C Ty Dellandrea - Flint Firebirds, OHL (2018, 13th, DAL)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His compete level couple with his skill/IQ pops out to me personally.

To me he looks like the stereotypical average-at-everything junior 'hands' guy who plateaus as a scoring-line AHLer.

Ahhh I see, missed the A there.

Do you think he won't make the NHL then?

Well, only like 30% of guys taken between picks 25 and 40 stick in the NHL so I think everyone in this range probably won't make it, but I'd have his chances lower than most. Skating and footspeed is a major issue.

Of course he *could* make it - a guy like Brad Boyes had a nice career with a similar skillset - and I'd have interest in the 3rd-4th round but he isn't a guy I'd be touching with a #1 pick.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
To me he looks like the stereotypical average-at-everything junior 'hands' guy who plateaus as a scoring-line AHLer.

Well, only like 30% of guys taken between picks 25 and 40 stick in the NHL so I think everyone in this range probably won't make it, but I'd have his chances lower than most. Skating and footspeed is a major issue.

Of course he *could* make it - a guy like Brad Boyes had a nice career with a similar skillset - and I'd have interest in the 3rd-4th round but he isn't a guy I'd be touching with a #1 pick.

How many games of him have you seen him play to make a statement like that? He was one of the most notable players on both sides of the ice for team Canada at the WJC18 tournament from my viewing. Competed hard, won his board battles and was a catalyst in continually converging plays toward the dangerous scoring areas over making the fancy plays (which players his age overdue which cause them to miss out on scoring chances and to lose puck possession). Dellandrea already plays a pro-style game and has skills to go along with it, plus he has more time to develop if you factor his age, he projects really well. Btw, I wouldn't look too much into his stats because his team was trash.

And skating is not a major issue for Dellandrea...

Too many stats watcher in this thread I feel like.

Last edited:

HC7

May 2, 2018
How many games of him have you seen him play to make a statement like that? He was one of the most notable players on both sides of the ice for team Canada at the WJC18 tournament from my viewing. Competed hard, won his board battles and was a catalyst in continually converging plays toward the dangerous scoring areas over making the fancy plays (which players his age overdue which cause them to miss out on scoring chances and to lose puck possession). Dellandrea already plays a pro-style game and has skills to go along with it, plus he has more time to develop if you factor his age, he projects really well. Btw, I wouldn't look too much into his stats because his team was trash.

Agreed.

This kid is already one of the best defensive forwards in the draft, and has all the tools offensively. Not only does he play in all situations, but he's always in the middle of it. Add to that the fact his advanced stats are behind only Svech, and it's a not brainer. He will go top 10 in a redraft within a year.

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
Full disclosure that I don't know the finite details about what happened that led to the exodus of a lot of Flint's core players such as Ryan Moore, Will Bitten, Kole Sherwood etc etc but I give full credit for Dellandrea, a top NHL prospect in his own right for sticking around and seeing through the difficult times Flint has inevitably been through. In all likelihood this will have taught perserverance and he's a better player and person for it.

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Your take was accurate his was terrible. It also stood out to me how well he played with elite offensive players, his instincts are great. Really hope the sens take him at 22.

Stat watchers or people that dont really understand what they are watching. Its very common around here.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
this guy is super underrated. if you were to switch him and hayton we would be talking about Dellandrea as a top15 pick easily, maybe top10. flint should be better next season, watch him score 80+ points and people be saying whoever got him was a steal.

Reactions: 99664987 and Smif

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
A couple months ago I was hoping Montreal would take him with an early 2nd, but looks like he'll be gone by that point now. Maybe if we get a late first for Pacioretty we'll have the chance to draft him!

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Next Bo Horvat from what I've seen... He's going to be a gem for whoever get's him late first

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
I assume you’re basing this on the only team to interview him today was the Leafs, probably just means they haven’t done any homework til now.

Maple Leafs scouts interview everyone. He's also a Toronto kid, so they've likely been watching him and seen him for years. I suspect it was his 2nd interview with Toronto. But given his position, upside and expected draft spot, it makes logical sense that he'd be high on Toronto's BPA list.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He drives and sees the ice well, think he could emerge into a number two centre if drafted to the right team, but if he goes to the wrong team he could bust very bad. I see shades of Bo Horvat in him.

Reactions: Scott Malkinson

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Your take was accurate his was terrible. It also stood out to me how well he played with elite offensive players, his instincts are great. Really hope the sens take him at 22.

Stat watchers or people that dont really understand what they are watching. Its very common around here.

I've seen him play plenty.

He's a slowish junior 'hands' guy with no skills that pop that will separate him at higher levels. He sounds like a really great kid and he's absolutely a hard worker with some intangibles to his game but I don't see him at all as a top-6 NHL center. A Brad Richardson, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->