C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I thought he has played great all year so far. Such a huge improvement from last season. His vision and hockey sense were always incredible, but as pointed out earlier his net presence is what really stands out to me. Really never expected that.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I thought he has played great all year so far. Such a huge improvement from last season. His vision and hockey sense were always incredible, but as pointed out earlier his net presence is what really stands out to me. Really never expected that.

He was always great at being a net front presence. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it's not that surprising considering how good has been at it in the past.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
He was always great at being a net front presence. Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but it's not that surprising considering how good has been at it in the past.

Hmm. Funny, cause I could swear Reinhart just said in a recent interview that playing in front of the net like that is something he has never really done before but he said he is really enjoying it...

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
There's really no debate anymore, he's an NHL player. Mentally, he's always been there of course, but he's taken great physical strides to get to where he needs to be. He's still not the strongest guy and gets knocked around a bit, but that's no reason to discount him, as some on our own board have done with that reach.

One play the stood out to me was against Toronto (I think?) where he took a pass at the offensive blue line and just exploded to get into decent position for a shot with a defender on him, and launched a shot going high far side but was saved. Obviously not that noteworthy, but it just shows how different of a player he is compared to his 9-game trial last season.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Hmm. Funny, cause I could swear Reinhart just said in a recent interview that playing in front of the net like that is something he has never really done before but he said he is really enjoying it...

On the pp maybe...

If you want to see it in easy to see/small amount of games, just go watch the world juniors.

He's always been great at it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was quite rough on him earlier, not sure if it was in this thread or not, and so I thought I would acknowledge his recent success. He got an opportunistic score, which lifted his confidence as well as his team's confidence in him. I know it is shallow to peg success on production alone, but I was watching earlier Buffalo games and Reinhart was invisible, although was not a liability. I could see him continue to rise and join the top crop of rookies this year like Domi and Larkin

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Giving Samson a well deserved Bump.

Scored his 17th goal of the season to keep pace with Jack, and is now only one goal behind Larkin and the old man from Chicago for rookie goal scoring. He also added another assist. His hockey sense is elite but it's his net presents that has impressed me the most so far this season.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Honestly surprised by his goal total. I always pictured his peak being a 20-25 Goal guy with 50-60 assists and elite defensive play, but he's already hitting those goal totals in his rookie year.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I said this in the Buffalo GDT but the most impressive thing about him is that when you watch the full play after he scores you'll see how often he made a great play earlier in the play and then ended up with a comparatively easy looking finish. One of those players where you can actually see his IQ on the ice.

It's amazing how many of his goals have been scored from around the net. Last year he was completely physically not ready...but he worked his ass off and not only got stronger...but now scores goals wrestling with Chara in the crease.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Honestly surprised by his goal total. I always pictured his peak being a 20-25 Goal guy with 50-60 assists and elite defensive play, but he's already hitting those goal totals in his rookie year.

Different role. He was a playmaker during juniors as that was his role and his elite IQ allowed him to be great at that.

Surprisingly though, the role he has been given at the NHL level is the net front presence and I don't think ANYONE could have predicted he would look so great in that role too. Lots of tips, and even when he doesn't get a point, it is him screening the goalie leading to the goal.

I expected a 10-15 goal + 20-25 assist rookie season but am more than happy with opposite.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Really surprised by his season. I expected him to start pretty slow and be a 15-15 type player this season with sound defensive play. Looks like he might have more offensive instincts than I expected.

I'll stick with my Bergeron comparison and continue to be jealous he's not on the Wings.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah...I'm pretty sure the 2014 first round treated the Wings just fine lol.

I'll never understand how Larkin went 15. It takes two seconds to see he's unbelievable.

For a draft that was pretty maligned going in there sure are a nice group of players already showing stuff. Ekblad and Larkin were already deserving all stars. Draisaitl, Reinhart, Bennett. Ehlers, Pasta, Fabbri and the Vancouver kids already doing stuff at the top level. And Nylander certainly would be if Toronto wanted him to. That's within a season and a half of the draft before we even see most guys develop.

Going to look back on that draft much better than thought going in I'd think.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Literally no one would have predicted Sam would be finding his goals as the net front presence in his rookie year.

It's amazing. Whatever he did to build strength in the offseason must have worked.

Such an underrated prospect really. I think he'll have the goal lead for rookies soon. He's one off.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

He's been great in front of the net. Despite being average-sized, he's just so good at positioning himself and holding his ground. His hand-eye coordination on tips is very, very good. He's easily the best player on the team at playing in front of the net. So that's a lot of why he's been able to score more goals than many would've expected, the other big one being that his shot has improved a lot. On the flipside he has fewer assists or at least a different goal:assist ratio than people would've expected. I think a lot of that is because he's playing wing, while some is also that the team is just putrid at even-strength scoring.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I don't follow the sabers much but Reinhart is a hometown guy so I have an interest in him. Haven't been able to follow up much because of personal life but hopefully someone can fill me in.

I am surprised by his goal scoring abilities. I thought he would be more of a playmaker.

I am more surprised that he is still being utilized as a winger. I thought Reinhart was best suited as a center and that he was going to be moved to his natural position half way through the season. Is his defensive game lacking or something?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Tim Murray has said he would like to see him play center too.

Bylsma marches to the beat of his own drum. Anytime you have a question as to why a player is used a certain way...especially if you think it makes no sense...the answer is always the same. "You have to ask Dan"

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
As good as Eichel as ROR are, I think Reinhart will be the longtime captain of the Sabres

The timing isn't going to work out. He does come with all of the qualities you look for...but Gionta will be done within the next year and a half and that's become RoR's room. No one will tell you they've learned more about how to prepare from O'Reilly than Reinhart. He's been working with him extra all year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
The timing isn't going to work out. He does come with all of the qualities you look for...but Gionta will be done within the next year and a half and that's become RoR's room. No one will tell you they've learned more about how to prepare from O'Reilly than Reinhart. He's been working with him extra all year.

even with that dui ?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
even with that dui ?

They gave him the A after it so I don't see why not. He runs his own practices after team practice that Reinhart and others go to. I can't imagine it not being him unless Gionta somehow hangs around past his current deal.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
I think some people are really overrating Reinhart based on just the amount goals attached to his name.

Most of Reinhart's goals are just tip ins or put backs. How long can that really last? His skills are way behind the true goal scorers in this league. Not really fast, doesn't have a good shot and isn't smooth/creative with puck on stick.

His goals are nice, but I am a little cautious about him. His game seems ugly to me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him level out at this production for career which is decent but not star worthy.

sah braise

Dec 24, 2014
I think some people are really overrating Reinhart based on just the amount goals attached to his name.

Most of Reinhart's goals are just tip ins or put backs. How long can that really last? His skills are way behind the true goal scorers in this league. Not really fast, doesn't have a good shot and isn't smooth/creative with puck on stick.

His goals are nice, but I am a little cautious about him. His game seems ugly to me.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him level out at this production for career which is decent but not star worthy.

If he can be anything like Joe Pavelski, would you be happy with that? He's been one of the games best goal scorers for a while now, all while being a timid net front presence, not a scrappy or grinding one like most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->