C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2018, 76th, TOR)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Seems like a bit of a long term project which is fine. From limited viewings, he has some high end skill.

Any chance he competes for Russia internationally in the near future?

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
If he was born two days later, I would say he'd easily be a top 60 pick in the 2019 draft.

His skill level is phenomenal.

Really stoked about the Maple Leafs drafting him.

LaymanX

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Quick comparison to Marner (as everyone seems to compare the two)

Marner (17) 63 gp 44 goals, 82 assists, 126 points on a stacked Knights (OHL) team
SDA (17) 68 gp 12 goals, 39 assists, 51 points on a bottom dwelling Petes (OHL) team

As a Leafs fan, always welcoming an influx of skill into the pipeline, but definitely tempering expectations.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Let’s remember how insane those London Knights were.

Not that I’m standing for this comparison but he was the ace for the Petes.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Quick comparison to Marner (as everyone seems to compare the two)

Marner (17) 63 gp 44 goals, 82 assists, 126 points on a stacked Knights (OHL) team
SDA (17) 68 gp 12 goals, 39 assists, 51 points on a bottom dwelling Petes (OHL) team

As a Leafs fan, always welcoming an influx of skill into the pipeline, but definitely tempering expectations.

His draft position relative to Marner should have tempered those expectations.

They are both smaller playmakers with excellent stickhandling, but that's where the comparisons end. SDA is nowhere near the skater, defender, hard worker, goal scorer, etc. But he is still so young and on a bad team, so he certainly has more to give than what he's shown so far.

I really like the pick for that spot, but there's big odds against him ever making an impact. I am looking forward to following him this year though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
His draft position relative to Marner should have tempered those expectations.

They are both smaller playmakers with excellent stickhandling, but that's where the comparisons end. SDA is nowhere near the skater, defender, hard worker, goal scorer, etc. But he is still so young and on a bad team, so he certainly has more to give than what he's shown so far.

I really like the pick for that spot, but there's big odds against him ever making an impact. I am looking forward to following him this year though.

He was also the youngest possible player in this past year's draft, so this upcoming season is essentially his draft year. He won't even be a NHL consideration though until at least 2020 though.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He was probably Toronto's best player in the first game from the parts I saw. He's drawn a couple penalties too, which might become a habit with how shifty he can be.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Surprised by how good this kid is.

Wasn't expecting much from him when the Leafs drafted him.

He has a long road ahead of him but he has as much potential as anyone drafted outside of the first round. Obviously he could bust but still a good pick by the Leafs regardless, imo.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
The one big positive in my mind is he was engaging physically a lot more in the rookie tournament compared to the post draft scrimmages. While I didn't catch the 2nd game I noticed he was playing defensively and back checking quite a bit better than in early July.

Kind of gives me the sense he might have a really good year. He was quite a bit more active than Marner was in his first rookie tournament. even though his flaws are obvious you still see a strong foundation to build off of.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Are you keeping in mind that he was a day or so away from be eligible for next year's draft? He was literally one of the youngest players drafted.

Even as we speak he is still 17. He just looked the best on a team with 2 players which are nearly NHL ready. (Bracco and Grundstrom)

Like... that kind of warrants a bit of hype.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I will admit, the kid has a lot of potential. Really shifty, good IQ, loves the passing game, seems to want that 200ft game. He could be a real good pick down the road. For where we picked him, and with him being the youngest player drafted, it could be a gem.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
You got a good one here. I was really hoping the Habs would get him. He's gonna be goood.
Maybe it will make up for you guys getting Mete 1 pick before us. As a fan who followed the Knights every game(Marner) I was soo excited when I saw Mete was still available

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad