thrive in edmonton, he will make the PP just amaing with his shot. I think Schremp can and will contend for the calder. But i see why no one gives him the respect he deserves, its because everyone still hates the kid for his so called "attitude problem"

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
knight44 said:
you guys are forgeting a guy by the name of Schremp, he is having a amazing year in London. He will thrive in edmonton, he will make the PP just amaing with his shot. I think Schremp can and will contend for the calder. But i see why no one gives him the respect he deserves, its because everyone still hates the kid for his so called "attitude problem"

I don't think many people see Schremp as the kind of player capable of stepping in and having an instant offensive impact in the NHL. He still has a lot to work on to be a legitimate NHLer. Maybe he can make the Oilers right away and get PP time, but I don't think he'll have that role handed to him. If he earns it, he 'might' be among the Calder candidates, but Malkin has such an advantage over everyone else that I don't think he's likely to win it at all.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Speaking from an RSL persepctive, Malkin isnt a given if Boston bring over Zvinovjev or Detroit Grigorenko. Hell, even Ottawa's Kaigorodov can give Malkin a good run for his money. Mozyakin for the Wild is another possibility, or perhaps some older RSL player signed as a UFA. Let me remind you that Malkin did well and finnished 3rd in RSL scoring, but he did not blow the league away by any means.

Selective RSL scoring:

1. Mozyakin - 52pts
3. Malkin - 47pts
4. Zvinovjev - 41pts
16. Grigorenko - 34pts
20. Kaigorodov - 32pts[1].

[1] Kaigorodov plays on the same team as Malkin and centers the 2nd line. When he centered the first line last year, he was 2nd in the league in scoring behind Sushinski... and ahead of such names as Jagr, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Ovechkin, Malkin, Morozov, Lecavalier, Richards, ect by a fair margin.

*Taratukhin missed a considerable portion of the season with injury, but his PPG is awsome, could be a challanger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->