C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
buried in terms of notoriety and recognition, but not in terms of usage and linemates.

I wouldn't even agree with that notion.... he gets plenty of recognition and notoriety from scouts which is all that matters. he has made it pretty hard for anyone scouting their games to not pay attention to him.... maybe the media and basement scouts are now just coming around on him but who really cares! He's likely going in the top half of the first round... hard for a prospect to be buried with that skill set.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wouldn't even agree with that notion.... he gets plenty of recognition and notoriety from scouts which is all that matters. he has made it pretty hard for anyone scouting their games to not pay attention to him.... maybe the media and basement scouts are now just coming around on him but who really cares! He's likely going in the top half of the first round... hard for a prospect to be buried with that skill set.
most scouting lists have him outside the top 20...that will change

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Everyone keeps talking about Keller’s production in regards to Hughes, I honestly feel Zegras is closer to Keller than Keller is to Hughes. 29 points is 17 games!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Call me an optimist, but I don't see Zegras as being much less dynamic than Hughes.
You're entitled to your opinion, but Zegras and Hughes are not even in the same vicinity of talent. Zegras clearly benefits from Hughes than any other prospect on the USNTDP since he gets to play as his winger. I consider Boldy a better prospect in the long run.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
You're entitled to your opinion, but Zegras and Hughes are not even in the same vicinity of talent. Zegras clearly benefits from Hughes than any other prospect on the USNTDP since he gets to play as his winger. I consider Boldy a better prospect in the long run.
In the games I've seen, I didn't feel as though Zegras and Hughes were very good together. Both need the puck on their stick to make things happen, so if one is controlling the play, the other can't do their thing.

This is the lineup I would go with:

Caulfield - Hughes - Caufield
Turcotte/Zegras - Zegras/Turcotte - Boldy
Farrell - Beecher - Rolston
Gildon - Moynihan - Lindmark
Weight

Puts each of Zegras and Hughes with more goal-scoring oriented players who don't need the puck on their stick to make things happen. Turcotte is a puck-carrier in his own right, but more of a north-south, puck distributor than the type who needs to hold on to the puck and find the perfect moment to find the open man.

Realistically, Zegras is a smarter defensive player than Hughes, and plays with more intensity. His skating is probably on par with that of Jack, his edges may even be a notch above and his one-on-one dekes are better from what I've seen. What sets Hughes apart is his IQ, and he also has a better shot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Hughes is a better offensive player, but Zegras has better two way potential. I prefer Hughes by at least a few draft slots, but I think its within the range of possibilities that Zegras could have a better career.

Reactions: Habs76

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Do Zegras and Boldy stack up to Wahlstrom and Farabee as pro prospects?

Their pre-draft USHL stats are in the same range (slight edge for Wahlstrom and Farabee). Zegras definitely seems to be more dynamic than Boldy...his (Boldys) offensive numbers with the USNTDP have been the least of the four but he has that all-weather game and pro frame scouts love and I think there is some developmental projection with him in terms of the scouting serives that have him Top 10 (or higher). Wahlstrom obviously has always been such an incredible scorer but his college transition has not been the smoothest, though its very early. Farabee for me has always glided under the radar - I can definitely see him leading the Terriers in scoring by the end of the season as a freshman.

Captain Clutch

May 2, 2012

This. Zegras is a fine prospect, there is no question about it but there has been this sort of weird vibe running through HFBoards recently about other guys who ought to be thought as being on the same level as Hughes. I am here to say that in my opinion, that is a bunch of nonsense. Kaako, Dach, Cozens, Boldy, Zegras, Turcotte.....they are all very good prospects, none of whom are in the same league as Hughes, who is elite in terms of puck skill, vision, compete level and most glaringly, skating. I think Hughes is going to have a career that will look eerily similar to Nathan Mackinnon in a few years. The only thing that Hughes lacks is size/strength. He will never be a big man but he certainly will have the opportunity to become strong enough, over time, to compete very effectively. Everyone seems to be sleeping on his skating which is the best I have seen since McDavid. I love all those other guys mentioned but none are on the same tier as Hughes. I think this will all become obvious in the World Juniors but for those who saw any of the U.S. games in the U18 Five Nations Cup, Hughes shredded a tournament of his peers, 16 points on 6 goals and 10 assists in 4 games.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I've honestly liked Zegras more than Hughes so far this year..

With that said, do I have him ranked higher than Hughes? Obviously not. Hughes was unbelievable last season and his body of work throughout his career has been more impressive.

There's still a lot of hockey to be played but if Zegras keeps outperforming Hughes it'll be interesting to see where he ends up going in the draft.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He is committed to Boston U in 2020, any idea where he will be playing next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad