Confirmed with Link: Cal Foote signed to 3 yr ELC

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
70 in 60 as a defensive defenseman in Kelowna. Looks like a very promising prospect. Hopefully we will see him in Tampa soon!

Or in Ottawa ;)

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
That isn't the most proper/common use of the term defensive defenseman.
Hes more of a defensive minded guy from my viewings of him in junior. Anyway his stats are solid and he has led his team to a good record this season in kelowna so seems like we have a solid prospect.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He's going to be a Dion Phaneuf type player. Has the potential to come in right away and if given PP time out up big offensive numbers and be a top 4 guy. Will be a top 4 guy his whole career with some years playing as a top 2 guy. He's a two way guy, what side he is better at depends on what his team needs more. He definitely favored the offensive side more this year and he put up big numbers, his defensive side was still really good too. Not saying he will be anything like Hedman but Hedman can be great on either end of the rink if he wants but most of the time he sacrifices one for the other, I can see similar in Foote.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
He's going to be a Dion Phaneuf type player. Has the potential to come in right away and if given PP time out up big offensive numbers and be a top 4 guy. Will be a top 4 guy his whole career with some years playing as a top 2 guy. He's a two way guy, what side he is better at depends on what his team needs more. He definitely favored the offensive side more this year and he put up big numbers, his defensive side was still really good too. Not saying he will be anything like Hedman but Hedman can be great on either end of the rink if he wants but most of the time he sacrifices one for the other, I can see similar in Foote.

If we're lucky we get Phaneuf prior to the Leafs trade

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
If we're lucky we get Phaneuf prior to the Leafs trade

He was a #1 on the Leafs though. A low end #1 but still the top guy on those teams. It's not his fault everything around him was a disaster. He would've been better as a #2 but they didn't have a #1 to push him down. If he's that player here he might even be a #3 because we have Hedman and Sergachev in a few years should be a #2.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He was a #1 on the Leafs though. A low end #1 but still the top guy on those teams. It's not his fault everything around him was a disaster. He would've been better as a #2 but they didn't have a #1 to push him down. If he's that player here he might even be a #3 because we have Hedman and Sergachev in a few years should be a #2.

Not a bad place to learn to play NHL D. Learn from some other high draft picks.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Serge by far.

If he doesn't become more interested in defending then it won't be him. Sergachev is far more talented and skilled I just don't know if he has the desire Foote has. Foote even with PP time most likely can't match Sergachev in point production but will be the far superior defensive player. So if Foote can produce somewhat close to Sergachev while being better in his own end it could be close. Sergachev just seems like he doesn't want to make any contact or get physical along the boards to win any battles, he isn't going to become a top pair guy playing like that.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
If he doesn't become more interested in defending then it won't be him. Sergachev is far more talented and skilled I just don't know if he has the desire Foote has. Foote even with PP time most likely can't match Sergachev in point production but will be the far superior defensive player. So if Foote can produce somewhat close to Sergachev while being better in his own end it could be close. Sergachev just seems like he doesn't want to make any contact or get physical along the boards to win any battles, he isn't going to become a top pair guy playing like that.

Granted I don't see Foote play at all, but Foote's not exactly a defensive stud either right? Which is why you compared him to Phaneuf? Who in his early days was considered a two-way defense-man but more favorable on the offensive side. Sample size is small but he was pretty exposed on D in the World Jr's, although his offensive production this year is very impressive given it's in the WHL. Hasn't skating always been a knack on him as well?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Granted I don't see Foote play at all, but Foote's not exactly a defensive stud either right? Which is why you compared him to Phaneuf? Who in his early days was considered a two-way defense-man but more favorable on the offensive side. Sample size is small but he was pretty exposed on D in the World Jr's, although his offensive production this year is very impressive given it's in the WHL. Hasn't skating always been a knack on him as well?

He's a very good defender, not an absolute stud like his dad or anything. With his size and willingness to engage he could become a shutdown guy if he wanted but he has really good offensive instincts and skills you don't want to hold back. In junior you could be a good defender just by being larger than the other kids and able to push them around in your own zone. Foote can do that but he also has good gap control, strong on the boards and can easily skate it out. I believe he's similar sized to Dotchin, Dotchin was a good shutdown defender in junior because he was huge and could mail kids but lacked the other skills to be a legit top 4. Foote can do that and has all the other skills that will keep him in the top 4 and stay there while pushing being a top pair guy.

I compared him to Phaneuf because depending on what side they want them to favor is how good they'll be. Phaneuf in junior from what I recall was better defensively and a little worse offensively. Way more wreckless too while Foote is much more methodical. Phaneuf was put in a great situation his early couple of years which allowed his offense to really stand out but hurt his defensive side. Then later in his career he focused on the other and his production slipped, still being good enough on both sides to be a top 4 and top pair guy. Foote can be that too if they let his offensive blossom early, if they hinder it early he may not be able to get it back later and just becomes a more defensive oriented guy. He wasn't exposed in the WJC either, he had a partner who was weak he had to cover for a lot but was out there in a lot of important situations. The WJC clearly favors skilled players, which Foote has, but he still plays a typical CHL game which is a more physical based game so he won't really stand out in that tournament. His skating also isn't that bad, he's not a Dotchin back there, not Hedman either but closer to that than having bricks on his feet.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
IMO, Serge is a guy you build a partner around his game. You have to let him be free offensively. He's never going to be Hedman defensively so you need a very defensively minded partner for him.

Not saying he doesn't need to tighten up in his own end, but he's a kid. It'll come. You just don't want to try and turn him into something he isn't and ruin what makes him such a special player.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
IMO, Serge is a guy you build a partner around his game. You have to let him be free offensively. He's never going to be Hedman defensively so you need a very defensively minded partner for him.

Not saying he doesn't need to tighten up in his own end, but he's a kid. It'll come. You just don't want to try and turn him into something he isn't and ruin what makes him such a special player.

I agree, I think Cernak is a perfect partner for him too. You still need to act like you want to defend though, he just looks like if he doesn't have the puck on his stick he doesn't care. I don't want us to hinder his offense either, I actually wish we allowed him to use it more but they wanted to keep his minutes down it seemed. I'm not too concerned with him because I think his offense is good enough to make up for his weak defense. He can be a Karlsson lite or Mike Green type guy who is dangerous offensively and gets by in their own end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->