C Wyatt Johnston - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2021, 23rd, DAL)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
any new thoughts on this player? I know it's hard to have any insight for a player that hasn't seen much ice time.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
any new thoughts on this player? I know it's hard to have any insight for a player that hasn't seen much ice time.

I thought he looked great in his role at the U18s. Really feel with an OHL season he could have been one of the bigger risers.

Maybe not worth taking him with a 1st given the lack of viewing on him, but still think the talent he has shown should have him at least go in the 2nd round.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

JoshTessler

Jun 18, 2020
Just published this report on Johnston. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
With the OHL season never starting due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, Wyatt Johnston did not have much opportunity to showcase his skills in his draft season. While other top OHL-based prospects joined European teams on loans for the year, Johnston did not head overseas and did not get the opportunity to advance his career. Fortunately, he still made Team Canada for the IIHF Under-18 World Championships in Plano, Texas this spring. Johnston scored two goals and two assists in the seven-game tournament. He also helped Team Canada win the gold medal.

Drafted sixth overall by the Windsor Spitfires in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft, Johnston had a strong rookie season in 2019-20. He scored 12 goals and 30 points in 53 games. Johnston also played for Team Canada Red at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored two goals and five points in five tournament games.

Johnston came up in the Toronto Marlboros system. In 2018-19 he scored 48 goals and 46 assists for 94 points in 73 games in his last year of Midget-AAA hockey. Johnston’s older sister, Quinn Johnston, is playing university hockey in Kingston as part of the Queen’s Golden Gaels in USports.

2021 NHL Draft #54: Wyatt Johnston Scouting Report

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It's a risky pick because of how little he played last season. Great toolbox but still really an unknown. Some scouts that saw him really like him in the limited time they saw him.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
This is a really smart pick by Dallas. Guy screams leadership.
With Foudy staying in the AHL, Johnston will get a ton of ice up the middle for Windsor and should put up impressive offensive numbers.
Windsor should also be one of the top teams in the OHL next season and Johnston will be a big part of that.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Had a really strong game tonight. Goal and an assist (they keep saying he scored 2 goals but I swear the first one went off a teammate and in so I'll count it as an assist) and was an impact player nearly every shift. Scored a flukey goal from distance last night too but wasn't as noticeable. Got better linemates tonight tho

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Had a really strong game tonight. Goal and an assist (they keep saying he scored 2 goals but I swear the first one went off a teammate and in so I'll count it as an assist) and was an impact player nearly every shift. Scored a flukey goal from distance last night too but wasn't as noticeable. Got better linemates tonight tho

Not surprised at all, Dallas was very smart to “reach” to get their guy.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
The highlight package is nice to watch, he did have a really strong game, especially as an 18 year old up against much older competition. It's pretty rare for 18 year old players to show that much at Traverse in a single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad