Calder Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Epsilon said:
If you want to know how this year's rookie of the year voting will go, just check out the year where Nabokov deservedly trounced his competition for the award. Raycroft will win handily, and deservedly so.
Having said that, who was the top scoring rookie that year? Richards had 62 pts (was that the highest?), and if I remember correctly, no one was saying "Oh Nabakov is going to beat Richards by 5 to 1!" Now granted, the vote ended up being 50 first place to 9, and Raycroft's numbers are similar to Nabokov's in 2000/01. To be honest, that one still makes me wonder. Richards led his (crappy) team in pts that year and didn't get the award. Maybe it's because he didn't get his team to the playoffs or something (as Nabokov helped the sharks to do). It's obviously not the rookie Art Ross or anything, but maybe they'll think Ryder's contribution to the habs this year is particularly significant. On the other hand, Raycroft has no peers among rookie goaltenders, which also makes him look very good. :dunno:

I've got a feeling that the league is of the opinion that it is easier to stop goals than to score them nowadays (otherwise why would we hear about goalie equipment and rule changes to promote scoring). And again, while this probably won't be enough for Ryder to win it, I expect it to make for a closer race than in 2001. To put this one to bed, I think most posters over the last few pages are divided between only two players (Raycroft and Ryder), so there's naught to do but wait and see.

Munchausen

btn said:
Yes, but which position is more important to a team? Raycroft has filled what has been a weakness for the Bruins, well since Jim Carey has that one good year. When a rookie goaltender comes in and leads his team to the playoffs, you pretty much have to give him the award.

Ryder has had a terrific season, but IMO it isn't even close. Raycroft wins the award by a wide margin in the voting.

hmmm... One could just as easily argue that people were putting the Habs at the bottom of the East in their pre-season predictions because of a serious lack of offensive punch. And indeed, they don't have any big names in there. Not sure the Habs could have made the playoffs without Ryder's contribution, who's been the clear cut best winger for them this year, Zednik being left in the dust. It's not as night and day as people make it out to be. IMO it will be pretty darn close in the votting.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Munchausen said:
hmmm... One could just as easily argue that people were putting the Habs at the bottom of the East in their pre-season predictions because of a serious lack of offensive punch.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with Theo's inconsistent play the previous year.

With 3 games left Montreal has scored 201 goals, they scored 206 last year. They have given up 182 goals, they gave up 234 last year.

With 4 games left Boston has given up 177 goals, last year they gave up 237.

Munchausen

btn said:
Yeah, it had nothing to do with Theo's inconsistent play the previous year.

With 3 games left Montreal has scored 201 goals, they scored 206 last year. They have given up 182 goals, they gave up 234 last year.

With 4 games left Boston has given up 177 goals, last year they gave up 237.

Sure it's true, but Theodore didn't have to make miracles this year like 2 seasons ago (the new system is IMO the real responsible for the Habs defensive improvement), but I also remember every single post in training camp saying how the Habs had no offence and this was their biggest drawback (which was true at the time).

So again, I think the Habs do not make the playoffs without Ryder. He's been the key of the team's offense all year long, bringing the players he was paired with out of their slumps on a regular basis because he created so much scoring chances all by himself, and also being a key element to the PP, which is bread and butter for a small team like the Habs.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
if nabokov won it over brad richards, raycroft is a lock for the calder.

raycroft's numbers are even better than nabokov's.

Stock Rocks

Feb 27, 2002
Billerica, Mass.
Visit site
RE-HABS said:
I would choose Ryder over Raycroft in a very close vote, Ryder getting more because of his climb and battle to get where he has in the league considering he was in the ECHL two years ago.

That, and looking at your avatar doesn't make it hard to figure out why...

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Dark Metamorphosis said:
if nabokov won it over brad richards, raycroft is a lock for the calder.

raycroft's numbers are even better than nabokov's.

Yes and no. The important ones (IMO) are better than nabokov's, but I think a lot had to do with his getting the magical 30 wins. If Raycroft does that on top of his stats, he stands an even better chance (I think he's at 28 or 29, so it's possible).

petrobruin

Mar 19, 2002
London Ont.
Visit site
You have to be kidding it is not even close ,Ryder is putting up 2nd line numbers(average).

Raycroft is putting up elite Goaltending #s.

Top 5 for ALL starters in the nhl.

I dont see ryder in the top 5 in scoring in the NHL.

You need to understand Raycroft is not only having a Calder year ,he is having a Vezina,Hart year!!!!!!!!!!

Goodbye Ryder eat dust

Petr

thestonedkoala

Agreed that Raycroft is just smoking this year...

You also have to look at Boston and see that they haven't had a good offensive punch. Boston has less goals than the Canadians.

No one knew Boston would be neck and neck with Toronto this far down the stretch.

Sticky*

GOBRUINS19 said:
This Calder race is awesome in my situation.
I am a Newfie Bruin....Whoever wins i will be extremey l happy

You can't be that big of a Bruins fan then. If you were, you would definitely care about someone from Montreal winning the trophy over Raycroft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad