Confirmed with Link: Cal Foote re-signed | 2 years, $850K AAV

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Nice, brings us up to 20 signed players for the NHL roster, with right at 2m left to spend.

Reactions: NatoGhost

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
200.gif

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
OH, are we at the cap floor yet?

Asking for some depressed friends....:sarcasm:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Alright! Should be fun to see if he’s improved. He got a lot better after the first couple of games. Skating is still the main weakness.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Damn. Isn't that less than what his ELC was? Thought he'd get a mil.

His ELC AAV was higher but all ELC are two way deals. So when he was in the minors he was on a 70k a year deal even though his AAV was 925k. He got a signing bonus every season and his salary in the NHL was over 800k. This deal makes his salary higher no matter the league he's in.

Reactions: The Gongshow

DaBolts

Feb 3, 2015
Gonna need this kid to take a big step forward. That’s asking a lot, it took Heddy about 4 years to turn the corner.

This. Imagine Foote after 2 years.

Hell it took Serge 2 years to figure it all out and he did it under fire in the playoffs!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
His ELC AAV was higher but all ELC are two way deals. So when he was in the minors he was on a 70k a year deal even though his AAV was 925k. He got a signing bonus every season and his salary in the NHL was over 800k. This deal makes his salary higher no matter the league he's in.
Thanks for the info Hose!!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Gonna need this kid to take a big step forward. That’s asking a lot, it took Heddy about 4 years to turn the corner.

We need to stop making this comparison. Hedman had a VASTLY different skillset, and no achilles heel.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Defenseman in general take time.

So Sustr is like two years away from being Chara?

The skillset is the skillset. There's a fatal flaw in Foote's game that has never been fixed. It's not like Sergachev where, even when he's making mistakes, you can see the raw skills. Foote's skating is beyond poor. He's easily the worst skater on a team that includes Luke Schenn. And he's had four years to improve it. It's not like this is a new guy to the franchise who's never met Barb Underhill.

Yes, defensemen take time, and if Foote could skate like the wind, he would still take time to develop. But if he can barely skate at 23 years old, the problem isn't how much time he's had to develop. The problem is he's really, really slow.

Reactions: Peacefool

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
So Sustr is like two years away from being Chara?

The skillset is the skillset. There's a fatal flaw in Foote's game that has never been fixed. It's not like Sergachev where, even when he's making mistakes, you can see the raw skills. Foote's skating is beyond poor. He's easily the worst skater on a team that includes Luke Schenn. And he's had four years to improve it. It's not like this is a new guy to the franchise who's never met Barb Underhill.

Yes, defensemen take time, and if Foote could skate like the wind, he would still take time to develop. But if he can barely skate at 23 years old, the problem isn't how much time he's had to develop. The problem is he's really, really slow.
J.C. my only point was defenseman take time. Lots of d-men look slow and unsure at the beginning of their careers. That’s not to say Foote will even be any good. I used Hedman as an example because a lot of us thought after just after a couple years he was gonna be a bust.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I really hope Foote has been hitting the gym for leg day over the last 4 months he's had off. If you want to fix the 1-2 stride explosiveness as a 6'4"+ NHL defenseman you have to build some lower body strength, which is one of the reason they take a little longer than even your typical defender.

Squats and leg extensions, we should be able to tell right away at camp if he's put in the work.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I really hope Foote has been hitting the gym for leg day over the last 4 months he's had off. If you want to fix the 1-2 stride explosiveness as a 6'4"+ NHL defenseman you have to build some lower body strength, which is one of the reason they take a little longer than even your typical defender.

Squats and leg extensions, we should be able to tell right away at camp if he's put in the work.
I also hope that he was just f#%^#ing Schenns brain with words "teach me how to use my body,teach me how to be tough,teach me teach me" this could compensate his poor skating a little

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
J.C. my only point was defenseman take time. Lots of d-men look slow and unsure at the beginning of their careers. That’s not to say Foote will even be any good. I used Hedman as an example because a lot of us thought after just after a couple years he was gonna be a bust.
They don't look as slow as he does. It's a fatal flaw, IMO. He might wind up a decent third pairing guy, but he's beyond the blue chip phase. His skating didn't get any better.

I mean, if he can't bump Luke Schenn out of big games by now, I'm not sure what difference a few more years will make. He will still be too slow for a top 4 role, unless somebody is babysitting him.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
They don't look as slow as he does. It's a fatal flaw, IMO. He might wind up a decent third pairing guy, but he's beyond the blue chip phase. His skating didn't get any better.

I mean, if he can't bump Luke Schenn out of big games by now, I'm not sure what difference a few more years will make. He will still be too slow for a top 4 role, unless somebody is babysitting him.
You may very well be right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad