Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Flames > #15, Lucic
Flames < #79, #95, Zaitsev

Sabres > #7, Mittelstadt, Okposo
Sabres < #15, #18, White, Anisimov

Sens > #18, #79, #95,White, Anisimov, Zaitsev
Sens < #7, Mittelstadt, Lucic, Okposo

Calgary pick up a RHD to offset the potential loss of Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone in free-agency, while also dumping the remaining 3 years of Lucic's contract

Buffalo pick up some needed depth at center with White and Anisimov, a pair of mid-round 1sts, and also dump the remaining 3 years of Okposo's contract

Ottawa land another top 10 pick, as well as a young reclamation project with upside

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Zaitsev is on a trash contract as well... f*** no. With our prospect pool, we aren't trading a first to get rid of Lucic.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Not sure why you keep including Ottawa as a place for cap dumps. They literally have the cheapest owner around. There is no way he takes on Lucic and Okposo while still having Bobby Ryan.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Trading a 1st for 750k in cap space doesnt seem to add up to me. While I would definitely prefer Zaitsev to Lucic the savings don't match up with what we're proposed to be giving up. The Flames have traded away a lot of high end picks for moves that are questionable with how much better they make them, and have gotten away with it because of some hits in the later rounds, but that can't last forever and the Flames should look to hold onto their first instead of using it for a contract dump.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Trading a 1st for 750k in cap space doesnt seem to add up to me. While I would definitely prefer Zaitsev to Lucic the savings don't match up with what we're proposed to be giving up. The Flames have traded away a lot of high end picks for moves that are questionable with how much better they make them, and have gotten away with it because of some hits in the later rounds, but that can't last forever and the Flames should look to hold onto their first instead of using it for a contract dump.

It's not just the cap savings

Zaitsev - who averaged 22 minutes a game last season - is a capable player who fills a need for the Flames (assuming Brodie & Hamonic go elsewhere)

Calgary could use the available cap space from the departing Brodie/Hamonic to to upgrade offensively at forward

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You know owns Ottawa right? He's not paying Lucic and Okposo unless the return is huge. Moving up 11 spots and a stalled out prospect is no where close

They're also shedding the remaining 4 years on Zaitsev's contract, and the remaining 5 years of White's deal

So, yeah, they're paying a little more upfront, but in 3 years they'll have no excess contracts on the books when it comes time to extend their haul of prospects from this year's draft

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
They're also shedding the remaining 4 years on Zaitsev's contract, and the remaining 5 years of White's deal

So, yeah, they're paying a little more upfront, but in 3 years they'll have no excess contracts on the books when it comes time to extend their haul of prospects from this year's draft

No guarantee Melnyk owns the team in 4-5 years, doubt he ever wants to pay money today with the promise of potential savings tomorrow.

Also why the need for literally 5 threads with slightly different iterations of the same deal? Amend the OP or make changes in further posts instead of starting a new one every 12 hours; or just take the hint that everyone involved doesn’t like the deal and move on.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

Let's give it more than a year to call foul on White's contract. White is not the first player to slump in his second full year.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
This is atrocious, why would Buffalo downgrade from #7 for that? Mittlestadt is much more valuable than Anisimov, Okposo while overpaid is still contributing so no reason to move him as Buffalo isn't up against the cap.
Hopefully this is Buffalo's last top 10 pick for quite awhile so unless its packaged for a significant upgrade to Center its not moveable.

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
So let me get this straight... we are losing a first and White just to dump Zaitsev and Anisimov (who is a UFA next year) just to get Mittelstadt and take on Lucic and Okposo? What the hell?

Zahra Starker

Mar 3, 2020
Toronto
Flames > #15, Lucic
Flames < #79, #95, Zaitsev

Sabres > #7, Mittelstadt, Okposo
Sabres < #15, #18, White, Anisimov

Sens > #18, White, Anisimov, Zaitsev
Sens < #7, Mittelstadt, Lucic, Okposo

Calgary pick up a RHD to offset the potential loss of Brodie, Hamonic, and Stone in free-agency, while also dumping the remaining 3 years of Lucic's contract

Buffalo pick up some needed depth at center with White and Anisimov, a pair of mid-round 1sts, and also dump the remaining 3 years of Okposo's contract

Ottawa land another top 10 pick, as well as a young reclamation project with upside

It is so obvious you are a buffalo fan. Buffalo make out like bandits.

Mittelstadt doesn't have near the value you think he does.

You would prob have to pay #7 ova to get rid of okposo's terrible contract.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So let me get this straight... we are losing a first and White just to dump Zaitsev and Anisimov (who is a UFA next year) just to get Mittelstadt and take on Lucic and Okposo? What the hell?

Ottawa is also getting the #7 pick

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ottawa is also getting the #7 pick
Cant see this one either ,both Lucic and Oko are just owed way too much money for our owner to contemplate this one ...Besides White ,while he has had a bad second season he is still young enough to turn it around

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Cant see this one either ,both Lucic and Oko are just owed way too much money for our owner to contemplate this one ...Besides White ,while he has had a bad second season he is still young enough to turn it around

There's a cap floor though that must be reached in order for Ottawa to comply with the CBA

This season it was 60 million, so Ottawa might actually need bloated contracts to reach the cap floor until the extensions kick in on their picks from this year's draft

Those extensions will kick in 3 years - the same time Okposo and Lucic come off the books

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
There's a cap floor though that must be reached in order for Ottawa to comply with the CBA

This season it was 60 million, so Ottawa might actually need bloated contracts to reach the cap floor until the extensions kick in on their picks from this year's draft

Those extensions will kick in 3 years - the same time Okposo and Lucic come off the books
We have our players to sign still...And we dont need that much dead weight

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you do a drinking game where Okposo gets traded by sabers by this fan, and they receive no bad contract back you will be passed out.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
If you do a drinking game where Okposo gets traded by sabers by this fan, and they receive no bad contract back you will be passed out.
True - If you do a drinking game where other teams’ fans propose to dump awful contracts on Ottawa without giving up assets to “help them meet the floor” you’d be dead.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No guarantee Melnyk owns the team in 4-5 years, doubt he ever wants to pay money today with the promise of potential savings tomorrow.

Also why the need for literally 5 threads with slightly different iterations of the same deal? Amend the OP or make changes in further posts instead of starting a new one every 12 hours; or just take the hint that everyone involved doesn’t like the deal and move on.

I make proposals based on what I would do if I were in charge, so it's irrelevant whether Melnyk would approve

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I make proposals based on what I would do if I were in charge, so it's irrelevant whether Melnyk would approve
In charge of whom?? The Buffalo Sabres??Why does Ottawa need to do this again??
We have boatloads of high picks and prospects, along with some very good talent coming along at the NHL level...

Why on earth do we need to take trash contracts to fill out cap?? Why cant we trade for or sign some decent players,to round out what looks to be a very good rebuild???

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In charge of whom?? The Buffalo Sabres??Why does Ottawa need to do this again??
We have boatloads of high picks and prospects, along with some very good talent coming along at the NHL level...

Why on earth do we need to take trash contracts to fill out cap?? Why cant we trade for or sign some decent players,to round out what looks to be a very good rebuild???

What can I say? I'm a fan of building through the draft

Also, free-agents aren't choosing Ottawa unless the Senators are the highest bidder, which means they're being overpaid, so building through free-agency is a no-go

And, sure, you can trade for players, but then you're forced to give up assets - something a rebuilding team shouldn't do

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
What can I say? I'm a fan of building through the draft

Also, free-agents aren't choosing Ottawa unless the Senators are the highest bidder, which means they're being overpaid, so building through free-agency is a no-go

And, sure, you can trade for players, but then you're forced to give up assets - something a rebuilding team shouldn't do
Look man how many picks do we actually need???There is likely no way we will pick 7 players in the first two rounds...

Our pool isnt exactly empty to begin with,it was already pretty deep...Just in goalies we have 4 ,Hodgeberg,Daccord,Gustafson and Soogard...
Want a winger Formenton ,Batherson,Balcers,Abramov..Center,try Brown,Norris Pinto....Defense,Bransstrom Wolanin,JBD,Thompson...
Add in the players that are already on the team, and trading for more picks/prospects isnt really a need for this team...We need to actually try to put the team together with some NHL talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad