C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'm starting to to jump on they hype/bandwagon... Unreal talent. I could see him going number 1.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I'd have him at 4. I like him more than MacKinnon, but I see him playing a finesse game a lot and that's usually the game players have the most difficulty translating into the NHL (not counting those who dominated by being bigger/stronger than their younger opponents).

TA1 Sports

@TA_Stephenson
Dec 3, 2011
Halifax NS
www.ta1sports.com
I'd have him at 4. I like him more than MacKinnon, but I see him playing a finesse game a lot and that's usually the game players have the most difficulty translating into the NHL (not counting those who dominated by being bigger/stronger than their younger opponents).

I don't get this logic at all. "Finesse" game, similar styles to like who... Giroux, Eberle, Datsuk or Crosby? Because that's the type of impact he has on games and those guys do alright.

While he's not a "big" player physically, he's by no means small either.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
People always seem to think just because a player, play a "finesse" game that it won't translate......Usually how you end up seeing steals. Drouin isn't that small, he will never be a force physically but I also don't see him ever getting pushed around. He is 17 years old 5"11 185, he could realistically still add 10-15 pounds to him and maybe another inche(maybe). Whatever team gets him is damn lucky, they are getting the most gifted player offensivley in this draft.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I don't get this logic at all. "Finesse" game, similar styles to like who... Giroux, Eberle, Datsuk or Crosby? Because that's the type of impact he has on games and those guys do alright.

While he's not a "big" player physically, he's by no means small either.

Haven't had time to watch a huge amount of games. But most of his plays are more difficult to pull off against pros, they're created by being much more skilled than his opposition, which is way tougher to do in the NHL than in a juniors league. I don't see him or anyone dangling around a whole team often at the pro level.

Most of the guys who are able to play an effective finesse game in the NHL are either superstars or atleast elite first liners, whereas those who don't are useless to below average for their position. Whereas the other prospects have a higher floor, and a similar ceiling.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Haven't had time to watch a huge amount of games. But most of his plays are more difficult to pull off against pros, they're created by being much more skilled than his opposition, which is way tougher to do in the NHL than in a juniors league. I don't see him or anyone dangling around a whole team often at the pro level.

Most of the guys who are able to play an effective finesse game in the NHL are either superstars or atleast elite first liners, whereas those who don't are useless to below average for their position. Whereas the other prospects have a higher floor, and a similar ceiling.
Most high skill players from juniors that don't pan out, fail because they were one dimensional. Drouin is the farthest thing from that.

VerySuperFamous

Feb 11, 2012
Kelowna, BC

Most high skill players from juniors that don't pan out, fail because they were one dimensional. Drouin is the farthest thing from that.

I see elusive speedster with elite hands and good at capitalizing on mistakes, above average possibly elite shot and playmaking from stats but haven't seen enough of him to tell. Fairly accurate?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I see elusive speedster with elite hands and good at capitalizing on mistakes, above average possibly elite shot and playmaking from stats but haven't seen enough of him to tell. Fairly accurate?
Ya, that is fairly accurate. I would say elite vision aswell. lol I may seem slightly fan boyish about him(I try not to) but I have seen so much of him and there really are very few negatives in his game.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Erik Johnson
Chris Phillips
Bryan Berard
Ed Jovanovski
Roman Hamrlik

These are the D-men to go #1 overall in a draft the past 20 years. They were once thought of as the "next great D-man" I like Jones, but history for D-men scare me.

Great logic.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
When is Nate expected to be back?

2points in the 1st period again? Love this guy!

Nathan should be back next week, because this Friday's game against SJ will be two weeks since he got injured in Moncton ... I'd keep him out for as long as I can, as the teams production has not tailed off, and we can clinch 1st in the league this weekend, meaning these games become less and less important... Not to sound cocky lol

aigledefeu

Oct 30, 2011
quebec
He actualy have a 21 Games point streak. Does anyone know how many games he didn't put a point? Ohh well, I will calculate

21 games streak with 46 pts
+
7 games streak 2012-10-02 to 2012-11-03 with 16 pts
6 games streak 2012-11-09 to 2012-11-23 with 16 pts
3 games streak 2012-09-21 to 2012-09-28 with 8 pts

Considering he have 40 Gp and 86 pts

If we combine his 4 streaks, we got 37GP and 86 pts

So he only had 3 game pointless. Very impressive

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
1g-3a-4 pts tonight.

He's now 4 pts shy from the lead with 18 games less than the leading scorer.

It will be interesting to see who wins MVP ... Right now for me it's Jaskin because I believe it should go by this definition ...most valuable to his team .. And that's Jaskin. We saw over Christmas the Moncton team was below .500 and the fans were asking for the team to sell... Then he comes back, they win 10 and he goes on a tear (+ Danault) ... Then they lose him again and they lose to Saint John of all teams ... He's Moncton's everything, and just as dominant as Drouin, which leads me to believe he will win the award.

But I believe Drouin is just as impressive. Maybe the best (after JT and Sid) 17yo season ever, and has stuck with the top players despite playing just 40 games.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
He actualy have a 21 Games point streak. Does anyone know how many games he didn't put a point? Ohh well, I will calculate

21 games streak with 46 pts
+
7 games streak 2012-10-02 to 2012-11-03 with 16 pts
6 games streak 2012-11-09 to 2012-11-23 with 16 pts
3 games streak 2012-09-21 to 2012-09-28 with 8 pts

Considering he have 40 Gp and 86 pts

If we combine his 4 streaks, we got 37GP and 86 pts

So he only had 3 game pointless. Very impressive

That's true, just 3 games is amazing. One of those games was our only shutout of the year against Moncton, so we know what happened there ... And his other two pointless games were where he scored in the shootout against CB and Rimouski lol... So he's found the net, or scoresheet when it matters in all but one game.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Another big night last night, 4 pts and a + 5. He's making a claim for the number 1 spot. He's in the conversation.

Ryan English

@ryanenglish_FC
Nov 14, 2010
Halifax, NS
I may be confused, but is that meaning that Drouin is carrying Nate more than the other way around? Obviously neither is actually doing so, but you get my point.

Bit more food for thought as to how they fare without one another.

Nate without Drouin
Games: 6
Goals: 8
Assists: 3
+/-: +6
PPG: 1.83

Drouin without Nate (so far)
Games: 5
Goals: 6
Assists: 8
+/-: +12
PPG: 2.8

I included this in my write-up as well. My conclusion with these numbers is that Drouin is better at creating offense without Nate than vice-versa.

Drouin also shoots at 24.8%, which is absolutely astronomical through 40 games. Without what I could call an elite shot (Mackinnon 15% and Mantha 17% are the only ones I can think of from the Q) that number shows the quality of his shots and his finishing ability.

The stats really do back Drouin offensively but anyone who has seen Mackinnon play knows he carries far more defensive value. It just makes things a little more interesting.

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
I included this in my write-up as well. My conclusion with these numbers is that Drouin is better at creating offense without Nate than vice-versa.

Drouin also shoots at 24.8%, which is absolutely astronomical through 40 games. Without what I could call an elite shot (Mackinnon 15% and Mantha 17% are the only ones I can think of from the Q) that number shows the quality of his shots and his finishing ability.

The stats really do back Drouin offensively but anyone who has seen Mackinnon play knows he carries far more defensive value. It just makes things a little more interesting.

24.8% is wow for sure. He does have amazing finish around the net because his hands are so quick. Most of his goals come in close either by breakaway or by going to the net, getting a feed and making a quick move. He doesn't take a lot of long range shots.

Drouin has also really stepped up his defensive game lately. It was really strong early in the season, kind of tailed off a bit after he had the shoulder injury. Since he's been back from WJ though he's been throwing his weight around more, particulary lately. It's good to see.

Mark Edwards

@MarkEdwardsHP
Feb 14, 2008
Toronto
www.HockeyProspect.com
I can't wait to see where Drouin ends up. One of our former scouts who is now with Val D'Or told me about Drouin years ago. I was actually looking back at old reports the other day.

On Feb 15th last year we had him as an honourable mention to our top 30. By mid May we moved him up ( for our 2012 Black Book) to number #20 overall.

In August 3 of our scouts including myself watched him at the Ivan Hkinka try outs and we moved him into the top 10 for our pre-season rankings. The kid really impressed me. I was absolutely shocked to see him absent in other early season ranking lists ( especially by the sites who were actually there). As it was, it became clear to me just one month into the season that "top 10" was not good enough. We quickly moved him into the top 5.

I mentioned to Sam Cosentino before the first Subway game that he reminded us of a cross between Patrick Kane and Giroux. He liked that comparison and mentioned it during the game. I'm not a fan of player comparisons but Drouin is a player who get you thinking about others.

NHL guys I have spoke to love him, the ones who have him trailing MacKinnon ( like us) value C more than wing (we do as well) We had him as high as number two last month.

I can tell you that since 2004 I have never had a tougher time ranking the top 7 players. It's the same players on most lists but the separation between some of them is so small it's crazy. I spoke to a Director of Scouting of an NHL team a few weeks ago and his exact words to me were " I don't know where to rank these guys." We had a good long chat about this year vs last.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You think how well he has been playing....and then think that Gretzky did the same thing to his competition in the NHL...scary!

As a Mooseheads fan, it sure is fun right now. Yet in a selfish way, wish both would be back next year. Imagine the domination as 18 year olds!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad