Player Discussion: Cal Clutterbuck

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Reading this, I can't believe he was even playing last year. Big props to Cal. Still the best #4 line but better, that isn't really a #4th line in hockey.

Every player seems to say/think that whatever they did in the offseason was terrific and they're feeling great. Hopefully in his case (and all the Isles really) his offseason surgery and rehab has put him in a good place for the upcoming season.

I've always held out hope that Cal would start putting up some offensive numbers as he does seem to have some skill there. But to this point, he really hasn't broken free. I'll take the status quo and be content as its been long enough that getting your hopes up doesn't really make sense. If he can do what he did last year and the line in general is effective, I'll take it.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Every player seems to say/think that whatever they did in the offseason was terrific and they're feeling great. Hopefully in his case (and all the Isles really) his offseason surgery and rehab has put him in a good place for the upcoming season.

I've always held out hope that Cal would start putting up some offensive numbers as he does seem to have some skill there. But to this point, he really hasn't broken free. I'll take the status quo and be content as its been long enough that getting your hopes up doesn't really make sense. If he can do what he did last year and the line in general is effective, I'll take it.
They always say that but I am encouraged by some. When Eberle says he had a great offseason.. idk I don't buy it. Baby news is great though, he should get that baby bonus all players seem to get like Bailey and Nelson.

But Brassard seems genuine and believable, no injuries like his other offseasons so that's great for him. Clutterbuck and Ladd, I think we all had them (not that we're their doctors) not making training camp but they're both at least skating.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here is a stat that I am pretty sure not many will have noticed, but it is worth noting. Cal Clutterbuck has yet to give up a goal 5 v 5 this year. He leads the NHL in GA60 for players that have played atleast 100 mins, which is significant sampling thus far this season.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Here is a stat that I am pretty sure not many will have noticed, but it is worth noting. Cal Clutterbuck has yet to give up a goal 5 v 5 this year. He leads the NHL in GA60 for players that have played atleast 100 mins, which is significant sampling thus far this season.

Don’t mention that. Many People get weirded out on this board if you mention anything that resembles advanced analytics.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Don’t mention that. Many People get weirded out on this board if you mention anything that resembles advanced analytics.
Alot of people focus on offence solely but like Lou i like the net analogy. GA60 is a very simple measurement of defensive efficiency on the ice. What Clutterbuck has done has been remarkable thus far.

Reactions: dood

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Cal Clutterbuck has also not given up a goal when eating at least 4 carrot sticks on the first Tuesday of any month.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
That is a great stat. He still can't hit the ocean from beach though. :D
Also true.

My daughter-in-law is friends with Cbuck's sister, and when I brought up his surgery, she said, "Yeah, his back was pretty bad".

So, it's good to hear that he's closer to optimum. He can be a real asset, especially when the going gets heavy. He's got enough skills still, that he can pop in an important goal for us, every now and then.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Also true.

My daughter-in-law is friends with Cbuck's sister, and when I brought up his surgery, she said, "Yeah, his back was pretty bad".

So, it's good to hear that he's closer to optimum. He can be a real asset, especially when the going gets heavy. He's got enough skills still, that he can pop in an important goal for us, every now and then.
Speaking of important goals, he was tied with Tavares for most gamewinners (5) on the team a few seasons ago. A third of the goals he scored that season were gwg.

Keyserfrans

Feb 14, 2015
In the playoffs last year, he was top 2 in TOI, until he got rocked.
Was baffled when i saw that, i guess Trotz know a thing or 2 on hockey?
The other top 2 was Brock....

EDIT: top 2 TOI of the forwards

Reactions: dood

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He definitely is not throwing his body around like he has in the past. Probably a good thing for his health - long term and short. I always felt that he’s been a tad unlucky in the goal scoring department. He has the skill to be a 15 goal scorer but just somehow never quite gets it together.

glad to see him getting off the shnide...

Reactions: Fixxer and buud

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
001F6059-A15D-47E7-97A0-61B7E1B92A79.jpeg

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Kudos to clutter. Other than Strait, he was my least favorite Isle for a few years. When we first got him, I thought he took himself out of too many plays to go for unnecessary hits when the other team was breaking out which left him behind the play and truly believed he didn't know the meaning of the word pass(actually I thought he was unable to because he couldn't for his life).. but man has his game improved. Disciplined, reliable. I was at the game the other night and in my head there was a 100% chance he was going to shoot on the shorthanded rush but he put a beautiful pass on Casey's stick for the shortie.. Glad he is healthy and it is showing, keep it up Cal. Happy to be proved wrong in this case.

Reactions: JoeM and PWJunior

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Kudos to clutter. Other than Strait, he was my least favorite Isle for a few years. When we first got him, I thought he took himself out of too many plays to go for unnecessary hits when the other team was breaking out which left him behind the play and truly believed he didn't know the meaning of the word pass(actually I thought he was unable to because he couldn't for his life).. but man has his game improved. Disciplined, reliable. I was at the game the other night and in my head there was a 100% chance he was going to shoot on the shorthanded rush but he put a beautiful pass on Casey's stick for the shortie.. Glad he is healthy and it is showing, keep it up Cal. Happy to be proved wrong in this case.

And he was always really good at hitting the goalie's crest. Or the glass behind the goal. We haven't seen the same bone crushing hits as we've seen in the past (especially with Martin out), but what we've seen is good, disciplined hockey that is contributing to our winning streak. Good on him.

JohnTonelliRises

Tonelli Approves↑
Sep 29, 2006
Connecticut

Cal is not even in the same league as Capuano's warrior (haha)! The reason why he looked out of place at times (pre-Trotz) was because he was mis-matched or put on the ice without a strategy. Now, the 3rd/4th line is focused and plays with intent.

Maybe we signed him for too much, but he was never lacking a skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->