Calder Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
What is the possibility that Zherdev could win the Calder this year as a darkhorse candidate?

I've watched him play the majority of his games this year, and based on offensive potential alone, Zherdev outshines Ryder, Hunter, Bergeron, and Staal. As well, the NHL could play the political card, taking into consideration the obstacles Zherdev overcame this season to play in North America.

IMO, Zherdev is the complete offensive package. He sees the ice like Federov, with the downside of having Kovalchuk's attidude. He must become a team player to gain further success. His passing, shooting accuracy and power, skating, puck possesion skills and on-ice vision are phenomenal.

Hindering Zherdev's chances are his poor defensive awareness and play away from the puck, however, this has improved drastically over the past 15-20 games. In addition, Zherdev's antics, including slapping his stick on the ice, acting with disgust at teammates play and decision-making also highlight his immaturity and selfishisness.

I think Zherdev will grow and mature, and is definitely, possibly aside from Ruutu, the most deserving of the Calder as the best rookie and potential for NHL star status.

What do you guys think?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
ROY doesn't go to the first year player with the best future.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
ROY doesn't go to the first year player with the best future.

I realize that. Zherdev's numbers of 53 gp, 31 points and ranking 7th in rookie scoring are impressive, especially considering his difficult situation playing in a novel environment, language barrier, exile and the looming burden of military obligation.

However he plays on a non-playoff team with a -12 +/- definitely and an attitude that hurts his chances.

All I am saying is who is really more deserving this year? At the start of the season I would have said Fleury. I do not think that Ryder, having watched him play, is nothing more than a product of his environment. He pales in comparison to the skill of Ruutu and Zherdev. Malone is a star on the best AHL team that Lemieux can buy. Pitkanen is definitely worth consideration, however, anchoring the Philly pp with a +/- 15. His recent injury at his peak performance hurts his chances.

Zherdev is just reaching the tip of his potential. His recent play since the abitration ruling has been outstanding. Zherdev is the future of Columbus, exhibited through his play this season. I cannot say the same about Hunter, Bergeron, or Ryder.

Anyway, who do you think will win the Calder?

Thomas

Jul 10, 2003
Waterloo
2minutes.proboards23.com
Jenson said:
I realize that. Zherdev's numbers of 53 gp, 31 points and ranking 7th in rookie scoring are impressive, especially considering his difficult situation playing in a novel environment, language barrier, exile and the looming burden of military obligation.

However he plays on a non-playoff team with a -12 +/- definitely and an attitude that hurts his chances.

All I am saying is who is really more deserving this year? At the start of the season I would have said Fleury. I do not think that Ryder, having watched him play, is nothing more than a product of his environment. He pales in comparison to the skill of Ruutu and Zherdev. Malone is a star on the best AHL team that Lemieux can buy. Pitkanen is definitely worth consideration, however, anchoring the Philly pp with a +/- 15. His recent injury at his peak performance hurts his chances.

Zherdev is just reaching the tip of his potential. His recent play since the abitration ruling has been outstanding. Zherdev is the future of Columbus, exhibited through his play this season. I cannot say the same about Hunter, Bergeron, or Ryder.

Anyway, who do you think will win the Calder?

It doesnt matter what the players potential is, or how good his future will be compared to others, its what they have done this season.

Its a two horse race right now, Raycroft and Ryder. I dont see them awarding the Calder to Zherdev who has 29 pts less than Ryder, no matter what his potential is, Ryder has clearly been the best rookie forward this season.

Product of his environment? Hes 2nd in points on the team and has racked up the points with whomever and where ever he played this season. He may not be as skilled as Zherdev etc, but he makes up for it through his incredible effort. Clearly you havent seen him play as much as you have said, or else you would see a talented young player.

Raycroft should win it however.

Liquidrage*

Jenson said:
I think Zherdev will grow and mature, and is definitely, possibly aside from Ruutu, the most deserving of the Calder as the best rookie and potential for NHL star status.

What do you guys think?

I think the word "Calder" has no business being in your post.

Calder is based on the eligible rookie who had the best year.
Zherdev might make most people's Top 10 rookies based on play tihs year, but certinaly shouldn't even make a top 5.

Now, if we ignore the missuse of Calder criteria, I would still have a problem with the post as there 4 or 5 other rookies I'd rather have then Zherdev.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
I vthink that if Bergeron wasn't out for those games it would be him or Raycroft, my pick is Raycroft, he is finally solving the goltending problem in Beantown, and has played like an all-star all year.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Very fair arguments as to why Zherdev should not be considered a candidate for the Calder. I agree that Zherdev has not had the 'best overall' season w.r.t. team impact and overall success when considering other candidates.

I had overlooked Raycroft, who in retrospect, has had an outstanding season. I was not trying to take anything away from the success of Ryder or Hunter as well. I think that they have both had very successful rookie seasons, albeit, I do not see them developing into top line players. Ryder and Hunter are both 2nd line 55-60 pt players, which is definitely an asset to any team.

However, I believe that from this season's rookie pool, Zherdev, Ruutu, and Pitkanen definitely have the skills to develop into elite franchise players in this league. Basically, I believe that in 5 years the CV of the aforemetioned players will overshadow the success of players such as Ryder, Hunter, and Malone.

Anyway, obviously I overstated the potential for Zherdev to win the Calder, and should have focused my post thread on the player who has displayed potential to develop into elite NHL players.

Thanks for the responses.

Liquidrage*

Jenson said:
Anyway, obviously I overstated the potential for Zherdev to win the Calder, and should have focused my post thread on the player who has displayed potential to develop into elite NHL players.

Thanks for the responses.

I think you left out Stall from the potential class of this years crop.
Anyways, I did a poll a few weeks back basically asking which of this years rookie crop would you want the most of they were all UFA's and your team could have any of them, and pretending your team had no positional needs so position didn't matter.

Zherdev did very well in the pollm finishing 4th behind Pitkanen, Rutuu and Raycroft.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
It is a two horse race between Raycroft and Ryder. Both have been instramental to their teams success this season and wouldn't be where they are in the standings if they weren't a part of the team.

Hunter was a strong candiadte in the first 2/3rds of the season, but IMO Malone in Pitsburgh deserves more recognition for what he has done in Pittsburgh.

My three candidates:

Raycroft
Ryder
Malone

I would choose Ryder over Raycroft in a very close vote, Ryder getting more because of his climb and battle to get where he has in the league considering he was in the ECHL two years ago.

Gorgeous George

Mar 1, 2002
Temple Bar
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
I agree that Staal definitely ranks in the upper echelon of this year's rookies. I have watched Staal play quite a few games when he was with the Petes, but haven't had the chance to follow him too closely since joining the Canes.

Staal has all the tools to be a top line center in 4-5 years, I believe posting 75-80 pt numbers. However, Staal still has to mature physically before he will be an impact player. Staal's development should be taken along slower than more offensively gifted players such as Zherdev and Ruutu who are farther along, IMO. Zherdev is more of a one dimensional scoring threat, while Ruutu has had more time to develop his power-forward style of play. Staal on the other hand is a multi-faceted player capable of being a team leader, selke-type forward with great offensive upside. I don't see Staal having the same impact as Pitkanen, Ruutu, or Zherdev until a few years down the road.

Anyway, it sure will be interesting watching these guys get better.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Zherdev is extremely talented, however what hurts him i believe is that he hasn't played the entire season like Ryder, Raycroft, Malone, Staal, etc. My choice would be Raycroft.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
You can tell Zherdev has great talent. He's really benefitting right now from playing on Columbus. Against Nashville, they played with nothing but offense in mind. They usually had a forward (if the top 2 lines were out) hanging on the blueline waiting for a Jacket to gain possess and try to make a breakout. He had numerous chances against Nashville because this combined with poor puck decisions by the Preds led to a few breaks/partial breaks. What can I say, it's worked the past 4 games (both for Zherdev and CBJ). But I don't think he'd have the same success if he played for a Montreal or another team in the playoff hunt. I think CBJ is just having fun (isn't this what hockey's all about?) and that's the type of hockey that suites Nash and Zherdev.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
If Raycroft doesn't win the Calder something is seriously, seriously wrong with the NHL.

And why exactly is that? Raycroft is not the clear cut winner of the Calder. It's a neck and neck race with Ryder. People don't want to admit it but it's true. Both are putting up serious rookie seasons.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Liquidrage said:
Anyways, I did a poll a few weeks back basically asking which of this years rookie crop would you want the most of they were all UFA's and your team could have any of them, and pretending your team had no positional needs so position didn't matter.

Zherdev did very well in the pollm finishing 4th behind Pitkanen, Rutuu and Raycroft.

I'd take Horton over all four of those mentioned in the poll. If he had not been hurt this year it is likely that he could have won the award. He was just starting to heat up.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
RE-HABS said:
I

Hunter was a strong candiadte in the first 2/3rds of the season, but IMO Malone in Pitsburgh deserves more recognition for what he has done in Pittsburgh.

My three candidates:

Raycroft
Ryder
Malone

I would choose Ryder over Raycroft in a very close vote, Ryder getting more because of his climb and battle to get where he has in the league considering he was in the ECHL two years ago.

Playing in the ECHL a few years ago has nothing to do with the voting. I think Raycroft is the clear winner for the Calder.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Kritty said:
And why exactly is that? Raycroft is not the clear cut winner of the Calder. It's a neck and neck race with Ryder. People don't want to admit it but it's true. Both are putting up serious rookie seasons.

Yes, but which position is more important to a team? Raycroft has filled what has been a weakness for the Bruins, well since Jim Carey has that one good year. When a rookie goaltender comes in and leads his team to the playoffs, you pretty much have to give him the award.

Ryder has had a terrific season, but IMO it isn't even close. Raycroft wins the award by a wide margin in the voting.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
I've watched him play all season and he is definitely improving. I'm not going to say he should be the Calder winner, because he shouldn't. He came to late in the season and started out a little slowly.

Just a little food for thought
Zherdev has played in 14 games since his arbitration case has been decided.
He has 6 goals 9 assists for 15 points and is a +2. This is for a team that had a 8 game losing streak. If he was here all year with no controversy I think he probably would've won it.

Sanderson's ice time helps too.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Bruwinz20 said:
Playing in the ECHL a few years ago has nothing to do with the voting.

Sure it does. You can't say that it won't come into the minds of the people voting (PHWA, I believe) for the award. They'll think about both players; the road they took to the NHL, how they've been prepared all season, how they've played all season and what each player means to his team.

With that said, when looking at those factors...both have had great seasons. Raycroft is almost soley responsible for Boston's resurgence after their horrible December slide. Ryder has been the spark plug on that team all year. He's scored many timely goals and in combination with Ribeiro have helped to form the new look Canadiens, who have most certainly arrived on the NHL scene.

I wouldn't mind seeing two co-winners of the award this year. Especially in a year where there have been so many great rookie performances. I don't think that you can honestly, truthfully say that one guy was head and shoulders above the rest.

In my mind the biggest gap would be Raycroft-Ryder (1,2...2,1) and then some of the other kids like Malone, Hunter, Bergeron, Pitkanen, Liles, Zherdev, Staal, Horton etc.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
btn said:
Yes, but which position is more important to a team? Raycroft has filled what has been a weakness for the Bruins, well since Jim Carey has that one good year. When a rookie goaltender comes in and leads his team to the playoffs, you pretty much have to give him the award..
That actually sounds more like Hart trophy balloting there, but I get your point. I don't know about a wide margin (you can't belittle either's accomplishments... they've both made good cases for themselves). I agree that if a guy is close to being your team MVP as a rookie, how can he not be considered as a Calder favourite? True enough, and it's a good case. The problem with that, is it totally downplays the effort the bruins have put forth this whole second half (and I'm a habs fan, so this is kind of hard to say...). To say that Raycroft is the sole reason the bruins are where they are is insulting to the rest of the team. His accomplishment is being consistent and effective all season, while some key people have waited until the second half to come around. I mean, Thornton is almost a point per game and Murray has 30 goals. Another rookie, centerman Bergeron, putting up almost 40 pts, Samsonov (who missed the "3rd quarter" of the season) has put up almost 40 pts in just over 50 games... a lot of little key contributions going down the roster.

I'm not saying that he shouldn't win it, I just think the race is deservedly closer than some might say.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
If you want to know how this year's rookie of the year voting will go, just check out the year where Nabokov deservedly trounced his competition for the award. Raycroft will win handily, and deservedly so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->