C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I had no clue that he was even called up until I saw him in my Twitter feed, definitely would’ve tried to stay up for a Ducks game
If I knew that. How did his first two games go? Does he look ready enough to stay up for the rest of the season?

He looks ready enough that he could play in the NHL, his teammates do not look ready enough (no finishers).

Seriously though, he can probably play in the NHL, but it's not like he's outgrown the AHL. He can (and given the situation of the team) probably should be sent back down. No reason to get limited minutes on this train wreck of a team, let him go to a more winning culture in San Diego.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Hes looked very good but has been very sheltered. Easily could have a few points with better puck luck, was even originally awarded an assist on the Ducks 2nd goal, which was later redacted from last night . I think he can produce right now and should get some run. The training wheels need to come off, ie he needs to take defensive zone starts at some point. But he's already a weapon on the pp .

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
He's had some D Zone starts and hasn't looked to shabby either. Not going to body people off the puck, yet at least, but he got his fair share of pucks of the zone thanks to his anticipatory IQ.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He looks ready enough that he could play in the NHL, his teammates do not look ready enough (no finishers).

Seriously though, he can probably play in the NHL, but it's not like he's outgrown the AHL. He can (and given the situation of the team) probably should be sent back down. No reason to get limited minutes on this train wreck of a team, let him go to a more winning culture in San Diego.
This is my feeling as well. The only benefit of his presence is the proof that parts of his game are suited for the NHL. Sheltering him from tough assignments takes away from his potential to play top 6 minutes in the AHL. And like you said. It's not like he has no room to grow down there.

Reactions: lwvs84

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This is my feeling as well. The only benefit of his presence is the proof that parts of his game are suited for the NHL. Sheltering him from tough assignments takes away from his potential to play top 6 minutes in the AHL. And like you said. It's not like he has no room to grow down there.

This.

Comtois dominated in the AHL. Zegras hasn't dominated... yet.

His first NHL game was a little rough - second shift shoved hard into the boards (it looked bad) and the shorthand penalty shot was because the puck was poked off his stick, forcing Silfverberg to recover the puck at the blueline and he tossed it to the wrong jersey. He really plays like Jack Hughes now that I've gotten to watch him on the Devils... I don't see a difference between them except Hughes is more physically mature.

Reactions: HanSolo

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He looks exactly like Jack Hughes did last season. Not strong enough but flashes of elite.

Reactions: SmokeyDuck

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He seems to be always talking something when lineing up for draws. :laugh:
Not sure if it is chirping or just casual conversations, but I think I read somewhere that he had some chipyness in him, that sometimes also resulted in a lot of trashtalking. Well, he kind of trashtalked Canadian goalie on national TV before the WJC final :laugh:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Hes looked very good but has been very sheltered. Easily could have a few points with better puck luck, was even originally awarded an assist on the Ducks 2nd goal, which was later redacted from last night . I think he can produce right now and should get some run. The training wheels need to come off, ie he needs to take defensive zone starts at some point. But he's already a weapon on the pp .

young guys being sheltered is quite common. nothing really wrong with that.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Given the sudden surge in icetime makes me wonder if he is not going back to the AHL.

They were down at the end of the game and they put him out there to get some offense. He played like 4 minutes straight at one point.
I still think he would be better top go back to the AHL, but as long as he is getting a lot of ice time in the NHL then it isnt as bad as it could be.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
They were down at the end of the game and they put him out there to get some offense. He played like 4 minutes straight at one point.
I still think he would be better top go back to the AHL, but as long as he is getting a lot of ice time in the NHL then it isnt as bad as it could be.
If they valued him to even be in the ice for that situation for that long, then arguably he shouldn’t go back down. Tough call to struggle with an AHL quality roster in the NHL or be unchallenged in the AHL.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If they valued him to even be in the ice for that situation for that long, then arguably he shouldn’t go back down. Tough call to struggle with an AHL quality roster in the NHL or be unchallenged in the AHL.

If the Ducks want him as a winger... keep him in the NHL then. He wasn't dominating the AHL like Comtois was. He could learn how to be a center at the pro level in the AHL and maybe play on the PK too.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If the Ducks want him as a winger... keep him in the NHL then. He wasn't dominating the AHL like Comtois was. He could learn how to be a center at the pro level in the AHL and maybe play on the PK too.

I 100% agree. This isn’t about him not being NHL capable. It’s about what is best for him long term. The Ducks need him to be a center and that isn’t going to happen if he doesn’t get more AHL time.

Reactions: HanSolo

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Think he could turn out to be a better player than Kakko and Dach and maybe even Hughes. He has so much skill and thinks the game very good to.

IMO Dach is Getzlaf 2.0... his vision and ability to protect the puck are similar. I predict Dach wins an Hart or Art Ross.

Zegras could be 2nd or 3rd best forward in the 2019 draft. Very certain top-5.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
IMO Dach is Getzlaf 2.0... his vision and ability to protect the puck are similar. I predict Dach wins an Hart or Art Ross.

Zegras could be 2nd or 3rd best forward in the 2019 draft. Very certain top-5.

He's played 5 games and still doesn't have a goal. Overrated???

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Think he could turn out to be a better player than Kakko and Dach and maybe even Hughes. He has so much skill and thinks the game very good to.

Agreed. I felt that way even at the draft. And the way Zegras plays I think he could play for much longer than the rest of his draft class. I think 10 years from now 2019 will actually end up looking like a great draft. A couple weird picks in the middle of the 1st, but we are already seeing gems out of the 2nd round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad