C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He is committed to Boston U in 2020, any idea where he will be playing next year?

That is something I hadn't noticed. I would've expected him to be attending Boston U next year like most of the other NTDP players his age. Maybe his EP page is wrong and he's attending next year.

If he is supposed to attend in 2020, I don't know if he'll ever get to Boston U. I don't think he'll play in the NHL next year, but I think there's a good chance he could the season after. The impending lockout could get him to Boston U.

I don't see the sense in him playing another season in the USHL. I guess thats the only way he could maintain his NCAA eligibility though. If he doesn't care any longer about that and he isn't going to attend Boston U next year, AHL makes the most sense. He could play in the OHL, but what would be the point? He'd dominate the OHL. Mississauga has his OHL rights, if thats the route he goes.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
That is something I hadn't noticed. I would've expected him to be attending Boston U next year like most of the other NTDP players his age. Maybe his EP page is wrong and he's attending next year.

If he is supposed to attend in 2020, I don't know if he'll ever get to Boston U. I don't think he'll play in the NHL next year, but I think there's a good chance he could the season after. The impending lockout could get him to Boston U.

I don't see the sense in him playing another season in the USHL. I guess thats the only way he could maintain his NCAA eligibility though. If he doesn't care any longer about that and he isn't going to attend Boston U next year, AHL makes the most sense. He could play in the OHL, but what would be the point? He'd dominate the OHL. Mississauga has his OHL rights, if thats the route he goes.
I guess if you don't think he's physically up to the task of AHL hockey, but want him in the best league possible OHL is the way to go. Though I think a smart player like Zegras can survive the AHL.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I guess if you don't think he's physically up to the task of AHL hockey, but want him in the best league possible OHL is the way to go. Though I think a smart player like Zegras can survive the AHL.

Not a big fan of 18 year olds in the AHL, if he doesn't go NCAA , OHL would be the best choice at least for a year, then he can go straight to the AHL ala J.T Miller or NHL.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Not a big fan of 18 year olds in the AHL, if he doesn't go NCAA , OHL would be the best choice at least for a year, then he can go straight to the AHL ala J.T Miller or NHL.
Each individual is different. I would much rather Zadina with Grand Rapids than another year in Halifax, he's too good for that league.

Hopefully Zegras accelerates his schooling and plays with BU next year

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Each individual is different. I would much rather Zadina with Grand Rapids than another year in Halifax, he's too good for that league.

Hopefully Zegras accelerates his schooling and plays with BU next year

Zadina turned 19 this year, he's in the same year of development as the 99s even though he's a late birthdate , he should be treated differently then a freshly drafted 00 born.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Zadina turned 19 this year, he's in the same year of development as the 99s even though he's a late birthdate , he should be treated differently then a freshly drafted 00 born.
True, but if you have a '00 born who you think to be more suited for the AHL, would you hold him back simply on the fact that he's an 18-year-old? You're right that some struggle and eventually bust. See: Filatov, potentially W. Nylander and Puljujarvi. But there are success stories too. Pastrnak, Voynov, Lindholm, Eberle, etc. It's tough to come to a conclusion at this point since not many players have gone the route largely due to CHL restrictions.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
True, but if you have a '00 born who you think to be more suited for the AHL, would you hold him back simply on the fact that he's an 18-year-old? You're right that some struggle and eventually bust. See: Filatov, potentially W. Nylander and Puljujarvi. But there are success stories too. Pastrnak, Voynov, Lindholm, Eberle, etc. It's tough to come to a conclusion at this point since not many players have gone the route largely due to CHL restrictions.
W. nylander??? dude, he scored 60 points in two straight seasons, how can he potentially be a bust?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Id have boldy first but I agree with the rest.

Where do you rank turcotte and Caufield?

Turcotte
Zegras
Boldy
Wahlstrom
Caufield
Farabee

Turcotte is the most underrated player in the draft. Elite hockey IQ, very hard worker in all zones, not Hughes skilled but not hugely far off. Great skater. I think he'll be a mid-range 1C in the NHL. Zetterberg style player. Hischier if you want a current comparable.

Zegras reminds me of Barzal. I like his chances of sticking at center better than Hughes, although he's always going to be offense-first. I think some have started to overrate him though. I think there's risk with him staying at center, so I don't see him as a potential top 5 pick.

Boldy has moved up in my opinion in recent months. He's more skilled than I initially thought and a better skater than I initially thought, although I think I overrated his hockey IQ. All-around winger. Might be able to drive the play on a first line. He brings some of a power-forward role, but his skill keeps him on the perimeter more than it probably should.

I've never been the biggest Wahlstrom fan, but he has one of the best releases you'll see. If he can find space, he'll score 30 per year in the NHL. The rest of his game is the issue, in my opinion. I've never liked his skill, hockey IQ and while he's a good skater, he doesn't use it well. I don't see the point in making much of a slow start though. He can still turn it around. Reminds me of Owen Tippett.

Caufield is a very quality hockey player, but there are obvious limitations. I think he's going to score a lot of goals in the NHL, but thats pretty much all he'll do at a better than average level. Reminds me of Alex DeBrincat. I don't think there's such a huge risk of him busting due to size. His skill, skating, work-ethic is good, but at that size, it needs to be better than it is for those skills to play better than average at the NHL level.

Farabee is a very hard working player. I see him playing as a all-around second line winger who can play all-situations. He has some ability to make offensive plays, but nothing too high-level. Excellent penalty killer and a very high hockey IQ.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Turcotte
Zegras
Boldy
Wahlstrom
Caufield
Farabee

Turcotte is the most underrated player in the draft. Elite hockey IQ, very hard worker in all zones, not Hughes skilled but not hugely far off. Great skater. I think he'll be a mid-range 1C in the NHL. Zetterberg style player. Hischier if you want a current comparable.

Zegras reminds me of Barzal. I like his chances of sticking at center better than Hughes, although he's always going to be offense-first. I think some have started to overrate him though. I think there's risk with him staying at center, so I don't see him as a potential top 5 pick.

Boldy has moved up in my opinion in recent months. He's more skilled than I initially thought and a better skater than I initially thought, although I think I overrated his hockey IQ. All-around winger. Might be able to drive the play on a first line. He brings some of a power-forward role, but his skill keeps him on the perimeter more than it probably should.

I've never been the biggest Wahlstrom fan, but he has one of the best releases you'll see. If he can find space, he'll score 30 per year in the NHL. The rest of his game is the issue, in my opinion. I've never liked his skill, hockey IQ and while he's a good skater, he doesn't use it well. I don't see the point in making much of a slow start though. He can still turn it around. Reminds me of Owen Tippett.

Caufield is a very quality hockey player, but there are obvious limitations. I think he's going to score a lot of goals in the NHL, but thats pretty much all he'll do at a better than average level. Reminds me of Alex DeBrincat. I don't think there's such a huge risk of him busting due to size. His skill, skating, work-ethic is good, but at that size, it needs to be better than it is for those skills to play better than average at the NHL level.

Farabee is a very hard working player. I see him playing as a all-around second line winger who can play all-situations. He has some ability to make offensive plays, but nothing too high-level. Excellent penalty killer and a very high hockey IQ.
Welp, pretty much agree with every thing you said. I absolutely love Turcotte, I think he could challenge for number one in the draft after a few years.

Reactions: Frannel

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Zegras thrives in shadow of Hughes ahead of 2019 NHL Draft
High praise from Wroblewski:
"When it's time to make a choice for who's playing where on the power play between him and Jack and which guys get to go out next, he makes a very strong argument for being the best power player on the team. His ability to navigate the half-wall on either side and pick apart the opposition is as good as I've ever seen. He finds the seams. He knows when to shoot. He's got deception to his game and there's fearlessness to him that he's not scared to make mistakes -- and he doesn't make many of them. He's just been an unbelievable player to watch.

"He's a first-line player in college hockey right now," Wroblewski said. "He'll step in and I'm sure if (Philadelphia Flyers prospect) Joel Farabee is still there, that's probably a combo you will see right out the gate. Trevor will be a first-line center for them [BU] and the go-to power play guy as a freshman, no doubt in my mind."

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Zegras thrives in shadow of Hughes ahead of 2019 NHL Draft
High praise from Wroblewski:
"When it's time to make a choice for who's playing where on the power play between him and Jack and which guys get to go out next, he makes a very strong argument for being the best power player on the team. His ability to navigate the half-wall on either side and pick apart the opposition is as good as I've ever seen. He finds the seams. He knows when to shoot. He's got deception to his game and there's fearlessness to him that he's not scared to make mistakes -- and he doesn't make many of them. He's just been an unbelievable player to watch.

"He's a first-line player in college hockey right now," Wroblewski said. "He'll step in and I'm sure if (Philadelphia Flyers prospect) Joel Farabee is still there, that's probably a combo you will see right out the gate. Trevor will be a first-line center for them [BU] and the go-to power play guy as a freshman, no doubt in my mind."
Some high praise

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Last 2 mock drafts I’ve seen have him going top 5 and not a lot of talk about him on here.

Averaging out many of the rankings he’s above guys like Krebs and Turcotte. Can he go top 5?

I like his skating and passing

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This whole draft is weird, this guy and turcotte seem to be getting no love but they are special .

Reactions: Dijock94

Sputniker

Jan 5, 2016
This whole draft is weird, this guy and turcotte seem to be getting no love but they are special .

Could it be The Jack Hughes Effect? They're getting overshadowed by Hughes as if both of them were bringing just secondary-scoring-like contribution in the team. Still, this doesn't explain the lack of discussion as a whole, especially when it comes to Zegras.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another forward from the U17 NTDP team who might be a first round pick in 2019. Zegras is a very good skater who has good puck skills and playmaking ability. I'd like to see more before I say for sure he'll be a first round pick, he's played an understated role this season behind Hughes and Turcotte at center, but now he's the first line center with those two promoted. Good stats, as well so far this season. He had 6 points at the WHC-17 and has 21 points in 21 games in the USHL, which was fourth on the U17 NTDP team.

Trevor Zegras

I love this prospect. And scouts should too. Ticks off a lot of boxes. Could be a steal if he goes around #10. I can see him going closer around #5. Good thread starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad