C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Another forward from the U17 NTDP team who might be a first round pick in 2019. Zegras is a very good skater who has good puck skills and playmaking ability. I'd like to see more before I say for sure he'll be a first round pick, he's played an understated role this season behind Hughes and Turcotte at center, but now he's the first line center with those two promoted. Good stats, as well so far this season. He had 6 points at the WHC-17 and has 21 points in 21 games in the USHL, which was fourth on the U17 NTDP team.

Trevor Zegras

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
definitely a lot of talent on this team. it will be interesting to see how some of these kids rise/fall next year, but I like Zegras and his work ethic - good IQ with some skill, he has the chance to be a solid player

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The first time I saw Zegras play this year for the NDTP, his skating ability immediately stood out. He hasn't been on the score sheet as much as some of his team mates so far, but he's definitely shown some promise. All the promotions should give him more ice time for the remainder of the season, which can only help him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
anyone think Zegras pulls a Blade Jenkins and jumps to the Steel Heads next year? Not sure why I feel he might do it - that group is so deep that he might want the chance to stand out and play there for his draft year. He is committed to play at BC for whatever the reason I can see him jumping ship and I honestly don't know why I feel that outside of more opportunity for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two more points. I think he'll be a first round pick next year. Could be playing at the WJC18 this year, but he might have a big USHL playoffs.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
And just like that, my opinion might've even been a little low on Zegras for now. Pronman has him #3 in his first 2019 list.

3. Trevor Zegras, C, USNTDP-USHL
Zegras didn’t have the giant numbers like his teammate Hughes and Cole Caufield, but I was every bit impressed by his talent level. After a lot of the call-ups happened midseason, Zegras’ game went to another level. He needs some maturing in his game, but he has high-end speed, skill and playmaking ability. He’s the kind of player who can push the pace with his skating and hands, but also QB a power play very well. He’s not a big guy, but he still could be an impact player at the pro level

Pronman: Way too early top 25 for the 2019 NHL draft

Reactions: JiggsNY

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
anyone think Zegras pulls a Blade Jenkins and jumps to the Steel Heads next year? Not sure why I feel he might do it - that group is so deep that he might want the chance to stand out and play there for his draft year. He is committed to play at BC for whatever the reason I can see him jumping ship and I honestly don't know why I feel that outside of more opportunity for him.

Zegras is a 2019 recruit for BU, not BC. He and the rest of the NTDP U18s will be at Agganis Arena on Oct. 19 for an exhibition vs. the Terriers. Hopefully it will be live-streamed for free.
Hockey Was the Only Sport for Trevor Zegras

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018
The more I watch Trevor Zegras, the more I like him. Super skill center with good stick-handling and edges. He got a great release too. I once mistook him for Hughes because of how similar their style of play are (he wears #53 while Hughes has #43). Undersized, but talented. I'm very happy he's a center as he'll be able to make his own name and not fall into the "It's because of Hughes" narrative. He has now rise into my Top 15.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The more I watch Trevor Zegras, the more I like him. Super skill center with good stick-handling and edges. He got a great release too. I once mistook him for Hughes because of how similar their style of play are (he wears #53 while Hughes has #43). Undersized, but talented. I'm very happy he's a center as he'll be able to make his own name and not fall into the "It's because of Hughes" narrative. He has now rise into my Top 15.

I just want to emphasize this same thought.....except more than once. In general, I'd say he reminds me of Hughes-lite, which couldn't be further from an insult. It's not just their style; it's their mannerisms; you could've been momentarily fooled if he was wearing #43. He also seemingly dances across the ice with his speed/quickness/edges, handling pucks with speed, making no looks passes on the tape, always being in the right spot and making super fast decisions. He just pops out there, and when I saw him the few times I have, I couldn't take my eyes off him. Similar size, high motor, tough to physically beat for a kid of his build, the whole shabang. It's like he watched Hughes and took notes.

I really liked watching Boldy with him because I thought he was a good compliment and potential top 15 kid in his own right, but when I saw them together, it was Zegras who looked like the line driver. I'd go even a step further and agree with another poster that Zegras looks like a potential top 10 prospect to me, even in range of top 5 for me entering the season. Can't wait to watch him this year and see who takes the cake between him and Turcotte.

Reactions: Andy Lehoux

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’d love to see a compare/contrast on Turcotte, Zegras and Boldy. All three in the same system. Similar numbers. All described as C/W with optionality.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They are all different players.

Boldy is a winger. I don't even know if he's played center before, but definitely looks like a winger at the next level.

Zegras has the same types of positional problems as Hughes. Physically weak and somewhat of a perimeter game. I actually do like his defense and compete level. He's also slightly taller than Hughes and not as turnover prone, so he might even be more likely to stick at center than the better player Hughes, but its the same type of positional situation.

Turcotte is a definite center, and maybe an elite defensive one in the NHL eventually. He's a turnover-forcing machine. Absolute nightmare for defensemen who can't move the puck. He has a great read of the game defensively. He was first over the boards for the 17's NTDP team for a defensive zone shift late in the game or penalty kill. He's only 5'11, but he has a pro build. Really strong kid. Holds people off using his lower body strength. Goes to the dirty areas in all three zones.

Offensively, they are different, as well. Boldy plays a skill game, but not anywhere near what Turcotte or Zegras do. If he only played a skill game, he would be a second round pick or maybe third round pick, but the fact that he's a hard worker who competes really hard and has an excellent motor helps him out. He reminds me in a lot of ways of a smaller and not as good Brady Tkachuk. He plays with some skill, but a lot of effort. Probably only an okay skater, not going to dance his way through the whole defense for a highlight-reel goal, but he can keep up with skilled guys. Needs to put on weight for his type of game, but I can see him as a two way winger who scores 40 points per season in his prime leaning more towards a power forward than a finesse forward.

Zegras reminds me a lot of Mat Barzal. Elite speed breaking out of the zone, puck handling and playmaking. Definitely more of a playmaker than goal-scorer. Smart player who can control a shift. I like his defensive game, despite clearly needing to put on weight. He's very good, just overshadowed by the fact that two guys on his team also playing center are better players. I'd say 70-75 point guy per season who is competent, although not great, defensively is definitely possible.

Turcotte is a two way guy, but if he didn't have a two way game, he'd still be a very good offensive prospect. He's another great skater breaking out of the zone. He can get wherever he wants on the ice with his skating. Very good playmaker with a high hockey IQ. Definitely skilled, but he's not as skilled as Hughes. Hughes can legitimately walk a whole team on a shift, skate around the zone a couple of times and not break a sweat. Turcotte can walk players and take over shifts at a normal level for a very skilled offensive player. One area where he's not great is his shot. Its not terrible, but I'd say below-average. Not much of a shooter either. He has tremendous hands. Better than Zegras. Maybe as good as Hughes in this regard, so he scores a lot of goals in close. Projects as like a comfortable 75 point per season player with Selke potential.

Overall, Boldy is clearly the lesser of the three guys. He has potential to be around an average 4th winger, so thats not bad and he plays a safe enough game that he can play towards the bottom of your lineup if the rest of his game doesn't pan out offensively. Zegras and Turcotte are much better prospects. Zegras has 1C potential, but he has to first stick at the position and then emerge into a bigger role. Turcotte is not the tallest guy and he's not a huge goal-scorer. He's dynamic, but not going to be the most dynamic player in the NHL. He's a likely 1C as I see it. Probably not the top of the league 1C's. Somewhat around what Nico Hischier could be projected as.

I think there's separation here in how they'd rank. Boldy isn't bad, but at least a couple tiers behind the other two. There's also a gap between Turcotte and Zegras because Turcotte is going to be a better two way guy and the offense is probably very similar, even shaded towards Turcotte maybe. More proven, as well. Its a much smaller gap though between those two compared to Boldy. Its maybe five or so draft slots compared to about 20-25 when comparing those two to Boldy.

Ranking the three:

Turcotte-Definite top 5. Likely top top 3. Best case to a Hughes alternative at 1 is probably Turcotte.
Zegras-Probably stays within top half of first. Potential would be around #5 for his maximum slot.
(gap)
Boldy-Late first guy for now. Could get towards around #20 for maximum. Round 2 is also possible.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Even though he's ranked #19 in TSN's preseason draft rankings, Zegras is probably the most underrated American player in the draft. He's highly skilled and at 6'0 now, the size concerns are largely unjustified. With the stacked NTDP team, he may not play the primary offensive role he would on nearly any other team, but if that causes him to slip, some NHL team is going to be really lucky.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Zegras deserves an update. 4 points vs Muskegon on saturday, and then 3 more today vs Dubuque. 19 points (6-13) this season now in 12 games. Now tied for the team lead in points with Hughes.

This guy is the most underrated player in the draft right now. He's having a great season, and he has game-breaking offensive talent. Some lists have have him outside the top 20.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

There have been rumblings... although there always is about top NDTP players it seems! Very few are creditable! he just has a similar vibe that Wilde had and look where he ended up!

teemussalami1

Mar 16, 2017
This guy is the most underrated player in the draft right now. He's having a great season, and he has game-breaking offensive talent. Some lists have have him outside the top 20.

Another player buried because of the insane talent on the NTDP squad. I think we'll look back on this team in a few years as one of those teams that had an insane amount of quality NHLers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->