C Tyler Seguin (2010, 2nd overall, Boston; traded to Dallas)

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
I would love Kabby too (more than Seguin) but we both know that PL, er... Sherman won't take a Russian, regardless of how awesomely talented they are :(

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I would love Kabby too (more than Seguin) but we both know that PL, er... Sherman won't take a Russian, regardless of how awesomely talented they are :(

I agree haha. However I like the direction they're taking... and in 2010 if the Avalanche are picking and Hall, Fowler and Seguin are gone... I think Super Sacco will come in and say hey... get me Kabanov.

And on top of that they'll be drafting Kabanov from the CHL.

But after Mikhail "Fail" Kuleshov... Our infamous 1999 bust... I could see Avs n Co. shying away from European players...

Avalanche first pick in each draft...

1995: 25th Overall Marc Denis, G, Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL]
1996: 25th Overall Peter Ratchuck, D, Shattuck St. Mary's [Minn.]
1997: 26th Overall Peter Grimes, D, Kingston Frontenacs [OHL]
1998: 12th Overall Alex Tanguay, LW, Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL]
1999: 25th Overall Mikhail Kuleshov, LW, Cherepovets Severstal [Russia]
2000: 14th Overall Vaclav Nedorost, C, Ceske Budejovice HC [Czech]
2001: 63rd Overall Peter Budaj, G, Toronto St. Michael's Majors [OHL]
2002: 28th Overall Jonas Johansson, RW, HV71 Jonkoping [SEL]
2003: 63rd Overall Dave Lifton, D, Plymouth Whalers [OHL]
2004: 21st Overall Wojtek Wolski, LW, Brampton Battalion [OHL]
2005: 34th Overall Ryan Stoa, C, U.S. Junior National Team [Intl]
2006: 18th Overall Chris Stewart, RW, Kingston Frontenacs [OHL]
2007: 14th Overall Kevin Shattenkirk, D, U.S. Junior National Team [Intl]
2008: 50th Overall Cameron Gaunce, D, Mississauga St. Michael's Majors [OHL]
2009: 3rd Overall Matt Duchene, C, Brampton Battalion [OHL]

In those 15 drafts Avalanche have taken a European player with their first pick only 4 times, and of those 4, 1 came from the CHL.

Odds are against he Avalanche on this one :shakehead

On top of that I can see the Avalanche have drafted HORRIBLY with their first pick in the draft...

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
Last year on a line with Terry and Caria Seguin played the wing, and he looked comfortable doing it but this year Seguin has been playing center and he has really turned up his game.

Being a huge avs fan and living around the Whalers has made me think of the possible Duchene/Seguin combo and it would be nasty.

Seguin is very underrated and he will keep rising his draft status, I really like the way his game will translate in the NHL more than Taylor Hall but the top 5 looks really promising and I hope the Avs dedicate one more year to rebuilding, they could have an amazing crop of young guns and could really become a force to reckon with :)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

If Seguin plays wing, that would be awesome. He's right handed and he's really talented.

Highway to Hall meets Falling for Fowler meets Krashing for Kabanov meets Slipping for Seguin?

wingsfan17

Jan 20, 2008
3 goals and 2 assists tonight for Seguin. He now has 14 goals, 11 assists, in 3 hat tricks in 10 games. Taylor Hall is tied for 2nd in points with 17 in 9 games.

seadawg

Sep 22, 2008
3 goals and 2 assists tonight for Seguin. He now has 14 goals, 11 assists, in 3 hat tricks in 10 games. Taylor Hall is tied for 2nd in points with 17 in 9 games.

wow...just wow

Seguin just seems to be gaining more momentum as the season carries on. I know there is a lot of hockey left to play, but holy crap this guy is really impressive. When the rumblings first started about him possibly challenging Hall for first overall, I didn't give it much credit. But now with him continuing to put up sick numbers, I am seriously starting to think there is a good chance he might actually do it.

And I want to throw a shout out to Burmistrov who now has 6 points (4 goals, 2 assists) in his last two games to sit tied with Hall for second overall in scoring in the OHL.

And with Kabanov getting a goal in his first game in the Q, I'm getting really pumped for the 2010 draft! :)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Holy Jesus... Seguin has maintained a 2.5 point per game average the entire season..

Seguin is a phenominal player... I'm sorry Taylor Hall but I'm giving the edge to Seguin.

slash89

Jul 4, 2007
Just got back from the Whalers game. Seguin plays center primarily. I left just before the game ended (like three minutes left...it was 8-2 Whalers) and he had 3 goals and 2 assists at the time. They ended up winning 10-2 so he may have gotten more. He is a monster. He had a two on one an completely faked pass followed by him roofing it top right. My friend works at Compuware and gets me free tickets all the time, I look forward to watching this beast all year!

If Seguin plays wing, that would be awesome. He's right handed and he's really talented.

Highway to Hall meets Falling for Fowler meets Krashing for Kabanov meets Slipping for Seguin?

Hah, this was the game I saw/was referring to in my original post. He's 2/2 in getting hat tricks so far when I go.

drewid80

Sep 30, 2008
Seguin's production is staggering considering that he is not surrounded by anywhere near the type of talent that Hall is. The next highest pt producer on the Whalers is AJ Jenks with 11. The Spitfires have 5 players with 12 pts or more and that doesn't even include Ryan Ellis (who has 10 in 7 games)

It's going to be a great battle all season long. Will be interesting to see how Hall responds to the challenge from Seguin and from Kabanov now that he is playing in the CHL. I have seen both Hall and Seguin multiple times. While Hall's amazing speed is his greatest weapon, my gut feeling is that Seguin is a more complete player and more adept at both speeding the play up and slowing it down. With Hall I always get the feeling like he's bordering on being a bit out of control while Seguin looks more under control.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I officially think Seguin is the top prospect in the 2010 draft currently.

It's a huge race...

Seguin is tearin up the OHL with 25 points in 9 games.

Hall has dominated the spotlight for so long and has a Memorial Cup under his belt already.

Fowler is a great defender with good hands and definately helps on offense.

Granlund is playing professional mens hockey and has 10 points in 10 games

Burmistrov has 17 points in 9 games on a semi-weak Colts team

McFarland is off to a good start too.

Kabanov had his first goal tonight...

What a great draft year.

ugotmybeef*

It's a huge race...

Hall has dominated the spotlight for so long and has a Memorial Cup under his belt already.

What a great draft year.

felt this draft had elite level skill in the top 8 for some time now. I was more focused on what Kabanov would do, but Seguin's been amazing. I still like halls game breaking speed.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Looks like OHL is taking a page from the NHL... Seguin's next game is... Friday.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I doubt that, unless Detroit sucks this season:D

Haha yeah, there's no way in hell Detroit is getting Seguin.

I think he's all center... And he wears #9 also :(

He's 6'1 186lbs... If he's like Duchene in body composition that means he's still too skinny up top.

I'd love to have Kabanov on Duchene's wing.. SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY FINISH DUCHENE'S PLAYS. ugh.

Yeah I think Seguin is better as a center. Even though he is an excellent goal scorer, he's also marvelous at controlling the play and is a wonderful passer.

It's a huge race...

What a great draft year.

Barrie is not a semi-weak team. They are a very good team with great depth. Even without Burmistrov, they'd still be good.

SumOil

Aug 21, 2008
edmonton
Any one who says Seguin> Hall is clearly short sighted. It has been just 9 games!!!! grow up people....right now Mike Richards has more goals than ovechkin...more points than malkin. Does that make him better than those 2.....ease out

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Any one who says Seguin> Hall is clearly short sighted. It has been just 9 games!!!! grow up people....right now Mike Richards has more goals than ovechkin...more points than malkin. Does that make him better than those 2.....ease out

Except Halls been very inconsistent. One game he gets 5 points, the next 2 games he gets nothing. Seguins has had 1 game with no points, and a 1st hand witness (see Kadri vs Seguin:Friday Night) says that Seguin played amazing and that his teammates couldnt keep up

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Seguin already with a goal in the first period vs Ottawa.

Plymouth has 17 SOG's already

LTL

Dec 1, 2006
D.T
nhlyoungguns.com
Coaching change helped bring out the best in Seguin

Anytime a hockey team changes coaches, it can create a difficult situation that can affect every member of the roster. A new coach means new ideas, new plans and even new line combinations. It can make for a stressful time.

For some, though, that stress can end up being a good thing. It certainly was for Tyler Seguin.

Seguin, a forward with the Ontario Hockey League's Plymouth Whalers, was the biggest beneficiary of his team changing coaches last season, and his outstanding play as an OHL rookie has carried over to an explosive start to the 2009-10 campaign.

Through his first 10 games, Seguin has league-highs of 14 goals and 25 points, opening the eyes of scouts rating talent for the 2010 Entry Draft.

"That's pretty unbelievable," NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards told NHL.com. "I can't think of anybody that's had that kind of production. (John) Tavares, (Eric) Lindros, they may have."

After a slow start to the 2008-09 season, Seguin said he was determined to have a stronger start this season.

"It was one of my big goals," he told NHL.com. "Last year I didn't have the best of starts, didn't score until a good 10, 12 games into the season."

NHL.com - Full article

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
No problem is he in the lineup for sure tonite? and will Ellis be in the lineup I don't think i heard what is goin on with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad