C/W Lucas Elvenes (2017, 127th, VGK, claimed by ANA)

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Don't see this players name pop up very often, weird because I think he's the most promising 99-born Swedish forward out there and I wouldn't be surprised if he's the 2nd Swedish player picked in the 2017 draft. One of the youngest players in the draft as well.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=290074

In short: Unbelievable hands and playmaking ability, decent size and protects the puck very well. Can change the pace and doesn't shy away from contact. Lacks a bit explosiveness but is a pretty agile skater. Average defensively but he competes.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Read some article on him a way back, sounds like a guy to keep an eye on.

What are the chances he plays games for Rögles men's team this year? I've been planning on watching Rögle a couple of times this coming season just to see Liljegren, would be nice to hit to birds with one stone and get some viewings of Elvenes as well.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Read some article on him a way back, sounds like a guy to keep an eye on.

What are the chances he plays games for Rögles men's team this year? I've been planning on watching Rögle a couple of times this coming season just to see Liljegren, would be nice to hit to birds with one stone and get some viewings of Elvenes as well.

I think Elvenes will spend the entire season in the J20 league, with perhaps some call ups later in the season. They already have a lot of young players in their lineup.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
I think Elvenes will spend the entire season in the J20 league, with perhaps some call ups later in the season. They already have a lot of young players in their lineup.

Didnt he play at least one game for the senior team last season? Im almost positive he was called up but I might be confusing him with another Rögle forward.

Edit: was thinking about his brother.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Didnt he play at least one game for the senior team last season? Im almost positive he was called up but I might be confusing him with another Rögle forward.

Edit: was thinking about his brother.

Yeah, his 3 year older brother Ludvig has played some games in the SHL. They both played on the same line in the J20 playoffs.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014

If that is the case, then he will most likly not be the 2th highest drafted swede in the next year. At this point, even if he has potential of being it, he is pretty far from it.

He will start in superelit for sure, but maybe play himself into the team at the second half of the season or maybe they loan him out to some team in allsvenskan.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Will hopefully be able to see him and Liljegren playing next season, since I live pretty close to Ängelholm.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
If that is the case, then he will most likly not be the 2th highest drafted swede in the next year. At this point, even if he has potential of being it, he is pretty far from it.

He will start in superelit for sure, but maybe play himself into the team at the second half of the season or maybe they loan him out to some team in allsvenskan.

Doesn't really matter where he plays as long as he shows he's better than his peers at international tournaments. Anze Kopitar & Erik Karlsson played basically their entire draft seasons in J20 and got picked 11th and 15th respectively. Henrik Borgström was picked 23rd this draft, spent his entire season in the Finnish U20 league. What these players all have in common is very impressive showings outside of their club teams. In the end it's up to Rögle's management to decide where Elvenes plays and for scouts to figure out how good he is.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Doesn't really matter where he plays as long as he shows he's better than his peers at international tournaments. Anze Kopitar & Erik Karlsson played basically their entire draft seasons in J20 and got picked 11th and 15th respectively. Henrik Borgström was picked 23rd this draft, spent his entire season in the Finnish U20 league. What these players all have in common is very impressive showings outside of their club teams. In the end it's up to Rögle's management to decide where Elvenes plays and for scouts to figure out how good he is.

Sure they can, but I think picks like Henrik Borgström are just weird. What impressive showings do Henrik Borgström have outside the finnish U20 league? All he has played is 3 games at U19 level where he didnt score any points at all.

Elvenes has not been very dominating in superelit. I think it is a long shot that he shall make the WJC 20 team, off course he will probably make the WJC 18 team and can impresse there. But if WJC 18 meant that much, why didnt W Nylander become drafted higher?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Sure they can, but I think picks like Henrik Borgström are just weird. What impressive showings do Henrik Borgström have outside the finnish U20 league? All he has played is 3 games at U19 level where he didnt score any points at all.

Elvenes has not been very dominating in superelit. I think it is a long shot that he shall make the WJC 20 team, off course he will probably make the WJC 18 team and can impresse there. But if WJC 18 meant that much, why didnt W Nylander become drafted higher?

Nylander was by far the best Swedish player in that tournament and he was by far the highest picked Swedish player. Why wasn't he picked higher? Well, he probably should have been but not everyone likes the way he plays.

Dominating in J20 Superelit? I can't think of that many 16 year old players who dominated there. You need to remember that he's an entire year younger than Andersson, Boqvist & Davidsson and outscored all of their U17 seasons on a team that scored fewer goals.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
In short: Unbelievable hands and playmaking ability, decent size and protects the puck very well. Can change the pace and doesn't shy away from contact. Lacks a bit explosiveness but is a pretty agile skater. Average defensively but he competes.

Got a good look at him in Rögles last pre-season game against Malmö today. Your scouting report is spot on, although I would say that he has very good acceleration and he used that seperation speed to score one of his goals tonight. Overall he had two goals and an assist in an 8-2 win. Kid was the best player on the ice by a mile and was dangerous every shift. I'm a fan.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Nylander was by far the best Swedish player in that tournament and he was by far the highest picked Swedish player. Why wasn't he picked higher? Well, he probably should have been but not everyone likes the way he plays.

Dominating in J20 Superelit? I can't think of that many 16 year old players who dominated there. You need to remember that he's an entire year younger than Andersson, Boqvist & Davidsson and outscored all of their U17 seasons on a team that scored fewer goals.

If that means so much, why did Matthews become drafted as number 1, why are Patrick projected to become drafted as number 1. I agree that it should mean something, but how much is the question?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Got called up and made his SHL-debut against Malmö a couple of days ago. Apparently he only got 5 shifts and 3 minutes of game time though.

Might get more opportunities as Sylwander got suspended for 5 games.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Well, Elvenes has had an overall pretty strong season. Finished 3rd in scoring in all of SuperElit with 45 points in 41 games. Still unsure where he'll go in the draft, feels like he can go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd. Would really like to see him work on his shot over the summer. He'll be that more dangerous if he can improve that part of his game. Insane vision, creativity, playmaking and hands though. Very shifty player, very good at carrying the puck up the ice even if he can get a little too fancy at times. Reminds me a lot of Patrick Kane stylistically, just without the shot. IMO has top10 skill in this draft and it's encouraging that his defensive game has improved over the course of the season, even though it still is quite lacking.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
Well, Elvenes has had an overall pretty strong season. Finished 3rd in scoring in all of SuperElit with 45 points in 41 games. Still unsure where he'll go in the draft, feels like he can go anywhere from late 1st to late 2nd. Would really like to see him work on his shot over the summer. He'll be that more dangerous if he can improve that part of his game. Insane vision, creativity, playmaking and hands though. Very shifty player, very good at carrying the puck up the ice even if he can get a little too fancy at times. Reminds me a lot of Patrick Kane stylistically, just without the shot. IMO has top10 skill in this draft and it's encouraging that his defensive game has improved over the course of the season, even though it still is quite lacking.

Probably not in the 1st. I would take Boqvist, Petterson, Liljegren, Davidsson and Brännström ahead of him, and that's just the Swedes. I doubt we'll have 6 1st rounders this year.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
He definitely has some sweet hands and really nice vision on the ice. Not so sure about his hockey sense and I think he needs to improve his first few steps to be effective at higher levels.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

So little talk on this guy. Guess not many people have had a chance to watch him play, and he hasn't stood out that much in international tournaments. Still think he's one of the best playmakers in the entire draft. He's too much of a perimeter player though, not sure how he'll adapt to the smaller ice surface in the NHL. If he could add some strength, work on his shot and become a little more assertive in his game he could become really good, but he has his work cut out for him.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
A bit disappointed with him this season overall. His skill is obvious but he often ends up on the outside and he doesn't have the skating ability to play that way. Will probably be picked in the middle rounds.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
A bit disappointed with him this season overall. His skill is obvious but he often ends up on the outside and he doesn't have the skating ability to play that way. Will probably be picked in the middle rounds.

He has decent upside. Can make plays from in tight, quick hands, has good vision and doesn't make low-percentage plays once he's pushed below the circles. Very good two-way forward and penalty killer but never once pegged me as a kid with a first round resume or skill set. That being said, an already solid team looking for responsible players wouldn't be wrong in taking a 2nd round flyer on him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
He has decent upside. Can make plays from in tight, quick hands, has good vision and doesn't make low-percentage plays once he's pushed below the circles. Very good two-way forward and penalty killer but never once pegged me as a kid with a first round resume or skill set. That being said, an already solid team looking for responsible players wouldn't be wrong in taking a 2nd round flyer on him.

I don't know if he's a responsible player per se. His defensive game needs a lot of work still. The effort has gotten better though. The first couple of months of the season he was just floating high in the d zone, hoping to get sprung for a breakout. Now he actually puts in some work in his own zone and is more aggressive on the forecheck than before, but it's not like I would call him a 200ft player at this point in time. I doubt he'll ever be more than average defensively.

I actually disagree with your assessment here, I think he definitely has 1st round skill (his vision, creativity, playmaking and hands are A+, you need to watch him live to really appreciate just how good he is at these facets of the game), but it's the other components of his game that is lacking.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Good skills but still has a long ways to go to make the NHL. I've seen softer players in their draft year become solid, effective, fearless pro players though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad