C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA) Part 2

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Maybe I should have said “most”. I’m excited to see him but I am worried about f***ing it up and I don’t see the upside in bringing him up.

That's how I feel as well. Ducks need a big shake up. I hope he ends up playing with Rakell, think it's one of the better options for him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's a dumb move. Should have kept him in the AHL, then brought him up for the last 3-5 games of the season. It's much better for prospects to make a single progression through leagues rather than see-saw back and forth between AHL and NHL.

If things go the way I think they will, I wouldn't expect to see him back in the AHL any time soon.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Excited to see this guy called up. He should be put in immediate position to succeed, imo.

I think if he adapts to physicality of NHL game from the start, wouldn't surprise me to see him in top 5 of calder voting or higher.

Oct 18, 2011
He looks amazing honestly. Puck battles not all that relevant if you always have the puck. How do you send back your best player?
I rather see him continue developing with the Gulls, the ducks are an absolute mess and he's not going to change this team's season. I don't mind giving him a taste of the league so he can feel what the speed is like but there is no need to rush him

Reactions: Kalv and HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Obviously he didn't have an all timer of a debut but he showed his IQ and instincts can translate at a star level when he's developed.

Personally I think he needs to add more bulk and a bit more speed and it would probably work better for his confidence if he was playing on a winning team rather than an outright disaster in Anaheim. Give him a couple more games but send him down. It's not the right time and he still has room to grow.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Personally I think he needs to add more bulk and a bit more speed and it would probably work better for his confidence if he was playing on a winning team rather than an outright disaster in Anaheim. Give him a couple more games but send him down. It's not the right time and he still has room to grow.

I'll disagree here.

I think it really depends on the player that you're talking about and the situation at hand.

Zegras is a player who is certainly not lacking in confidence; he has it in spades. If he struggles with consistency and if the Ducks aren't winning, I don't think that's going to shatter that confidence.

If the AHL was actually having a playoffs, I might agree with you. I think back to what Philadelphia did with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter many years ago, getting them in a deep playoff run in the AHL following the conclusion of their OHL seasons. It was massive for their development. But without that opportunity to play playoff hockey, is Zegras really going to benefit from putting up gaudy numbers in the AHL against, quite frankly, many watered down rosters (due to taxi squads)?

Zegras is a kid who has won at every stage of his career and has always been a part of winning teams. Be it the USDP program. BU. The World Juniors this year. Maybe the best thing for his development is to face some adversity and to see how he copes with it? Let him learn to play through traffic at the NHL level. Let him figure out how to be more defensively responsible. Let him continue to work his magic on the powerplay. If consistency isn't there, who cares? It would then give him a chance to see what he needs to work on next offseason so that he can come back even better. Quite frankly, I'm not sure that the AHL would give him that sort of feedback at this point.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'll disagree here.

I think it really depends on the player that you're talking about and the situation at hand.

Zegras is a player who is certainly not lacking in confidence; he has it in spades. If he struggles with consistency and if the Ducks aren't winning, I don't think that's going to shatter that confidence.

If the AHL was actually having a playoffs, I might agree with you. I think back to what Philadelphia did with Mike Richards and Jeff Carter many years ago, getting them in a deep playoff run in the AHL following the conclusion of their OHL seasons. It was massive for their development. But without that opportunity to play playoff hockey, is Zegras really going to benefit from putting up gaudy numbers in the AHL against, quite frankly, many watered down rosters (due to taxi squads)?

Zegras is a kid who has won at every stage of his career and has always been a part of winning teams. Be it the USDP program. BU. The World Juniors this year. Maybe the best thing for his development is to face some adversity and to see how he copes with it? Let him learn to play through traffic at the NHL level. Let him figure out how to be more defensively responsible. Let him continue to work his magic on the powerplay. If consistency isn't there, who cares? It would then give him a chance to see what he needs to work on next offseason so that he can come back even better. Quite frankly, I'm not sure that the AHL would give him that sort of feedback at this point.
With the NHL season being shortened and Ducks being in the situation they’re at, i think giving him a full AHL year and not burning a year out of his ELC is the much better choice. Take the time to develope his all-around game so he will feel even more comfortable in the NHL, then he can focus more on shaping his style and strenghts to the NHL hockey right from the start of the next season.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
This team f***ing sucks. Please send him back to San Diego we got him paired with 2 wingers that can't even comprehend things he is doing.

Reactions: lwvs84

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
Odd they took away his assist. Could have swore it was clean.

Looked good again. One of the worst NHL teams I can remember though.

Reactions: Realgud

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I had no clue that he was even called up until I saw him in my Twitter feed, definitely would’ve tried to stay up for a Ducks game
If I knew that. How did his first two games go? Does he look ready enough to stay up for the rest of the season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad