C/W Dmitriy Voronkov (2019, 114th, CBJ)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What's his average ice time looking like?

It seems like he's playing a large role on one of the best teams in the KHL since returning from the WJC.
We have already won the conference. The last regular season games a lot of vets will get some rest and guys like Voronkov will get plenty of ice time. He still got under 15 minutes tonight. But it's also 10:23 TOI over 31GP. It's not like he was getting just a couple of minutes before.

He is definitely not playing a large role. That would be an exaggeration.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Puts him right on par with Denisenko in terms of production(in 5 less games played). Denisenko was put pretty high on some top prospects outside the NHL list.

And it's not about Voronkov being so great, it's about Denisenko being overrated by quite a bit.

so... are there any young guys in the KHL that ARE going to be in the NHL and are good?

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
so... are there any young guys in the KHL that ARE going to be in the NHL and are good?
Actually there are not many. Most of considered to be good prospects struggle and play very limited time for some reasons.
Now Voronkov looks ok, but very important reason of this is hockey that coach of Ak Bars uses.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The thing is I have my doubts about Denisenko, like a lot of other people.

If Voronkov continues to work hard nothing is out of the question, but obviously in his case it would be much less of a disappointment if he does not become a NHLer simply because of where he was drafted.

There are young players who will be good enough, but not all of them.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Actually there are not many. Most of considered to be good prospects struggle and play very limited time for some reasons.
Now Voronkov looks ok, but very important reason of this is hockey that coach of Ak Bars uses.
There can't be many of them unless you consider 25 year olds young prospects.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Even from U24 players only Kaprizov is the leader of his team.
You have a wrong approch. It's obvious that if a U24 player can be that he'd be in the NHL at that point 9 out of 10. In case of the KHL those players have to either teenagers with a lot of upside(as there are quite enough now) or second row late bloomers prospects who develop well and grow in the KHL(as happenned with Panarin, Gusev, Gavrikov atc.).

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
@Atas2000 what is his contract status with Ak Bars. Wondering what his motivation is to play in the NHL in the future and what possible timeframe that might look like if playing in the NHL is what he wants to do.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
@Atas2000 what is his contract status with Ak Bars. Wondering what his motivation is to play in the NHL in the future and what possible timeframe that might look like if playing in the NHL is what he wants to do.

He's signed another year. Wouldn't be surprised if he signs for one more year on top of that.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He is signed through next season. That means 30th April 2021 is the cut off date. If his positive performance continues the team will be eager to get him under another contract. Size helps him a lot in terms of making an early impact. He has at 19 a fully adequate frame of a modern day hockey player. If his development goes linear or exponential in the right direction he might even be ready to go to NA after next season. Whether it's a good thing for his skill set is a different discussion. I always plead for the guys to finish their development in Russia to become a well rounded player before they go through the major change that is the change of continents, countries and leagues. But it is really up to his next season performance. For now he has the playoffs ahead to show he can perform on the next level. He never was at that stage too, so I would not put pressure on him yet. If he does not score goals in bunches in the playoffs it's no reason for despair.

FWIW I think he is pretty much a Tortorella type of player. If they indeed meet in the CBJ locker room he should be one of those plyers blessed by the draft.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I feel good about the future of Russians in Ohio

just have to make sure they get there since it’s unheard of to hear of people wanting to move to Ohio, everyone moves away - in real life and the NHL lol

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He's still young, he signs now he's likely playing bottom 6 minutes in the AHL, this is better for him imo.

He wouldn't be coming to the NHL now, the idea was that it could be next summer. And he looks like he'd thrive in NA hockey, he seems like he might be able to jump straight into the NHL in a year. Tough to wait three years.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He wouldn't be coming to the NHL now, the idea was that it could be next summer. And he looks like he'd thrive in NA hockey, he seems like he might be able to jump straight into the NHL in a year. Tough to wait three years.

True, at least few years in the KHL he can develop his offensive skills . Best case is he can become a good middle 6 player, someone who can fill in the top 6 when needed after his contract expires and he comes over.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
True, at least few years in the KHL he can develop his offensive skills . Best case is he can become a good middle 6 player, someone who can fill in the top 6 when needed after his contract expires and he comes over.

Middle-six certainly, but I see his best offensive skills as in the blue paint. He's like an Andreychuk type. I don't think big ice is an advantage for him.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Stud. I'm going to keep pumping this kids tires until he gets some respect.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Stud. I'm going to keep pumping this kids tires until he gets some respect.
If he had the hands he would be a superstar. That was his second big steal in the game. He could not capitalize on the first one. He has grown into his body. He is big, fast for his size and has some vision.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Back from the game. Voronkov is already an important asset. His physicality and backchecking stand out(He is crushing people in all zones). And the points he gets he deserves. Great assist today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->