Proposal: CAL + BUF + OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Look man how many picks do we actually need???There is likely no way we will pick 7 players in the first two rounds...

Our pool isnt exactly empty to begin with,it was already pretty deep...Just in goalies we have 4 ,Hodgeberg,Daccord,Gustafson and Soogard...
Want a winger Formenton ,Batherson,Balcers,Abramov..Center,try Brown,Norris Pinto....Defense,Bransstrom Wolanin,JBD,Thompson...
Add in the players that are already on the team, and trading for more picks/prospects isnt really a need for this team...We need to actually try to put the team together with some NHL talent

I have a different strategy than most when it comes to how a rebuilding team should be constructed, so your perception of the needs of the team is irrelevant

I'm proposing what I would do given my perception of the situation

Last edited:

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I think this makes more sense:

Calgary sends Lucic+15th to Ottawa for Ryan (30% retained)+49th+79th.
Seems kinda fair given Bobby is still an NHL player and Lucic, well... Deal makes more sense for Ottawa who get an extra year of a high cap hit but actually owe Bobby 15 mil over the next 2 years, where Lucic will be owed 10 million for 3 after July 1. And will probably end up on LTIR at some point. Melnyk will save money but sens get the same cap hit for an extra year. Calgary can downgrades their pick but at getting a much more useful player at a smaller price.

Then Ottawa sends 15th+Tierney+2021 2nd (CBJ) with Zaitsev to Buffalo for 7th+38th and Okposo.

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017

Seems kinda fair given Bobby is still an NHL player and Lucic, well... Deal makes more sense for Ottawa who get an extra year of a high cap hit but actually owe Bobby 15 mil over the next 2 years, where Lucic will be owed 10 million for 3 after July 1. And will probably end up on LTIR at some point. Melnyk will save money but sens get the same cap hit for an extra year. Calgary can downgrades their pick but at getting a much more useful player at a smaller price.

Then Ottawa sends 15th+Tierney+2021 2nd (CBJ) with Zaitsev to Buffalo for 7th+38th and Okposo.

Id want more retention if we're only getting a late 2nd back, Ryan isn't any better than Lucic and is owed more money, I'm not sending a 1st with Lucic and getting Ryan back unless its at 50% , 1sts are valuable in the league,main peices for trades like D. Hamilton, F. Andersen, M. Jones, Mark Stone etc... the only team to give up a 1st to trade cap away isToronto, you want that kind of commission go speak to them.

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
You can't both be right, so which is it?

He's so obviously a buffalo fan as well its so funny how he only mentions Anisimov as the trade piece he is receiving and completely ignores the fact that Okposo has 3 years/ 6 mil and that buffalo acquires someone that's most likely gonna be a 2C and the 15ova and 18 ova picks.

Ill say this tho. It all depends on what you see Mittelstadt becoming. But why would Calgary do this?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Yeah no.

I'd rather have physical Lucic on the bottom six, than a useless 33 year old Bobby Ryan. Lucic is actually quite solid for the flames. He's paid way too much for his role.

The Flames are giving up a first and not actually saving any cap?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's so obviously a buffalo fan as well its so funny how he only mentions Anisimov as the trade piece he is receiving and completely ignores the fact that Okposo has 3 years/ 6 mil and that buffalo acquires someone that's most likely gonna be a 2C and the 15ova and 18 ova picks.

Ill say this tho. It all depends on what you see Mittelstadt becoming. But why would Calgary do this?
Calgary won't do this. They desperately need higher end picks.

Also Lucic plays a valuable role in the team. He's about 3 million overpaid, but Calgary is not giving up a first to move 3 million in cap space.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Okposo's base salary is only $9 million over the final 3 years of his contract. Cap hit of $18 million.

That's $9 million Melynk doesn't have to spend towards the cap floor.

This is exactly the kind of contract that should entice Melnyk.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Also Lucic plays a valuable role in the team. He's about 3 million overpaid, but Calgary is not giving up a first to move 3 million in cap space.

Sabres fans feel the same way about Okposo. So seeing the OP is hellbent on trading these guys, straight swap? Lucic for Okposo? :naughty:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Personally, I think he's overpaid at anything above the league minimum

Last edited:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don't think there's a team in the NHL that would sign Lucic for 2.25 million a season if he were a free-agent

Personally, I think he's overpaid at anything above the league minimum

I disagree. He's very popular among teammates and fans. He leads the Flames in hits. He's played on a bottom line without any complaints.

I'm hoping the Flames can buy Lucic out with the rumoured compliance buyout. I'd love to re-sign him after that. However, I see too much competition for his services, as he'll be willing to sign cheap.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I disagree. He's very popular among teammates and fans. He leads the Flames in hits. He's played on a bottom line without any complaints.

I'm hoping the Flames can buy Lucic out with the rumoured compliance buyout. I'd love to re-sign him after that. However, I see too much competition for his services, as he'll be willing to sign cheap.

Yeah, I'll edit my previous message about what other teams would do

I shouldn't have speculated to that degree

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Flames > #15, Lucic
Flames < #79, #95, Zaitsev

Sabres > #7, Mittelstadt, Okposo
Sabres < #15, #18, White, Anisimov

Sens > #18, White, Anisimov, Zaitsev
Sens < #7, Mittelstadt, Lucic, Okposo

Calgary pick up a RHD to offset the potential loss of Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone in free-agency, while also dumping the remaining 3 years of Lucic's contract

Buffalo pick up some needed depth at center with White and Anisimov, a pair of mid-round 1sts, and also dump the remaining 3 years of Okposo's contract

Ottawa land another top 10 pick, as well as a young reclamation project with upside

Please stop posting these things unless you actually put some thought into it.

Calgary is giving up Lucic and a number one draft pick for Zaitsev who is terrible and barely a bottom pairing guy and while the Flames would save $750,000 a year but that would be off set by having an extra year of Zaitsev's contract. and a couple of lower picks. This is atrocious and brutal for the Flames.

This is the worst for the Flames.

Reactions: Flyer lurker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->