C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Look at this highlight reel. The creativity and IQ of Zegras ooze out of almost every play.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
How’s this guys skating? Just based on the highlights he seems to be faster than you’d think watching him. He has kind of a wide skating stance and great edges and gliding so I’d guess he gets around well out there despite not needing to move his feet as much as other players.

Looking at the kid at the end of the video he seems pretty physically immature which would speak well for developing more physically.

His skill is obviously high level though I think his play style has some question marks translating to the NHL.

I also view this kid as a guy who has a ton of potential but also a slight risk of busting.

Again, my comments are based on a si for highlight vid so take them with a grain of salt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he has elite vision, skating and stick handling. I also think he's very likely to stick at center. I don't know if he's underrated by NHL teams, but he's the least talked about of the NTDP forwards who'll go in the top 20. I see him as a better prospect than Caufield and Boldy, and he might be a full tier above both. He should be talked about more by fans.

Reactions: Deam78 and beaverjc

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he has elite vision, skating and stick handling. I also think he's very likely to stick at center. I don't know if he's underrated by NHL teams, but he's the least talked about of the NTDP forwards who'll go in the top 20. I see him as a better prospect than Caufield and Boldy, and he might be a full tier above both. He should be talked about more by fans.
I think he is less talked about because his value is not in doubt, and he slots into the top 10 as a safe choice He's a C he does everything well, but not brilliantly. Players like Caufield are talked about more because people are more confused as to how to value them.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Not a comment about Zegras (however he won't want to be doing some of those things in the NHL) but I can't watch any more low lights from the USHL. Not impressed with the calibre of play or players overall. Having to play a hand picked team is somewhat unfair and embarrassing for them.

Serious question, are they expected to take it easy physically on the USNTDP team. Maybe I learned to play hockey in the bush but I wouldn't let guys skate around me like that all game untouched.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Not a comment about Zegras (however he won't want to be doing some of those things in the NHL) but I can't watch any more low lights from the USHL. Not impressed with the calibre of play or players overall. Having to play a hand picked team is somewhat unfair and embarrassing for them.

Serious question, are they expected to take it easy physically on the USNTDP team. Maybe I learned to play hockey in the bush but I wouldn't let guys skate around me like that all game untouched.
If you try to hit them and miss you will be out of position... and all the USA players have extreme skill to avoid a hit.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I have my fingers crossed that he is available at 10.

I'm assuming that Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach,Cozens, Turcotte, Boldy, and likely Podkolzin and Krebs are off the board before him.

I think teams are going to have a tough tome picking between him and Krebs though. I personally think Zegras has a far higher ceiling.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
top 20?

Zegras is easily gone by 12, if not before 10!

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras , Krebs, Boldy whoever is left is who I want Anaheim to choose.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

yeah there is no blown coverage in the CHL...I watched a lot of London and Boqvist and Bouchard looked like they were playing against beer leaguers most nights..that is junior hockey, your mighty CHL is no different at all...

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
yeah there is no blown coverage in the CHL...I watched a lot of London and Boqvist and Bouchard looked like they were playing against beer leaguers most nights..that is junior hockey, your mighty CHL is no different at all...

Me thinks I touched a nerve. I stand by what I said. The caliber of the USHL is not a high as the CHL overall and it shows. It will be perhaps but it isn't at the moment. London sucks watch the 67's

Isn't it also hard to watch a hand picked elite team slaughter these guys. If I'm a USHL player I'm not going to response so passively. I'll be happy to take a run at Hughes, Zegras or any other player for that matter and loosen a few chiclets.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Me thinks I touched a nerve. I stand by what I said. The caliber of the USHL is not a high as the CHL overall and it shows. It will be perhaps but it isn't at the moment. London sucks watch the 67's

Isn't it also hard to watch a hand picked elite team slaughter these guys. If I'm a USHL player I'm not going to response so passively. I'll be happy to take a run at Hughes, Zegras or any other player for that matter and loosen a few chiclets.
no nerve, you just made a dumb statement. junior hockey has few and far between 200ft players, or pure shut down defenders- just the facts. CHL is a great league, I love watching the OHL and Memorial Cup, but it is hardly high quality 200ft hockey..CHL is better than the USHL, but nobody is arguing that..just odd to come in here and make that statement when I can do the exact same in so many CHL kids threads like Bouchard, Krebs, Boqvist, Suzuki, etc..this is why projecting these kids is so hard and why soooooooo many 90 plus point CHLers never make it past the ECHL/AHL..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why do people criticized the level of Junior hockey? What are you expecting? On the whole, the overwhelming majority of players in any given junior hockey game in any junior hockey league will not turn into high level pro hockey players. Should we be surprised that top ten picks will make these players look like beer leaguers?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Why do people criticized the level of Junior hockey? What are you expecting? On the whole, the overwhelming majority of players in any given junior hockey game in any junior hockey league will not turn into high level pro hockey players. Should we be surprised that top ten picks will make these players look like beer leaguers?

I agree with every statement that you have made. I'm just saying that if I'm a competitive player (USHL) and these elite players are showing me up I'm not going to be such a nice guy.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
no nerve, you just made a dumb statement. junior hockey has few and far between 200ft players, or pure shut down defenders- just the facts. CHL is a great league, I love watching the OHL and Memorial Cup, but it is hardly high quality 200ft hockey..CHL is better than the USHL, but nobody is arguing that..just odd to come in here and make that statement when I can do the exact same in so many CHL kids threads like Bouchard, Krebs, Boqvist, Suzuki, etc..this is why projecting these kids is so hard and why soooooooo many 90 plus point CHLers never make it past the ECHL/AHL..

Then I haven't made such a dumb statement after all then. Projecting these kids is hard and even harder with your development team as they play so many games against inferior opposition. (I can include the U18 WC by the way). Now I'll have the Swiss, the Finns, the Germans and the Latvians all over me lol! As you know in Canada there is a much more equitable distribution of talent at the junior level.

I'm in no way denigrating the US talent in this draft year. You, especially have an incredible collection of really dynamic forwards that will go early in the draft. It's that they all play on the same team. Different schools of thought I guess.

But if I'm a USHL player and those guys are skating rings around me and my team mates like that we play some old school hockey and find out how tough we all are. Way too many big smiles and laughs behind those face masks. Just sayin' lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->