OT: Cal Ripken—Revolutionary SS or Overrated Hack? Discuss

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agree with all this except fielding percentage - it's kind of a lame stat. Cal was big and relatively slow for a SS. No doubt he caught everything that came near him, but he wasn't rangy, and looking at fielding percentage punishes the rangy guys even though they are getting to balls Cal could not have gotten to.

Ripley was tangy in that he was moving on the pitch. So long as the pitch was close to what was called he got a bump on the ball. I will have to look up his record year but Iirc he made like errors and led the league in chances.

Edit. 1990. Set the record with 3 errors. He set the consecutive games without an error at 95. Which was 23 games better than the previous record. He won 2 gold gloves.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It would be like saying one of the trash goalies from the 60s was the GOAT bc he was the best of trash goalie era

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It would be like saying one of the trash goalies from the 60s was the GOAT bc he was the best of trash goalie era

Who said Ripken was/is the greatest of all time? Since he retired he has been eclipsed by several SS who came after him. But what he did, when he did it, put him at the very top of the SS list. Changing the game means those who come after you will be better, but when Cal broke in no one had seen a player like him at SS.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Agree with all this except fielding percentage - it's kind of a lame stat. Cal was big and relatively slow for a SS. No doubt he caught everything that came near him, but he wasn't rangy, and looking at fielding percentage punishes the rangy guys even though they are getting to balls Cal could not have gotten to.

Advanced stats disagree.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Note to self... Never tell an O's fan Cal Ripken Jr was overrated

Comparing Ripken to a trash goalie and so forth. its downright disrespectful. I posted this largely to note that the two best players in DC and Baltimore both wore 8. I never expected someone to decide to trash Ripken in the process.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Comparing Ripken to a trash goalie and so forth. its downright disrespectful. I posted this largely to note that the two best players in DC and Baltimore both wore 8. I never expected someone to decide to trash Ripken in the process.
What about all of the other athletes that played in the DC area and Baltimore that you just disrespected?
BTW I dont agree with assessment on Ripken. There were other athletes better than him.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
What about all of the other athletes that played in the DC area and Baltimore that you just disrespected?
BTW I dont agree with assessment on Ripken. There were other athletes better than him.

In the DC/Baltimore area? Who?

Probably Walter Johnson. Maybe Sammie Baugh. I suppose Ray Lewis has an argument.

But it's not a long list.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
In the DC/Baltimore area? Who?

Probably Walter Johnson. Maybe Sammie Baugh. I suppose Ray Lewis has an argument.

But it's not a long list.
What about some other orioles like Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson and Eddie Murray. Or some more Redskin players. Or you could include Johnny Unitas.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Sure. Johnny Unitas. Disrespected is harsh, but OK. I except that. I am an asshole afterall.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What about some other orioles like Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson and Eddie Murray. Or some more Redskin players. Or you could include Johnny Unitas.

I did mention Unitas after someone mentioned Ray Lewis. Frank and Brooks and Boog and Eddie Murray are all interesting conversations v Ripken. I worked for the Orioles in college in knew 3 of those people. I would argue for Ripken.

As for Redskins and Senators, other than Johnson who else would you put in that category? 28? Maybe. 9? You think Sonny was better than Johnny? I was a Hondo fan but I wouldn't put him in that group.

Meanwhile this is an Ov thread. If a mod wants to move this to off topic....

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I did mention Unitas after someone mentioned Ray Lewis. Frank and Brooks and Boog and Eddie Murray are all interesting conversations v Ripken. I worked for the Orioles in college in knew 3 of those people. I would argue for Ripken.

As for Redskins and Senators, other than Johnson who else would you put in that category? 28? Maybe. 9? You think Sonny was better than Johnny? I was a Hondo fan but I wouldn't put him in that group.

Meanwhile this is an Ov thread. If a mod wants to move this to off topic....
I'm sorry but I dont feel Ripken is as great as you make him out to be. He was a very good player. Good hitter and good fielder, not a great base runner. Even though he had a good fielding percentage I just didn't see him as a great defensive shortstop because he didnt have the range most shortstops at that time had.
I dont compare a position by offensive stats. In the batting lineup he is just another hitter. I understand why teams started going in that direction. To get more offensive players in the line up. But being a good hitter doesnt make him a better Short stop.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
I'm sorry but I dont feel Ripken is as great as you make him out to be. He was a very good player. Good hitter and good fielder, not a great base runner. Even though he had a good fielding percentage I just didn't see him as a great defensive shortstop because he didnt have the range most shortstops at that time had.
I dont compare a position by offensive stats. In the batting lineup he is just another hitter. I understand why teams started going in that direction. To get more offensive players in the line up. But being a good hitter doesnt make him a better Short stop.

Advanced stats tell us that Ripken was a historically great shortstop. Among the very best.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Is Matt Weiters an elite catcher because he's a average batter for the position and larger in size then most catchers?

Bc that sounds like the Cal debate

.250 hitting sucks and doing that 7 prime seasons is enough to deem him vastly overrated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad