C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the Avs are pretty happy with Bryam who could turn out to have the best career of the 19 draft players.

We can go into more depth in the Byram thread if you really want, but personally, I was much higher on Zegras (& Podkolzin) than I was Bowen. Even with my concerns I expect a nice partner for Makar...so it's not like I'm upset by the pick...but I don't see the same ceiling that Byram's biggest fans do and think his hype really benefitted from this weak class of blueliners.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
We can go into more depth in the Byram thread if you really want, but personally, I was much higher on Zegras (& Podkolzin) than I was Bowen. Even with my concerns I expect a nice partner for Makar...so it's not like I'm upset by the pick...but I don't see the same ceiling that Byram's biggest fans do and think his hype really benefitted from this weak class of blueliners.

To be sure I'm a big fan of Zegras, and wish he had fallen to 10 so my Canucks could have taken him but I think Bryam was the better choice, even with the weak year for blueliners as his game is so complete and even has an edge of nasty to him.

I see Zegras as a better more playmaking version of Kadri (when he is on his game at his best) and the ducks have to be extrmely pleased with him as he is going to be an impact player for the ducks as soon as the 21-22 season IMO.

Reactions: avsfan09

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
To be sure I'm a big fan of Zegras, and wish he had fallen to 10 so my Canucks could have taken him but I think Bryam was the better choice, even with the weak year for blueliners as his game is so complete and even has an edge of nasty to him.

I see Zegras as a better more playmaking version of Kadri (when he is on his game at his best) and the ducks have to be extrmely pleased with him as he is going to be an impact player for the ducks as soon as the 21-22 season IMO.

Don't get me wrong, Byram has a lot of things going for him that I like and on paper reads a lot like Heiskanen; whom I absolutely adored as a prospect...I was incredibly high on both Miro & Cale that year...so I get where people who are really high on him are coming from. It's how I felt about Heiskanen two years ago & Hanifin before him. But after the way I got burned by Hanifin, I am wary about using top 5 picks on blueliners that don't clearly have the dynamic talent to drive the play from the backend at the NHL level.

...and even though I really like Byram's play against the puck, his mean streak, and accept that, whether his shot will beat NHL goalies regularly or not, his goals displayed nice offensive instincts; I am not confident that he will really drive the play at the NHL level. Instead, I see him more as a 35-40 point guy at his peak...the Seabrook to Makar's Keith; if I was to build on the Keith comp that I liked so much for Makar as a prospect.

Byram's a great skater at the junior level, but I don't think he'll be explosive/quick enough against NHLers for his puck-rushing to be anywhere near as dynamic as it was in the dub. And if he ends up partnered with Makar on our big minute top pairing, then the transition game will not flow through him the way it did this past season. Throw in my concerns about the # of his goals that would've been stopped comfortably by NHL caliber keepers and we get to the current unknown of: how much will he be able to turn his shot into a weapon for Cale & co. to set up as a huge factor in whether he will be a significant offensive contributer or not.

If our pick had been closer to yours, I would've been perfectly happy with Bo being the pick. I just didn't love Byram as a top 5 pick because I didn't think the talent was dynamic enough to warrant a top 5 pick the way Makar, Heiskanen & Quinn Hughes' talent did. Especially not over guys like Pod & Zegras; whom I did see notably higher 'realistic ceilings' for...albeit ones that they are further away from realizing.

Reactions: tealhockey

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
So surprised that Zegras fell to 9 since Bergevin had him at 3 (had him at 3 as well).

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
After Yzerman surprised everyone by taking Seider, I thought for sure Zegras was going to Buffalo. While Cozens has nice tools, I feel his overall impact as an offensive threat is quite underwhelming compared to Zegras.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
After Yzerman surprised everyone by taking Seider, I thought for sure Zegras was going to Buffalo. While Cozens has nice tools, I feel his overall impact as an offensive threat is quite underwhelming compared to Zegras.

Agree, I had Zegras ranked way higher than Cozens. Zegras' upside blows Cozens out of the water. Don't think Seider going 6th was that surprising though, Bob's ranking was way out of date regarding him and Detroit is in dire need of defense.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Agree, I had Zegras ranked way higher than Cozens. Zegras' upside blows Cozens out of the water. Don't think Seider going 6th was that surprising though, Bob's ranking was way out of date regarding him and Detroit is in dire need of defense.
Yzerman is not alone on that, Bob Murray said he liked Seider alot in regards to who the Ducks were looking at before they picked.
Seider's rise from being thought of as a mid 1st round pick to 6th overall is like 2012 when Lindholm went from being viewed as mid 1st round pick to 6th overall.
Both highly regarded for their defensive side of the game.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So surprised that Zegras fell to 9 since Bergevin had him at 3 (had him at 3 as well).
We`ll see. Even as a Ducks fan I can tell that while Zegras offensive tools are outstanding, he looks 2 years away from the NHL for me, I wonder if teams might have seen him as a slightly longer term project (thus also a little uncertain) than the players taken before him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We`ll see. Even as a Ducks fan I can tell that while Zegras offensive tools are outstanding, he looks 2 years away from the NHL for me, I wonder if teams might have seen him as a slightly longer term project (thus also a little uncertain) than the players taken before him.

That shouldn't matter this high in the draft. If it takes Zegras (or Pod since this applies to him as well) a year longer than his lower-ceiling peers, then why wouldn't you take the bigger talent? Especially for teams needing to rebuild...which most teams picking that highly, are.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I will be in Boston later this year, hopefully a game matches up with my trip.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I think Zegras being rated all over the place a bit has to do with if teams view him as a center or not. Easy to see why teams passed on him if they think hes a winger compared to the guys who went ahead of him being centers

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Creating him in NHL 20.

I'd like to know what potential should I give him?

I put him at ELITE MED.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Had one assist in his debut playing on the top line at C. Do Ducks fans have any more details about his first college outing?

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Had one assist in his debut playing on the top line at C. Do Ducks fans have any more details about his first college outing?
He was good, good forechecking hurt his arm and missed a couple shifts but solid first game. He's gonna be really good he's so damn smart.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
2 assists last night including this one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad