C/W Janne Kuokkanen (2016, 43rd, CAR; traded to NJD)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I think the biggest issue for Kuokkanen is that he plays a similar style as guys like Teravainen and Svechnikov. (offensive forward who isn't overly physical) So for the Hurricaines he brings more of the same and i think that will be a road block for him making it in the NHL in Carolina.

If he was ever traded to a team in need of a solid offensive winger he would flourish imo. He would be nice complementary piece for a team like Pittsburgh, Islanders, ect.

Or Toronto.... :)

Reactions: Tryamkin

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I think the biggest issue for Kuokkanen is that he plays a similar style as guys like Teravainen and Svechnikov. (offensive forward who isn't overly physical)

He is similar to Teravainen.
So far Svechnikov has been quite physical. He likes to drive straight to the net and also likes to battle for pucks behind the net.
Kuokkanen would actually be a good linemate for Svechnikov. At some point I could see Kuokkanen/Necas/Svechnikov. That would provide playmaking/speed/power.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I think the biggest issue for Kuokkanen is that he plays a similar style as guys like Teravainen and Svechnikov. (offensive forward who isn't overly physical) So for the Hurricaines he brings more of the same and i think that will be a road block for him making it in the NHL in Carolina.

If he was ever traded to a team in need of a solid offensive winger he would flourish imo. He would be nice complementary piece for a team like Pittsburgh, Islanders, ect.

There is nothing similar about Teravainen and Svechnikov. Teravainen is a complimentary perimeter skill player. Svechnikov is an inside-the-slot physical power forward.

Kuokkanen’s value to the Canes would be as a Center. From what I’ve seen he plays a bit like a softer Aho.

Reactions: SvechNecas

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Kuokkanen’s value to the Canes would be as a Center. From what I’ve seen he plays a bit like a softer Aho.
I think if the organization saw Kuokkanen's future at center, then he would be playing center in Charlotte.

Looking at the current roster and top forward prospects there are significantly fewer LWs than RWs--especially with Necas playing RW in the most recent Charlotte game. At some point the team needs a LW to play on one of the top scoring lines. For the time being that appears to be Kuokkanen.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
There is nothing similar about Teravainen and Svechnikov. Teravainen is a complimentary perimeter skill player. Svechnikov is an inside-the-slot physical power forward.

I agree with hitchhiker that he's much more likely to find use as LW, looking at the organizations depth chart

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Based on the disastrous WJC he played a year ago I certainly held no expectations of this kid moving far forward. Felt like watching some 80/90s team Finland who's key players could not score goals to save their lifes. Guess the sad part is that the kids who don't have that instinct early on, it'll never appear. Shooting can be taught but only to certain extent. I doubt Kuokkanen will become anything but bottom six player at best (wouldn't mind to be wrong). I certainly hope The Canes don't try some Finnish trio just for the sakes of it.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Based on the disastrous WJC he played a year ago I certainly held no expectations of this kid moving far forward. Felt like watching some 80/90s team Finland who's key players could not score goals to save their lifes. Guess the sad part is that the kids who don't have that instinct early on, it'll never appear. Shooting can be taught but only to certain extent. I doubt Kuokkanen will become anything but bottom six player at best (wouldn't mind to be wrong). I certainly hope The Canes don't try some Finnish trio just for the sakes of it.
Kid plays in the nhl. Has no killer instinct. How’d he get to the nhl lmao?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

Did you watch the last WJC at all? Despite of being given every chance in the world there he couldn't even produce against his peers (or players younger than him). Playing 3 games in the NHL (with 0 points) doesn't exactly display a killer instinct. There are tons of players out there with few NHL games who've then left the entire league to play elsewhere. Sorry but I don't evaluate prospects or players through blue-white glasses even if I rooted for them.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Did you watch the last WJC at all? Despite of being given every chance in the world there he couldn't even produce against his peers (or players younger than him). Playing 3 games in the NHL (with 0 points) doesn't exactly display a killer instinct. There are tons of players out there with few NHL games who've then left the entire league to play elsewhere. Sorry but I don't evaluate prospects or players through blue-white glasses even if I rooted for them.

There’s also plenty of players out there that did nothing in the WJC and then go on to become fantastic NHLers. You don’t need to produce at the World Juniors to be a good NHL player, it’s a 5 game meaningless tournament that in the end has absolutely no bearing on how a player/prospect is going to pan out.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
I kinda agree with @kelsier that Kuokkanen really doesnt have that huge killer instict.

However I do think he has a solid future in the NHL, his playstyle is very similar to Teräväinen. Both of them have good two-way game, but neither is aggressive and sometimes almost look like they are afraid of battling physically or going deep

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
There’s also plenty of players out there that did nothing in the WJC and then go on to become fantastic NHLers. You don’t need to produce at the World Juniors to be a good NHL player, it’s a 5 game meaningless tournament that in the end has absolutely no bearing on how a player/prospect is going to pan out.

Yeah there are, but most of them were 17 or 18 year old kids. Kuokkanen was 19 at the time and he struggled horribly while expected to be our leading center in that tournament. Needless to say how everything ended for the young Lions. For instance Barkov didn't get much done at WJC on his draft year despite of being in a pretty good position to succeed but went 2nd overall regardless and is now one of the best centers in the game. I have nothing against Kuokkanen other than low expectations. I'd be more than happy if he proved me wrong like I said.

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Huh?

The WJC a year ago has more weigh on your opinion than PPG play in the AHL and really good showings in a couple on NHL games...

Jeeeeeezzz just stop.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
One of the highlights of the Carolina organization is the development in Charlotte. Coach Vellucci is excellent. I have seen Kuokkanen a few times the past two seasons, I specifically mentioned how his offensive aggressiveness has improved. The play of Julien Gauthier is an another example. There hasn't been much proof that it will translate to the NHL, but Vellucci develops players so that they improve on their weaknesses as opposed to just honing their strengths.

Reactions: SvechNecas

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Huh?

The WJC a year ago has more weigh on your opinion than PPG play in the AHL and really good showings in a couple on NHL games...

Jeeeeeezzz just stop.

The AHL results are promising and if you feel highly of him that's fine. That's your business. If people didn't have contradicting viewpoints or/and opinions, what the heck would we be doing here in the first place.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Barkov did pretty bad in his world juniors too. Now he terrorizes goalies. It’s a pretty lame jab you’re taking.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Barkov did pretty bad in his world juniors too. Now he terrorizes goalies. It’s a pretty lame jab you’re taking.

"Lame"? I was stating facts about someone's performance, not jabbing people. You don't understand the difference while playing WJC at age 17 as compared to being 19? Alright, I give up. If someone has an urge to prop every single Finnish prospect just because they're Finnish, that's fine. I just choose not to look at every prospect through blue-white glasses.

FinlandPanther

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
"Lame"? I was stating facts about someone's performance, not jabbing people. You don't understand the difference while playing WJC at age 17 as compared to being 19? Alright, I give up. If someone has an urge to prop every single Finnish prospect just because they're Finnish, that's fine. I just choose not to look at every prospect through blue-white glasses.
You crap on everyone save the victim complex. You also said the same about Barkov after his first two years. Same with Laine. Same with Rantanen. Yawn.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
You crap on everyone save the victim complex. You also said the same about Barkov after his first two years. Same with Laine. Same with Rantanen. Yawn.

What the he*l are you talking about? I haven't said a bad word about Barkov, Rantanen nor Laine as far as I can remember. They've all turned out better than I expected and couldn't be more pleased. You seriously are gunning at the wrong guy and better get your facts straight before coming up with this crap again.

Visul

Dec 22, 2015
Kuokkanen sucked last year in WJC but overall he wasn't on his regular level at that time. He had really bad slump also in the AHL during December and January. If I recall correctly he scored like 3 points in December and 2 points in January for Checkers but his production exploded again in February. I don't know what was going on with him at the time but I really don't think we saw the best of Kuokkanen in WJC2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->