C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2018, 76th, TOR)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
I argued he was a reach when he was drafted and I maintain that position now.

The difference between SDA and Marner is that Marner has shown an ability to overcome his size and strength deficiencies whereas SDA hasn’t. If this kid doesn’t add 25 lbs of muscle he’ll never make it.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

The difference between SDA and Marner is that Marner has shown an ability to overcome his size and strength deficiencies whereas SDA hasn’t. If this kid doesn’t add 25 lbs of muscle he’ll never make it.

That's the difference between the two? What about Marner drafted 4th OA vs 76th OA for SDA. Don't really think he can be considered a "reach" when drafted where he went.

He's a project prospect, just like every other 3rd rounder out there. Really doesn't make sense to compare him to Marner, of course his way less of a sure thing.

Reactions: FishManSam

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
That's the difference between the two? What about Marner drafted 4th OA vs 76th OA for SDA. Don't really think he can be considered a "reach" when drafted where he went.

He's a project prospect, just like every other 3rd rounder out there. Really doesn't make sense to compare him to Marner, of course his way less of a sure thing.

Dylan Strome was supposed to be a sure thing too and look how that turned out.

4th overall or 76th overall my point stands.

There were better players at 76 btw.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

To be honest, I don't even know what your point is. You're comparing SDA to top 5 picks. That makes no sense. You can't compare 3rd/4th OA picks to 76th OA picks, expectations are completely different. Strome was a bad pick because he was a 3rd OA pick, and expectations at that point are that you have a very very good chance at a good player.

3rd OA picks from the last 10 years:
Kotkaniemi
Heiskanen
Dubois
Strome
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Gudbranson
Duchene

76th OA picks from the last 10 years:
SDA
Alexei Lipanov
Rem Pitlick
Adin Hill
Elvis Merzilkins
Taylor Cammarata
Chris Driedger
Logan Shaw
Jakub Culek
Igor Bobkov

So if SDA doesn't make the NHL, he'll be in the exact same boat as 8/9 of the previous 76th OA picks. If you could pick sure-fire NHLers with a 76th OA pick, you'd be by far the best scout in the NHL.

As long as SDA is generally trending well, and not noticeably below the majority of other players picked in his range, he's not a reach. He doesn't need to be the absolute best player available out of the remaining 100+ picks in the draft to be a decent pick.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He's the youngest player from that draft.

He honestly deserves 2 years until he gets criticized
Not according to some here who have been watching him since he was 3 months of age. :sarcasm:

This kid showed well at the prospects tourney and training camp for the buds and earned himself a contract that would help alleviate some financial burdens on the kid and help him access services that will help him grow as a hockey player and person.

I don't know how anyone with half a brain cell can realistically critique a guy who at the moment counted on by almost no body to become a player in the future. He's a valuable asset that may turn out for us similar to guys like AJ, Brown, Leivo etc. But that's a long ways away still and most of these guys got shit on by opposing fan bases for Leafs fans hyping then as young players out of the draft.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
To be honest, I don't even know what your point is. You're comparing SDA to top 5 picks. That makes no sense. You can't compare 3rd/4th OA picks to 76th OA picks, expectations are completely different. Strome was a bad pick because he was a 3rd OA pick, and expectations at that point are that you have a very very good chance at a good player.

3rd OA picks from the last 10 years:
Kotkaniemi
Heiskanen
Dubois
Strome
Draisaitl
Drouin
Galchenyuk
Huberdeau
Gudbranson
Duchene

76th OA picks from the last 10 years:
SDA
Alexei Lipanov
Rem Pitlick
Adin Hill
Elvis Merzilkins
Taylor Cammarata
Chris Driedger
Logan Shaw
Jakub Culek
Igor Bobkov

So if SDA doesn't make the NHL, he'll be in the exact same boat as 8/9 of the previous 76th OA picks. If you could pick sure-fire NHLers with a 76th OA pick, you'd be by far the best scout in the NHL.

As long as SDA is generally trending well, and not noticeably below the majority of other players picked in his range, he's not a reach. He doesn't need to be the absolute best player available out of the remaining 100+ picks in the draft to be a decent pick.

Marner was 4th OV so I'd be curious at the same comparison list between 4th and 76th.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

So many things wrong, in just two posts. Hilarious !

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Buuuuust. Why Dubas thought we needed another small right wing is beyond me.

So Hunter and Lou decided the Leafs needed hulking Dmen at the draft that were never even offered contracts two year later. In determining whether a player is an NHLer or not, seemingly size doesn't matter.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
14 points in 5 games seems pretty good

Last year was disappointing but the kid just turned 19 and looks primed to breakout now that he and Robertson are working so well together

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad