C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jalperi

Feb 17, 2016
Jesperi Kotkaniemi´s stats from season
National Team U18 10games 4+5=9
Ässät U20 7games 4+1=5 +7
Ässät U20 playoffs 17games 9+6=15 +15

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Really like this kid. He got the absolute minimum amount of time on the ice again, yet scored a goal and assisted another. One of the younger players in the team but that shouldn't be a factor as long as you bring in the results. Didn't think I saw him on either PP which was odd. Going to keep a close eye on him for sure.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Really like this kid. He got the absolute minimum amount of time on the ice again, yet scored a goal and assisted another. One of the younger players in the team but that shouldn't be a factor as long as you bring in the results. Didn't think I saw him on either PP which was odd. Going to keep a close eye on him for sure.

I think the 2nd PP unit was Teräväinen-Kupari-Ylönen-Koskenkorva-Kotkaniemi. But yeah weird that line got so little ice time on 5vs5.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Is he the youngest player in the u18's? Pretty impressive he even made it to the Finland's roster, not having a bad tournament so far either. Could be a big time riser next season, so far injuries have hindered his development.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Is he the youngest player in the u18's? Pretty impressive he even made it to the Finland's roster, not having a bad tournament so far either. Could be a big time riser next season, so far injuries have hindered his development.

Among the youngest players yes, there are 27 other players and 3 goalies who are born in 2000 in this tournament. Keijo Weibel is youngest one with November birthday.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/leagu...mname=&nation=&nationname=&age=u17&prospects=

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Brilliant performance today. Seems very mature for his age, very solid overall and makes right decisions on the ice constantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in a first round in the next year's draft.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Brilliant performance today. Seems very mature for his age, very solid overall and makes right decisions on the ice constantly. I wouldn't be surprised to see him picked in a first round in the next year's draft.

Wouldn't call today's game brilliant but I definitely see him up there with Kupari and Ylonen.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Wouldn't call today's game brilliant but I definitely see him up there with Kupari and Ylonen.
I thought he played excellent. His backchecking ability is really good and prevented a couple of chances from Russians by it. Poised on the puck. I see him as a superior prospect compared to the aforementioned players.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

If you take a look at our preview and where he's ranked pre-u18s, you'll see that he can hardly rise much for us. Hopefully he'll manage to stay healthy in his draft season.

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
He seems pretty promising. What do people think his pathway will be next year? Given his excellent play in this tournament, I wonder if he'll be too good for the Finnish U20 league next year but maybe not good enough for the Liiga. Any chance he comes to North America or maybe goes to Sweden for the SuperElit? I understand his dad is the assistant coach of Assat's Liiga team, but could he even get limited minutes with them next season?

YARR123

Oct 30, 2010
He seems pretty promising. What do people think his pathway will be next year? Given his excellent play in this tournament, I wonder if he'll be too good for the Finnish U20 league next year but maybe not good enough for the Liiga. Any chance he comes to North America or maybe goes to Sweden for the SuperElit? I understand his dad is the assistant coach of Assat's Liiga team, but could he even get limited minutes with them next season?

Right now Ässät seems to only have a handful of forwards in their roster that are considered good liege players. So it doesn't seem like a very deep team for next year. I don't see why not, especially as the kid has a good frame and seems like a fine skater.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
I think he would have played few games in Liiga already this season without the injury that took half season from him. Ässät had pretty many injuries at one point and quite many juniors got the first Liiga game under their belt.

Ässät will try to have larger reserve next season but currently there are only 12 forwards, couple of juniors with try-out contracts and which most likely won't get the contract and then I think there have been talks about three more additions. This situation wouldn't be too bad for Kotkaniemi, especially considering that many of the players haven't shown that much offense at Liiga level. Offensively Kotkaniemi has much more talent than many other players at the roster and his defensive play seems to be mature already.

And if Kotkaniemi is first round quality, he will force himself to the lineup anyway. That kind of a talent is too much for Liiga teams to be ignored.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Jesperi left pretty positive impression from the U18 tournament, despite being underage. Really crafty in the offensive zone, good size and nice skating. Didn't really get all too much ice time on 5vs5 which was a bit disappointing. Looks like a first round caliber forward right now. One of the few Finns who are draft eligible next year that are worth keeping an eye on.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
That is a good choice for Kotkaniemi. Team doesn't have that much depth and even though team has a lot of hard working players who are capable of playing in Liiga, offensive talent is limited. This means that Kotkaniemi should get a real chance against men already next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad