C Thomas Bordeleau - Barracuda, AHL(2020, 38th, SJS)

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Leading scorer on the NTDP 17's so far this season. He's the most skilled player on the team. He's out of that Hughes, Keller, Zegras mold of forward. Doesn't look to be anywhere near as good as Hughes, but could fall somewhere within the Keller/Zegras mold. Listed at 5'9 172. Looks about right. Plays center. Might have to move off the position eventually, although nothing pressing there right now. I think he's a likely first rounder. The draft upside is probably something around where Keller went, and the downside is he's an early second because he's skilled but doesn't put up big enough point totals and some teams downgrade him based on size.

Thomas Bordeleau at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Got the hockey bloodlines.. Paulin Bordeleau's grandson, Sebastian Bordeleau's son. Christian , Paulin's brother also played in the NHL

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
He went from the Quebec minor hockey system to the NTDP, seems like a weird transition.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Sigh...another American superstar with a Canadian father/background.
He went from the Quebec minor hockey system to the NTDP, seems like a weird transition.
I don’t know why, but I don’t like American-born Canadian talent going over the border just to take advantage of the NTDP because their father played pro hockey in the States. Thomas lived in the U.S. for one year (2001-2002) until his dad went to play in Switzerland. Then he moved back to Quebec in 2013.

Bordeleau is french canadian, developed in the AAA Quebec system all the way to Midget but because he was born in Houston he’ll now play for Hockey USA the rest of his career I guess? Sounds like some bullshit to me.

Heck, he’s more Swiss than he is American technically.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t know why, but I don’t like American- born Canadian talent going over the border just to take advantage of the NTDP because their father played pro hockey in the States. Thomas lived in the U.S. for one year (2001-2002) until his dad went to play in Switzerland. Then he moved back to Quebec in 2013.

Bordeleau is french canadian, developed in the AAA Quebec system all the way to Midget but because he was born in Houston he’ll now play for Hockey USA the rest of his career I guess? Sounds like some bull**** to me.

How would you know what he identifies as? Do you know him? How do you know where he lived at all these ages?

Besides, why is the NTDP so great? Why not play in the Q? Maybe he just wants to play for the USA. I don’t actually know, but what you are claiming seems far-fetched.

I totally get that it’s annoying that so many Canadian roots kids play for the USA because their father played hockey in the USA, but I don’t understand the individual complaints. There were people complaining about Hughes playing for the NTDP coming from Toronto. That of course left out that both of his parents are American, he lived in the USA for most of his life, and that he was only in Toronto for his father’s work.

Unless someone has personal insight on these situations, it seems ridiculous to be complaining about certain players deciding they want to play for the USA. They made these choices themselves. Do we really want players to play for our countries out of a rules requirement instead of their personal identity? If this guy felt closer to his Canadian roots, I’d have zero issue with him playing for Canada. It’s his life. Who are any of us to say what is best for him?

Last edited:

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
How would you know what he identifies as? Do you know him? How do you know where he lived at all these ages?

Besides, why is the NTDP so great? Why not play in the Q? Maybe he just wants to play for the USA. I don’t actually know, but what you are claiming seems far-fetched.

I totally get that it’s annoying that so many Canadian roots kids play for the USA because their father played hockey in the USA, but I don’t understand the individual complaints. There were people complaining about Hughes playing for the NTDP coming from Toronto. That of course left out that both of his parents are American, he lived in the USA for most of his life, and that he was only in Toronto for his father’s work.

Unless someone has personal insight on these situations, it seems ridiculous to be complaining about certain players deciding they want to play for the USA. They made these choices themselves. Do we really want players to play for our countries out of a rules requirement instead of their personal identity? If this guy felt closer to his Canadian roots, I’d have zero issue with him playing for Canada. It’s his life. Who are any of us to say what is best for him?

I have absolutely no issue with him going to the NTDP, if he wants to play in the NCAA (which I’d say he does) then this was the best route for his development the next 2 seasons.

I wish there was some sort of option for the Canadian kids that want to play NCAA instead of having them scattered across Jr. A leagues all throughout North America. Would it stop a guy like Bordeleau from going to play for the USNTDP? Maybe, maybe not and it really doesn’t matter but I’d like to see that option at least exist.

We’ll never see it because the CHL is the choice they want these kids to make but you might see a guy like Bordeleau stick around if it was an option.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal

I mean, I don’t see how you can identify more as American when you lived the first year of your life there. It’s easy to see where Thomas lived throughout the years, just look at this dad’s career path. He grew up in Switzerland then spent his teenage years in Quebec. How American...

My complaint is that it’s basically a cheat code to get to a more renowned program for some of these kids. I have no issue in Canadians going the NCAA route via Junior A, but Bordeleau should have no business being there based on his background (obviously he deserves to be there based on his skill).

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
I mean, I don’t see how you can identify more as American when you lived the first year of your life there. It’s easy to see where Thomas lived throughout the years, just look at this dad’s career path. He grew up in Switzerland then spent his teenage years in Quebec. How American...

My complaint is that it’s basically a cheat code to get to a more renowned program for some of these kids. I have no issue in Canadians going the NCAA route via Junior A, but Bordeleau should have no business being there based on his background (obviously he deserves to be there based on his skill).

Its not a cheat code - its a citizenship code. If you have American citizenship then you can play for USNDT. Pretty simple. Tons of kids have dual citizenship and every year use it to try to better their odds to make the US and Canadian teams.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Well said.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don’t know why, but I don’t like American-born Canadian talent going over the border just to take advantage of the NTDP because their father played pro hockey in the States. Thomas lived in the U.S. for one year (2001-2002) until his dad went to play in Switzerland. Then he moved back to Quebec in 2013.

Bordeleau is french canadian, developed in the AAA Quebec system all the way to Midget but because he was born in Houston he’ll now play for Hockey USA the rest of his career I guess? Sounds like some bull**** to me.

please explain Tyler Myers and Jakob Chychrun then.....

Reactions: Atticus Finch

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
please explain Tyler Myers and Jakob Chychrun then.....
Thats TWO guys versus how many the other way? we must be approaching like one hundred or so now , and even Chycrun's father was Canadian, not to mention Myers development was mostly in Canada but I will still give it to you that Myers is really American and that is the banner he should be playing under,Chycrun also but he does have an ex N.H.L playing Canuck dad.

I am not saying these kids can't play where they want to play but I think you can understand the frustration some of us have, it's depressing. Just take a minute and picture this working the other way, I don't think you would be pleased.

Hey, it's the reality of having most of the teams in the league in the U.S and a fella needs to accept it but it's disheartening know what I mean?

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Chychrun started playing hockey in his home state of Florida with the Junior Everblades and the Florida Jr. Panthers organizations. When Chychrun was 13, he joined the Little Caesars hockey organization in Detroit, Michigan, where he played very well during his major bantam season. At the time, he continued living and practising in Florida, travelling to Michigan on the weekends to play. The following season he remained with Little Caesars, playing for their U16 team.[8]
In 2013, Chychrun was drafted by the Youngstown Phantoms in the USHL draft. USA Hockey had implemented a rule requiring 15-year-old players to receive a special exemption to play junior hockey. Chychrun applied for one but was denied.[9] Instead, Chychrun moved to Toronto and played his minor midget season for the Toronto Jr. Canadiens in the Greater Toronto Hockey League. Chychrun competed with Team Ontario at the 2014 World U-17 Hockey Challenge where he scored four points in five games.

Hmmm.....so moving to Toronto when you are 15 years old allows you to play for Team Ontario and for Team Canada in the World Juniors?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Thats TWO guys versus how many the other way? we must be approaching like one hundred or so now , and even Chycrun's father was Canadian, not to mention Myers development was mostly in Canada but I will still give it to you that Myers is really American and that is the banner he should be playing under,Chycrun also but he does have an ex N.H.L playing Canuck dad.

I am not saying these kids can't play where they want to play but I think you can understand the frustration some of us have, it's depressing. Just take a minute and picture this working the other way, I don't think you would be pleased.

Hey, it's the reality of having most of the teams in the league in the U.S and a fella needs to accept it but it's disheartening know what I mean?

it actually isn't, and of late the US has been losing more and more players than gaining them.. just look at Cal and Nolan Foote - two more born and raised in the US but somehow representing Canada...and Sean Day was almost another lost soul same with Logan Brown..

my point is this is happening both ways, but call out the ones going to Canada as well, it is far more than some people think or believe on here.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
read the post I replied to and then try again....
The issues he listed with Bordeleau’s decision, which I share, are that he is going to play for America despite his father being Canadian and having barely lived, much less played, in the US.

Myers was born in the US, but lived in Canada for essentially his entire childhood and played ALL of his youth hockey here. Way different.

Chychrun is closer, with a situation more similar to Jack Hughes. He was born in the US and played there for a time but had Canadian parents and played here for a significant period of time.

Reactions: schnapshot

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The issues he listed with Bordeleau’s decision, which I share, are that he is going to play for America despite his father being Canadian and having barely lived, much less played, in the US.

Myers was born in the US, but lived in Canada for essentially his entire childhood and played ALL of his youth hockey here. Way different.

Chychrun is closer, with a situation more similar to Jack Hughes. He was born in the US and played there for a time but had Canadian parents and played here for a significant period of time.
again, you are making excuses and minimizing the others...Myers lived in the USA until he was 8, but now essentially lived in Canada his childhood?? lol...

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
it actually isn't, and of late the US has been losing more and more players than gaining them.. just look at Cal and Nolan Foote - two more born and raised in the US but somehow representing Canada...and Sean Day was almost another lost soul same with Logan Brown..

my point is this is happening both ways, but call out the ones going to Canada as well, it is far more than some people think or believe on here.
You're losing more then you are gaining? seriously?

nolan and cal Foote?...............again those are kids of Canadian players,Logan brown too.

I like your posts and respect you but I think you are not seeing or being straight about the realities here.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You're losing more then you are gaining? seriously?

nolan and cal Foote?...............again those are kids of Canadian players,Logan brown too.

I like your posts and respect you but I think you are not seeing or being straight about the realities here.
I am not sure you are understanding the discussion here. These are players born and raised in the US, I don't care who their father is. These players are trained in US programs, resources spent on them including attending US camps and festivals.. The US is losing players just like Canada does, people are completely ignoring it and just want to bitch one way over the other.

Call them all out if you are going to take a stance and not just one way...

And isn't Bordeleau's mom American as well???

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I also always ask this -

Make a list of all the payers that were born in Canada, played in Canada but represented the US because of citizenship in the last 10 years???

Then, make another list of all the US born players of Canadian hockey fathers in the past 10 years....make both lists and look them over, you will come away surprised with how it isn't nearly what you think it is in terms of quality players in the NHL.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I am not sure you are understanding the discussion here. These are players born and raised in the US, I don't care who their father is. These players are trained in US programs, resources spent on them including attending US camps and festivals.. The US is losing players just like Canada does, people are completely ignoring it and just want to ***** one way over the other.

Call them all out if you are going to take a stance and not just one way...

And isn't Bordeleau's mom American as well???
I get that a lot of those players are growing up developing in the U.S system and with those resources but thats not the point we are getting at, we are saying they are all kids of Canadian hockey playing dads, thats the point, and the U.S benefits from this far more then the other way around. I mean, name me the last American players kid who played for Canada? And now even with American players in far greater numbers then ever before and with better players then ever before playing their careers in Canada their kids aren't going to end up playing for Canada in the future, thats a pipe dream because all those players take off back to the U.S and make their home there the second the n.h.l season is over.The Canadian players are exactly different, most of them stay in the U.S. And as far as them having American moms well lets face facts, they aren't getting their hockey playing ability from Darlene.

And don't get me wrong, that makes me angry at all those Canadian players
not at the U.S program.

The U.S makes out like bandits and we all know it.

Now that's fair game and kids can play where they want to play but you've got to understand some of our fans frustration at the "trade imbalance" here so to speak.

It makes ya feel like the plain jane girl at school who loses all the guys to the beautiful prom queen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->