C Shane Gersich - Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA (2014, 134th, WSH)

651*

Anyone heard of this kid? Dad was a D1 player for the U of M Gophers and his mom is sister of NHLers Aaron and Neal Broten. Heck, he even looks like a Broten:

http://www.kare11.com/sports/athlete-of-the-week/article/950005/8/Shane-Gersich---Holy-Family

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/665618?subseason=46241

Has 9 goals and 5 assists in 3 games, and had a 4 goal gamer against perennial powerhouse AHA just last week - and he's only a freshman. I would watch out for this kid with great interest. One of the best to come out of MN in some time possibly.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I can't imagine many people have heard about him or seen him, Holy Family being a relatively new program with little to no success. 4 goals on a single A team against Holy Angels in a down year though isn't that much to be hyped about, granted I've never seen the kid. Not to downplay his start but talk to me when he continues this success against real teams and shows he is even close to being considered an NHL prospect. Schroeder was the best player I have ever seen in terms of a single A freshman for St. Thomas and it took 2 amazing state tournaments as an 8th grader and Freshman before he was even considered a legitimate prospect.

edit: that came out to be really harsh, I just think this is the kind of topic that would gather much better responses on a different board like the ushso forums where people have actually had a look at his short career. No offense to you or this young man.

651*

I can't imagine many people have heard about him or seen him, Holy Family being a relatively new program with little to no success. 4 goals on a single A team against Holy Angels in a down year though isn't that much to be hyped about, granted I've never seen the kid. Not to downplay his start but talk to me when he continues this success against real teams and shows he is even close to being considered an NHL prospect. Schroeder was the best player I have ever seen in terms of a single A freshman for St. Thomas and it took 2 amazing state tournaments as an 8th grader and Freshman before he was even considered a legitimate prospect.

edit: that came out to be really harsh, I just think this is the kind of topic that would gather much better responses on a different board like the ushso forums where people have actually had a look at his short career. No offense to you or this young man.

We're already talking about him on the USHSO forums. I brought info on him here to enlighten folks.

And FYI, Holy Family apparently moved up to AA in Section 6, the toughest section in the state (and of course the country because we know outside of MN HS hockey is a joke).

He put up 40+ points last year as an 8th grader, FWIW.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
We're already talking about him on the USHSO forums. I brought info on him here to enlighten folks.

And FYI, Holy Family apparently moved up to AA in Section 6, the toughest section in the state (and of course the country because we know outside of MN HS hockey is a joke).

He put up 40+ points last year as an 8th grader, FWIW.

Ah I have been away from following them for the past few years as I've been out of state, glad to see they made the breakaway smoothly and have gotten an apparently awesome recruit. As a BSM alum and former EP resident I can't wish them much luck but I guess I will have to check him out when I visit this winter. Thanks for the info and sorry for being so critical in that first post. I've seen my fair share of hyped 8th graders and 9th graders that have gone onto careers outside of hockey but hopefully he can keep it up and follow in the footsteps of guys like Schroeder and Kristo and have a bright future.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He's on the USA Team for the upcoming Youth Olympics in Austria. Should be a decent measuring stick for him and some of the other touted '96s. Here's was USHR said about him at this past summer's Select 15 Camp:

8. Shane Gersich (#12 Red) 5-11/163 – 3-4-7 – Really good hands and a keen sense of the game. Is strong on the puck, and has a nice shot -- really snaps it off. Plays for Holy Family Catholic High School in Victoria, Minn. The school, which is about 25 miles southwest of Minneapolis), is moving from A to AA this season, at least in part because of the presence of Gersich.

651*

Ah I have been away from following them for the past few years as I've been out of state, glad to see they made the breakaway smoothly and have gotten an apparently awesome recruit. As a BSM alum and former EP resident I can't wish them much luck but I guess I will have to check him out when I visit this winter. Thanks for the info and sorry for being so critical in that first post. I've seen my fair share of hyped 8th graders and 9th graders that have gone onto careers outside of hockey but hopefully he can keep it up and follow in the footsteps of guys like Schroeder and Kristo and have a bright future.

No problem. His size seems good (170 something and 5'-11") but you are right, there are plenty of kids in the graveyard of "could have been" we all wish could have had great careers. Actually at the moment my eyes are on a Johnson kid (Jay Dickman) who led his elite league team in scoring this past Fall who will either go on to DI or USHL next year. He is 6'-5" and a great athlete - the last Governor who will ever go on to big things as the program will likely be dead in the next few years.

This Gersich kid though has some serious bloodlines which is always a good thing.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Actually at the moment my eyes are on a Johnson kid (Jay Dickman) who led his elite league team in scoring this past Fall who will either go on to DI or USHL next year. He is 6'-5" and a great athlete - the last Governor who will ever go on to big things as the program will likely be dead in the next few years.

Great athlete might be a bit of an overstatement here.

651*

Just saw in the paper that BSM beat AHA 15-2. Ugh. :shakehead

Great athlete might be a bit of an overstatement here.

Like I said he did lead his elite team in scores over the Summer. That's never a bad thing.

North Country

Oct 24, 2012
Here is Shane's profile on the minnesota hockey hub!

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/roster_players/665618

2011-2012 stats - 21 games played 30 goals 30 assists 60 points

Shane put up tremendous numbers as a freshman

Let me know what you think!

Is Shane a future first rounder in the 2014 NHL Draft?

Probably looked at as a top 20 right now, but should move higher as we get closer to the 2014 draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess he flew the coup and is no longer playing for HF.

http://www.usantdp.com/roster_players/3178134

he played with Omaha in the USHL at the end of last year. He has been with the USNDP the entire year this season.

I really like him as a player, and he probably is getting a bit lost in the crowd especially with Milano, Larkin, and Tuch getting a lot of attention right now, but he can still make a case for being a top prospect and player. I am hoping for a solid u18 tournament which hopefully can help put more spotlight on him. He seems to be getting ranked late 2nd to mid 3rd in most mocks and scouting services. I was hoping for a high end second round pick which I think is a possibility.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Sooo what happened to him, why didn't he get drafted? Was being talked about as the best 96 in the state of Minnesota not long ago, had a pretty good season with the NTDP u18 team and did unreal at the NHL combine, so what gives?

He was drafted 134th overall by Washington.

He has the tools but the question is did his development level off or did going to the NTDP hurt him because he was stuck behind Eichel, Milano, Tuch, Larkin, Hitchcock, etc?

He was definitely a great value pick where he went.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I went through a list of drafted Americans and somehow missed his name, with me being tired as heck didn't think to google if he'd been drafted or not lol embarassing...anyways, I was still surprised that he lasted that long as I thought he would have went in the top 60 or at least 90 picks.

usascout1

Nov 2, 2012
He was drafted 134th overall by Washington.

He has the tools but the question is did his development level off or did going to the NTDP hurt him because he was stuck behind Eichel, Milano, Tuch, Larkin, Hitchcock, etc?

He was definitely a great value pick where he went.

He has the tools and is a great kid but this past season what hurt him was his hockey IQ. IMO that's what scouts saw to be the problem. Nothing to do with playing behind Eichel or Larkin. He physically could have played wing on one of those lines but he needs to work on how he thinks the game.

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Gersich is having a highly underrated year, despite the fact he's lighting it up in a very tough conference.

Dude's been fantastic this year, I've only seen one game but stat wise I'm impressed. Can't wait to see him in Hershey and how it translates to the pro game.:handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad