C Tristen Robins - Saskatoon Blades, WHL (2020, 56th, SJS)

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
What is up with this kid? Exploded offensively from 25 in 68 to 73 in 62 playing with absolute nobodies but there seems to be no talk about him?

asa

Mar 3, 2014
What is up with this kid? Exploded offensively from 25 in 68 to 73 in 62 playing with absolute nobodies but there seems to be no talk about him?
Not sure what the knock on him is. He can skate, and is very good in his own end of the ice to. Pretty impressive kid.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah I have him in my 2nd round.

He is a bit undersized and lacks any "elite" level skills, but it's hard to knock him. His overall game and production is just solid.

I just think he lacks the upside and wow factor that gets prospects more talked about, but could see him becoming a solid pro.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
If a player doesn't have at least one elite trait by the end of their draft year it's tough to see them make the nhl but he does play a well rounded game so there's a chance. He should go in the 3rd-4th but unless he makes big strides in his game I think he should be back as a OA in his draft+2 as he's a late bday and don't see him being ready for the AHL after only one more year. Would likely get buried in the depth chart his 1st pro year, at least if the Avs picked him he would. Anyway here's some video of him

Reactions: canucklax

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Drafted by the Regina Pats in the fourth round of the 2017 WHL Bantam Draft, Tristen Robins would play just one game as an underage player for Regina before being traded to the Saskatoon Blades at the 2018 WHL Trade Deadline. With Regina loading up as hosts of the 2018 Memorial Cup, and Saskatoon continuing their rebuild, the trade was a classic example of a team giving up future production in an attempt to win Major Junior Hockey’s biggest prize. The trade would eventually pay off for the Blades. This year, in his second full WHL campaign, Robins had a breakout year. He put up 33 goals and 40 assists for 73 points in 62 games before the season was cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Last season, the Brandon, Manitoba native put up just nine goals and 16 assists for 25 points in 66 regular-season games with limited ice-time. He would go on to add three goals and one assist for four points in 10 WHL Playoff Games. Before coming to the WHL, Robins played his midget hockey for Rink Hockey Academy Prep School in the CSSHL. In 2017-18 he scored 20 goals and 54 points in just 31 games.

Our Scouting Report
Tristen Robins Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #90

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What do Ozzy Wiesblatt and Ridly Greig have that Tristen Robins doesn't?

They're all taller than 5'10 and shorter than 6'0.
Robins was born in November of 01, while Wiesblatt March of 02 and Greig August of 02 (so he's a bit younger than one, and a lot older than the other, but average draft age).
They all play center (all are often listed as wings but clearly have face-off attempts numbers that indicated full-time centers)
Robins has the best FO% of the three
Robins has the best Goal per GP of the three
Robins has the best Pts/GP% of the three (1.18 vs 1.09 for Wiesblatt and 1.07 for Greig)
Robins has the fewest of his points via the power play
Robins the highest hare of total team offense (35% vs 33% for Wiesblatt and 26% for Greig)
Robins has the highest share of total team goals, too (16% vs 12% and 11%)

Scouting reports and highlight videos on all three boast about them being well-rounded, 200ft centers, who can pass and shoot, and play hard-nosed, direct, gritty games.

All three seem VERY similar to me as an arm-chair scout. Yet Robins is regular ranked 1-2 full rounds behind Greig and Wiesblatt. I generally see Robins ranked 55-85, and occasionally much later (in the 100s). Yet Greig and Wiesblatt are usually ranked anywhere from the mid-to-late teens to the early-to-mid 40s.

Can any WHL watchers help me understand?

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The biggest thing is his skating needs a lot more work than the other 2. He's also not as imposing as the other 2(especially Greig) or as high of skill level. Robins seems like a top 6 ahl scorer who might be a injury replacement type realistically where Greig you're getting a 3rd liner at least and Wiesblatt is a bit more risky but good chance you're getting a nhler also. Development isn't linear but Robins has a lot longer of a road to go as all areas of his game need to make big jumps to make the show. I still like him as a late 2nd-mid 3rd type but just watching the other 2(especialy Greig) there is a lot more of their game that jumps out as a future nhler. I also kinda doubt he's quite 5'10 irl so size could be a bit of an issue with players who have no true elite traits

tcat84

Sep 15, 2014
I'm sure Robins being born in November doesn't help things. Greig is an Aug bday so he presumably has more room to grow .

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Robins killed it the second half of the season. Would be a tragedy if he fell below the 2nd round.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The biggest thing is his skating needs a lot more work than the other 2. He's also not as imposing as the other 2(especially Greig) or as high of skill level. Robins seems like a top 6 ahl scorer who might be a injury replacement type realistically where Greig you're getting a 3rd liner at least and Wiesblatt is a bit more risky but good chance you're getting a nhler also. Development isn't linear but Robins has a lot longer of a road to go as all areas of his game need to make big jumps to make the show. I still like him as a late 2nd-mid 3rd type but just watching the other 2(especialy Greig) there is a lot more of their game that jumps out as a future nhler. I also kinda doubt he's quite 5'10 irl so size could be a bit of an issue with players who have no true elite traits
That's an interesting note about skating. All the scouting reports seem to view it as a strength - and obviosuly the highlights(who doesn't look good in those - lol) :)

Thanks!

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
What do Ozzy Wiesblatt and Ridly Greig have that Tristen Robins doesn't?

They're all taller than 5'10 and shorter than 6'0.
Robins was born in November of 01, while Wiesblatt March of 02 and Greig August of 02 (so he's a bit younger than one, and a lot older than the other, but average draft age).
They all play center (all are often listed as wings but clearly have face-off attempts numbers that indicated full-time centers)
Robins has the best FO% of the three
Robins has the best Goal per GP of the three
Robins has the best Pts/GP% of the three (1.18 vs 1.09 for Wiesblatt and 1.07 for Greig)
Robins has the fewest of his points via the power play
Robins the highest hare of total team offense (35% vs 33% for Wiesblatt and 26% for Greig)
Robins has the highest share of total team goals, too (16% vs 12% and 11%)

Scouting reports and highlight videos on all three boast about them being well-rounded, 200ft centers, who can pass and shoot, and play hard-nosed, direct, gritty games.

All three seem VERY similar to me as an arm-chair scout. Yet Robins is regular ranked 1-2 full rounds behind Greig and Wiesblatt. I generally see Robins ranked 55-85, and occasionally much later (in the 100s). Yet Greig and Wiesblatt are usually ranked anywhere from the mid-to-late teens to the early-to-mid 40s.

Can any WHL watchers help me understand?

I only saw him before the new year, but he got hot late in the year and was apparently looking pretty impressive. Their final list isn't out yet, but HockeyProspects said they have Robins in their top-25.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I only saw him before the new year, but he got hot late in the year and was apparently looking pretty impressive. Their final list isn't out yet, but HockeyProspects said they have Robins in their top-25.

54 points in his final 33 games and something like 24 in his last 13. He kept improving after getting moved from wing to top line center.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
That's an interesting note about skating. All the scouting reports seem to view it as a strength - and obviosuly the highlights(who doesn't look good in those - lol) :)

Thanks!
Also I don't think he's a bad skater by any means just he's only about average for players who will get drafted. Even with today's nhl becoming smaller and softer those smaller players have to be at least above average if not elite skating wise. 3-4 years of training might be able to get Robins there which is why he's worth a reasonably high pick and worth betting on for some close to the 1st.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I have him ranked 194 and I watched him a lot to see what I was missing. He just doesn’t do it for me. Cross Hanas does. Wiesblatt does. Sourdif, McLennon, Neighbours etc. — they all do.

He’s very opportunistic and has a great attitude. IQ and skating not a concern. I just never viewed him as an elite talent. Could be a case where he maxed out his abilities in his draft year because he didnt like being slighted early on.

I’m probably wrong ranking a bunch of high schoolers ahead of a kid who clipped the WHL but every game I watched him I never had any come-to-Jesus moment like watching Torgersson or Klikorka.

He’ll go in the first three rounds. Too many teams have double-digit picks. Can’t see a team making him the centerpiece of their draft though

Reactions: alexislafreniere

simonedvinsson

May 26, 2020
I have him ranked 194 and I watched him a lot to see what I was missing. He just doesn’t do it for me. Cross Hanas does. Wiesblatt does. Sourdif, McLennon, Neighbours etc. — they all do.

He’s very opportunistic and has a great attitude. IQ and skating not a concern. I just never viewed him as an elite talent. Could be a case where he maxed out his abilities in his draft year because he didnt like being slighted early on.

I’m probably wrong ranking a bunch of high schoolers ahead of a kid who clipped the WHL but every game I watched him I never had any come-to-Jesus moment like watching Torgersson or Klikorka.

He’ll go in the first three rounds. Too many teams have double-digit picks. Can’t see a team making him the centerpiece of their draft though
That’s generally my feeling on him too. From the second round onward, it’s all a crapshoot though. I really like Hanas and a few others, but there aren’t many guys after 40-50 that I’m too excited about. I’d almost rather see my team start swinging for the fences at that point, drafting over-agers and Russian players.

Edit: All of that said, Robins is in my top fifty, probably in the 40-45 range. I’d love to have him as a third or fourth line energy guy.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

194 is too low.

I wouldn't peg him as elite either, but he does everything well. Adam Beckman was like this last year and so far he's proving me right for ranking him top 50.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
My value system has him 16th, his weight for his height is fine, grouped with Brisson, Mysak and Khusadinov, but a tier below the guys ahead of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->