C Thomas Bordeleau - Barracuda, AHL(2020, 38th, SJS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Those are preseason games.

Bordeleau is now listed at 5'10 this year as opposed to 5'9 last year. It doesn't make a real difference because he's a good hockey player, but in NHL circles it does for draft position.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Those are preseason games.

Bordeleau is now listed at 5'10 this year as opposed to 5'9 last year. It doesn't make a real difference because he's a good hockey player, but in NHL circles it does for draft position.

Eliteprospects.com and on USAHOCKEY NTDP site says otherwise.

24-9-2019 18-51-13.jpg

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
U18s played preseason game vs Muskegon. Preseason games should not count for stats IMO.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Where does it say preseason? And why it says regular season 2019-20 in the official USA hockey website???

September 26th – 29th – Regular Season begins at the 2019 USHL Fall Classic in Pittsburgh, PA

U18 played Muskegon last weekend as a preseason game.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Just wait until we have to swallow Brad Lambert.

Off topic however Bordeleau speaks excellent French for an American. ;)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Four points in the first two games of the season. I would not rule out that Bordeleau could be a top 10-15 pick. He's now 5'10, so his height isn't going to be criticized as much, and he has a lot of talent. He's an excellent skater, playmaker and has very good puck skills. He also plays a good 200 foot game at center, and while he might move off the position eventually, like Clayton Keller did, he has versatility to play the position and can play it well defensively.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Once again this season, he's the best forward on his team. For some reason, most people don't project him as a first round pick. I don't understand it. He doesn't have any major weaknesses. Maybe you could say he's slightly undersized, but he's a great skater and has a great work ethic, so he mitigates that, and he's incredibly skilled. He has definite 1st line upside.

He has 12 points in 11 games this season. Comparing him to the players on last year's 18's would be a terrible comparison because that team regularly scored over 10 goals per game, and his team doesn't do that. They are one of the least talented NTDP crops in years. I think he suffers from coming around in the wrong year. Over 1PPG on this team is a big accomplishment.

A good comparison for this year's 18's might be to the the 2016-17 18's that didn't have many high profile draft eligible players either, similar to this team. That season, no one averaged above 1PPG. The best was Josh Norris with 61 points in 61 games. Among the notables were Brady Tkachuk with 54 in 61, Quinn Hughes with 53 in 565, Evan Barratt with 56 in 63 and Grant Mismash with 61 in 65.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Always liked him, he’s smart, great skater and just a natural scorer I find. Was a little undersized though, I understand the move to go to the NTDP, but was very surprised. Glad to see he’s progressing well, don’t know him but Seb the dad is a very nice person.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He had three assists last night against University of Michigan. He leads the team in goals, assists, points and shots. He had 28 more shots than second place on the team, and he's not even a volume shooter. I think he's by far the best forward on the team having seen this team play a lot over the last two seasons. He only has 34 points in 35 games, but that's because the team is not very talented this year. He'd have a lot more points if his team had more offensive talent.

This guy is very underrated. I can't understand when I see lists that don't list him in the first round, and I think he should have a real good chance to be picked in the middle of the first round. The stats might not look great, but they are the best on his team, and he's good in all facets of the game.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He should absolutely be taken in the 1st round. Some of the USNTDP are under the radar - maybe because of the class before them being so hyped but Bordeleau is an impressive two way player putting up very solid stats vs top NCAA programs. You have Dylan Holloway seemingly locked into the mid first and Bordeleau not mentioned despite our performing him stat wise in way less games while playing center.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Always liked his game, certainly a first rounder in my books.

Interesting that, what appear to be the consensus top American skaters for this class, have Canadian parents and/or played their minor hockey in Canada (Bordeleau, Sanderson, Peterson, Brisson, etc).

Reactions: Dominance

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Always liked his game, certainly a first rounder in my books.

Interesting that, what appear to be the consensus top American skaters for this class, have Canadian parents and/or played their minor hockey in Canada (Bordeleau, Sanderson, Peterson, Brisson, etc).

This has been mentioned before. In my opinion, Bordeleau, Sanderson and Brisson are probably the only Americans worth drafting in the first round.

The only thing I'd disagree with is that Peterson is not one of the best American skaters in this class, unless you are talking about skating as opposed to skater, as in forward or defenseman. He skates great, but he's not that good aside from that.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Once again this season, he's the best forward on his team. For some reason, most people don't project him as a first round pick. I don't understand it. He doesn't have any major weaknesses. Maybe you could say he's slightly undersized, but he's a great skater and has a great work ethic, so he mitigates that, and he's incredibly skilled. He has definite 1st line upside.

He has 12 points in 11 games this season. Comparing him to the players on last year's 18's would be a terrible comparison because that team regularly scored over 10 goals per game, and his team doesn't do that. They are one of the least talented NTDP crops in years. I think he suffers from coming around in the wrong year. Over 1PPG on this team is a big accomplishment.

A good comparison for this year's 18's might be to the the 2016-17 18's that didn't have many high profile draft eligible players either, similar to this team. That season, no one averaged above 1PPG. The best was Josh Norris with 61 points in 61 games. Among the notables were Brady Tkachuk with 54 in 61, Quinn Hughes with 53 in 565, Evan Barratt with 56 in 63 and Grant Mismash with 61 in 65.

He kind of reminds me (not in playing style but projection for a pro career) as a guy like Claude Giroux who dropped to 22nd in the 06 draft, which wasn't a very strong one and now people look back and ask why he went 22nd.

Now while I think the 20 draft is going to be miles better than the 20 draft there are going to be a couple of players picked before Bordeleau that will look like head scratchers pretty quickly IMO.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Thomas Bordeleau led the US NTDP Under-18 in scoring this season. He put up 16 goals and 30 assists for 46 points in 47 games. This was an improvement on his season with the Under-17 team, where he had 16 goals and 23 assists for 39 points in 53 games in 2018-19. Bordeleau played for the U.S. team at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He scored four assists in five tournament games. Bordeleau is committed to playing hockey at the University of Michigan next season. Should he change his mind and go the CHL route, his rights are owned by the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, who drafted him in the 5th round of the 2018 QMJHL Draft.

Bordeleau comes from excellent hockey bloodlines. His grandfather, Paulin Bordeleau played 183 NHL games and 234 WHA games in the 1970s before playing pro hockey in France. He followed that up with a long coaching career. His father, Sebastien Bordeleau was a third-round pick of the Montreal Canadiens in 1993. He played 251 NHL games, had a pro career in Europe, and has also gone on to coaching. He is currently a development coach with the Nashville Predators.

Here is our scouting report

Thomas Bordeleau Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #37

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->