Player Discussion: Cal Clutterbuck

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
First off hope there is not any permanent damage for him post hockey but does anyone have any idea how long a tendon injury like that would keep him out ? All I heard was he will be back this season.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
In yesterday's Leafs/Devils game, Ilya Mikheyev got an almost identical injury; artery and tendons severed in his wrist by a skate coming up. Successful surgery, but expected to be out for three months.

If they are going to insist on wearing gloves that are too short to protect the wrists, they had better start wearing Kevlar wrist bands.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
In yesterday's Leafs/Devils game, Ilya Mikheyev got an almost identical injury; artery and tendons severed in his wrist by a skate coming up. Successful surgery, but expected to be out for three months.

If they are going to insist on wearing gloves that are too short to protect the wrists, they had better start wearing Kevlar wrist bands.

For me, I've always hated having anything on my wrist. I usually bunch my sleeves up on the elbow pads as much as possible to leave my wrists free. It's probably not a bad idea to wear something like a Kevlar sleeve down in that area though.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Clutterbuck has yet to lace up the skates but is working out. "He’s progressing well," coach Barry Trotz said. "He’s doing some stuff with biking, exercising, that type of thing. He hasn’t hit the ice yet and, when he does, it will be a while before he can do what he needs to do. Honestly, I don’t have a timeline on that. He’s going to progress from working on the stationary bike to being on the ice. He’ll do that without a stick for a while. The stick will come, strengthen it, shooting it. Stickhandling will be the next component. But he’s not at that point yet." Stay tuned.
https://www.rotoworld.com/hockey/nhl/player/24089/cal-clutterbuck

Best case scenario. 3-4 weeks? The good news is his shot would rarely hit the net anyway.

But seriously, he is a valuable player for the Isles.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m no doctor, but that sounds like a loooong time before clutter is back. I’d say gone for the year. And if it was anything like Yashin injury, he’ll never be the same again.
I'm an optimist. Perhaps wishful thinking. I know players that have played with broken wrists. They just don't take wrist shots, or take bad wrist shots. Cal is a tough warrior. When word came out he played with severe injuries last year I could not believe it. If he were a scorer than he would not be a player that can help. But he can do the things that help out the ID line. He can still skate, hit, and play positional defensive hockey. PK too. Having this is still better than no Cal IMHO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Back then and even today. Huge hats off to Cal Clutterbuck. He carried play for the 4th line yesterday, in game 3 of the semi finals, had five shots, scored a goal and was involved physically.
He's a very tough player, plays hurt often and sacrifices his body for the team. He is under contract for one more year, it will be interesting to see what the Isles decide to do with him.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Do we extend him now, or wait until his current contract expires?

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
such a tough call. can we LTIR him for a broken fingernail and get a fresh clutterbuck for the playoffs the next few years? Close to impossible to compete like this game 21 on a tuesday night in say for example Buffalo, or a west coast trip.

Reactions: Olliemets

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's been a warrior for the Isles. Just as I reminded a poster on the Main board. There is intrinsic value to players like him. We would not be where we are right now without the ID line. I think all Isles fans know this.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
He's a very tough player, plays hurt often and sacrifices his body for the team. He is under contract for one more year, it will be interesting to see what the Isles decide to do with him.

I think for guys like Clutter they are going to realize they will need to take pay cuts to stay on this team. Lou is not gonna hand out a lot of money for guys like him. Thing is, I think he takes a pay cut and stays.

Reactions: danteipp

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think for guys like Clutter they are going to realize they will need to take pay cuts to stay on this team. Lou is not gonna hand out a lot of money for guys like him. Thing is, I think he takes a pay cut and stays.
Matty Marts has already shown the way on that one. If you love being on this team and culture, you stay. Lou is always loyal to people that are loyal to his plan. I think he will look after Matt when he retires. Guys that make 7M can probably look after themselves after their careers are over. Cal has made almost 31M in career earnings, if he invested well he should be set up for life. Martin 16.5M. Not chump change but he can use a boost post career. I hope Cal will take a discount and I think he may just do that.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We should have a poll during the summer: would you do the Nino for Cal deal all over again? Because there was a time where the results would have been 90% plus "NO".

You'll have to believe me on this, but way back when the playoffs were mostly in our dreams I thought that Clutterbuck might be the kind of guy you'd be very happy to have in the playoffs. I'm sure many others felt the same.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Matty Marts has already shown the way on that one. If you love being on this team and culture, you stay. Lou is always loyal to people that are loyal to his plan. I think he will look after Matt when he retires. Guys that make 7M can probably look after themselves after their careers are over. Cal has made almost 31M in career earnings, if he invested well he should be set up for life. Martin 16.5M. Not chump change but he can use a boost post career. I hope Cal will take a discount and I think he may just do that.

Matty would seemingly make a great coach, starting out in the AHL and working his way up, or be fantastic on the Isles broadcast and then eventually going national.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad