C Victor Stjernborg - Växjö Lakers, J20 Nationell (2021, 108th, CHI)

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
elite prospects says his name is pronounced kran-bor. is that right? reminds me of stanislav nets-cash, where it was way off from the look.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That is very peculiar.

Can anyone give us a Swedish grammar lesson on why his name looks like it’d be pronounced to a native English speaker so much differently than it’s pronounced to a native Swedish speaker? Usually the discrepancies are very small.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
That is very peculiar.

Can anyone give us a Swedish grammar lesson on why his name looks like it’d be pronounced to a native English speaker so much differently than it’s pronounced to a native Swedish speaker? Usually the discrepancies are very small.

His name is made of two parts Stjern - borg = Star Fort/Fortress. Stjerna is an old spelling of the word stjärna (star). The Swedish language has different s/sh sounds, some that are not usually found in English. In this case the Stj sound is close to the English Sh in shoot. The g in borg is a j sound (like Y/es, not J/ane) *bor-j* and not a hard g like the *Borg* in Star Trek. Same with the word varg - var-j (wolf)

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
That is very peculiar.

Here's a short grammar lesson for you.

The first part of his name, Stjärna (Stjern), is pronounced /ˈɧæːɳa/. The [ɧ] phoneme is unique for the Swedish language. It's a voiceless postalveolar fricative, read more on https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiceless_postalveolar_fricative.

Sheep and ship are similar words in English, but the pronunciation is a bit different.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thank you to both of you! Hopefully he makes the NHL. How many announcers won’t pronounce his name correctly? I’d guess a lot.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
sounds like she is saying victor cranberry with a heavy accent....interesting. I have this guy pegged to the Wings in the 2nd or 3rd round, at least that's what I hope when I do the draft sim.

KOS21

Feb 23, 2022
so, he is known as more of a defensive C...why isnt more being said about what he is doing in the Allvenskan his last 7 games?.. i know its not the SHL, but still an 18 yo "defensive C" putting up pretty good numbers. im wondering if anybody can give me a scouting report on him,

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
86FC9CA7-19C0-4033-AD35-BC8785ABA1D2.jpeg

Signs 2 year extension with vaxjo. Signed through 24-25 now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad