C/W Janne Kuokkanen (2016, 43rd, CAR; traded to NJD)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Prospect Details
Name Janne Kuokkanen
Born May 25 1998 Oulunsalo Finland
Position C/LW.
Shoots Left
Height 185cm ( 6'1)
Weight 85kg ( 187lbs)

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=209426

https://prospectshockey.wordpress.com scouting report
Janne Kuokkanen is a versatile, puck possession forward with strong two-way capabilities.
A strong skater with above average speed, Janne Kuokkanen possesses an explosive first step, along with sound overall mobility.

A poised forward who protects the puck well, Kuokkanen is at his best in possession.
As he plays with excellent pace and displays impressive vision and high end playmaking skills.

A player who can raise the level of those around him.
Kuokkanen is a strong competitor who takes direct routes to pucks and shows and aggressiveness on the forecheck that allows him to create turnovers.

An intelligent forward with the versatility to play centre or wing.
Kuokkanen also shows versatility offensively as he can hurt you as a playmaker or as a goal scorer
And is quietly developing a strong board and cycle game.

A player who anticipates the play well, Kuokkanen shows a nose for the net and strong positional awareness in the offensive zone.
Engaged defensively, Kuokkanen keeps his feet moving and shows strong awareness in the defensive zone.
As his active stick and body allows him to clog shooting/passing lanes and force turnovers.

With room to grow on the offensive side of the puck despite an already impressive skill set.
Kuokkanen can take his game to the next level if he improves his shot, strength and adds a little more of a physical element to his game.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Played a season of U20 league with over PPG (is 17 years),

Was lately sent to Mens second league (mestis) farm team, had 1 game there, 1+1

-> Was elevated again to Kärpät roster, scored 2+0 in first Liiga game tonight.

He really used his chances :handclap: Some one said on Finland board that he looked solid outside the goals, too.

Last edited:

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Any idea if he intends on playing in North America next season? Scandinavian players have a pretty good system going but I'm sure he'd draw some very strong interest at the CHL Import Draft.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Any idea if he intends on playing in North America next season? Scandinavian players have a pretty good system going but I'm sure he'd draw some very strong interest at the CHL Import Draft.

That depends a lot how well Kuokkanen plays for U18 WJC's.
Kuokkanen will be Finland's roster in U18's if he stays healthy.

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
That depends a lot how well Kuokkanen plays for U18 WJC's.
Kuokkanen will be Finland's roster in U18's if he stays healthy.

Sure, but it's a safe bet he'll be drafted, right? I wonder what his potential NHL team would say about the idea. I think his style is a good fit for North American juniors.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
got my eye on this kid. wouldnt be a surprise to see him taken 2nd round and i want him on the jets.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Sure, but it's a safe bet he'll be drafted, right? I wonder what his potential NHL team would say about the idea. I think his style is a good fit for North American juniors.

He has been touted to be the best player in the junior Kärpät system. It's weird. I was hearing that Kalapudas would become something similar to Puljujärvi in one point (Kalapudas evolving into an elite prospect) but that was hearsay in the end (at least i think it is now) This is the same im hearing about Kuokkanen now. He's the best in Junior Kärpät, but he never hasn't shown that last bit of brilliance (of course now with 2 goals) but there might be something in him.

Of course I'm thinking he's going 2nd round or later but he has something in him, just like Aho now does (Finnish Sebastian Aho, ppg, best player on kärpät 18 year old 2nd rounder)
He plays in the junior system now, but with these performances, with some injuries he will definitely be playing in the playoffs for sure.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Next year will be interesting for him. Hoping to see him play for Kärpät as a regular. I don't like the idea of playing in NA juniors next year too. Of course if can't play in Liiga, I can see him coming to the NA. Also depends who will draft him.

I think he is bigger than 5'11..

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

Kuokkanen will be drafted this June somewhere rounds 2-6.
Of course some CHL team can draft him into CHL import draft.

But that's different case does he even play in CHL.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
He might be average skater but he does have good hands and above average shot. He is not midget either but of course there's still lot frame to fill up.

To me he looks like second or third rounder.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I believe he might be the first U18 player in the history of Liiga to score at 2 PPG pace during the regular season. Matthews has nothing on him! :sarcasm:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I doubt he goes before third round. When was the last time a Finnish guy who played the whole season in juniors was picked in the first two rounds? I'm guessing not recently.

Slapper

Oct 26, 2015
I doubt he goes before third round. When was the last time a Finnish guy who played the whole season in juniors was picked in the first two rounds? I'm guessing not recently.

Markus Granlund 2011 45th overall. Played 2 games in mens league
Alexander Ruuttu 2011 51st overall. 3 games in mens league. Daddy helped him getting drafted that high though.

Didn't bother looking further away. Not saying it's likely for Kuokkanen to be drafted top60 but I wouldnt be shocked if he was.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Markus Granlund 2011 45th overall. Played 2 games in mens league
Alexander Ruuttu 2011 51st overall. 3 games in mens league. Daddy helped him getting drafted that high though.

Didn't bother looking further away. Not saying it's likely for Kuokkanen to be drafted top60 but I wouldnt be shocked if he was.

Thanks for checking it out! Their relatively high draft positions might have something to do with pedigree though as both come from notable hockey families.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad