C Sam Reinhart (2014, 2nd, BUF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
I wonder what was the last time two brothers were both captains of different CHL clubs

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I watched him play Edmonton in their elimination game. He was really great, easily the best player on the ice. However, I don't see him on the Mackinnon-Drouin level, or the Yakupov level, or even the RNH level. Not sure he's a sure-fire first overall. Maybe 2014's just that weak.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I watched him play Edmonton in their elimination game. He was really great, easily the best player on the ice. However, I don't see him on the Mackinnon-Drouin level, or the Yakupov level, or even the RNH level. Not sure he's a sure-fire first overall. Maybe 2014's just that weak.

At Sam's age RNH had 65 points in 67 games this year Sam has 85 in 72 and was able to play as a 16 yearold and RNH wasn't. Sam is on his level and has a better 2 way game.

And as a year younger than RNH Sam had 78 points in 34 games to RNH 87 points in 36 games both on the NW Giants.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
At Sam's age RNH had 65 points in 67 games this year Sam has 85 in 72 and was able to play as a 16 yearold and RNH wasn't. Sam is on his level and has a better 2 way game.

And as a year younger than RNH Sam had 78 points in 34 games to RNH 87 points in 36 games both on the NW Giants.

Look, I'm not saying he can't be, I'm just saying that at a glance (because obviously you can't tell anything definitive from one game) he doesn't look to be at the talent level of those guys. He's got great vision and is a strong defensive player, but he needs work on skating, and improvement in a lot of other areas. Again, just my impression from probably 15-20 minutes of ice. Just my impression.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Look, I'm not saying he can't be, I'm just saying that at a glance (because obviously you can't tell anything definitive from one game) he doesn't look to be at the talent level of those guys. He's got great vision and is a strong defensive player, but he needs work on skating, and improvement in a lot of other areas. Again, just my impression from probably 15-20 minutes of ice. Just my impression.

Sorry I wasn't trying to call you out but I have followed him the last 2 years and I think he is going to be great he has the work ethic of his father but skill no one in his family possesses.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sorry I wasn't trying to call you out but I have followed him the last 2 years and I think he is going to be great he has the work ethic of his father but skill no one in his family possesses.

No, no problem. I'd love to be proven wrong, he seems like a really good kid.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

Huh? Sam scored 85 points in his 17 year old season (I am aware he didnt turn 17 until Nov but it still counts as his 17 year old season development wise), at the same age RNH had 106 points. Also RNH played when we was 16 (hence he had two seasons before he was drafted). Just food for thought.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Huh? Sam scored 85 points in his 17 year old season (I am aware he didnt turn 17 until Nov but it still counts as his 17 year old season development wise), at the same age RNH had 106 points. Also RNH played when we was 16 (hence he had two seasons before he was drafted). Just food for thought.

RNH is 20 in 10 days he was 17 his first year in the WHL no?

How ever you break it down Sam gets 3 years in the WHL to RNH 2.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
To the posters looking at rnh vs Sam, nuge developed a lot after getting cut from the wjc as a 17 yr old, took the chl by storm after.
While Sam bloomed a bit earlier, and in this case it's being held against him. If I recall correctly, a similar thing happened to Phil kessel, but he eventually put the work he needed to in his game and seems to be living up to potential.

Also Sam reminds me a lot of Brayden Schenn

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
RNH is 20 in 10 days he was 17 his first year in the WHL no?

How ever you break it down Sam gets 3 years in the WHL to RNH 2.

It's hard to have an educated debate with someone who doesn't know how development years work. It doesn't matter what time of year their birthday is, except for the NHL. Sam's first year in the WHL was his 16 year old year, as was RNH's.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
It's hard to have an educated debate with someone who doesn't know how development years work. It doesn't matter what time of year their birthday is, except for the NHL. Sam's first year in the WHL was his 16 year old year, as was RNH's.

Yes but Sam will get 3 years in the WHL to RNH 2. It is a strange debate since there is 6 months between them.

My point was next season will be Sam's draft year which will be compared to RNH's last WHL season.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
To the posters looking at rnh vs Sam, nuge developed a lot after getting cut from the wjc as a 17 yr old, took the chl by storm after.
While Sam bloomed a bit earlier, and in this case it's being held against him. If I recall correctly, a similar thing happened to Phil kessel, but he eventually put the work he needed to in his game and seems to be living up to potential.

Also Sam reminds me a lot of Brayden Schenn

don't see the comparison, sam is not even in the same realm of physical or board play. i would say sam has a higher iq, and much more skill.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Yes but Sam will get 3 years in the WHL to RNH 2. It is a strange debate since there is 6 months between them.

My point was next season will be Sam's draft year which will be compared to RNH's last WHL season.

Yes but his draft year will be his 18yo season, rnh's was his 17yo season. Go by birthyear, not draft year.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Yes but his draft year will be his 18yo season, rnh's was his 17yo season. Go by birthyear, not draft year.

It's a six month difference; "birth year" is too vague to go by developmentally. It's equally as incorrect/unfair to the players to say "17 vs 18" as it is to go by how many years prior to their draft year it was.

Reinhart has a six month developmental advantage over RNH in a given year, and that's how it should be treated.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
don't see the comparison, sam is not even in the same realm of physical or board play. i would say sam has a higher iq, and much more skill.

Eh, watched the oil kings game on sportsnet on Friday and watched Schenn at 17. Sam's game was identical to the times I watched Schenn the year before his draft

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Eh, watched the oil kings game on sportsnet on Friday and watched Schenn at 17. Sam's game was identical to the times I watched Schenn the year before his draft

in which regard? when the kootenay ice played saskatoon two years ago in whl playoffs schenn was throwing hits at a frequency of that lazar did this past series versus kootenay, i didn't see that game on friday but i watched the games in kootenay. not saying he can't take it, but reinhart rarely initiates contact. i would liken him to seguin, but that's my opinion.

i only saw schenn play twice in the whl, but he was a more in your face type of player than reinhart, reinhart usually tends to have the best vision on the ice every game i do, making really smart passes. i vaguely remember but i recall remember schenn trying to power through players.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
IMO he reminds of a prime Patrik Elias from what I've seen. Excellent playmaker, not physical but not soft, good defensively, good leader

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
in which regard? when the kootenay ice played saskatoon two years ago in whl playoffs schenn was throwing hits at a frequency of that lazar did this past series versus kootenay, i didn't see that game on friday but i watched the games in kootenay. not saying he can't take it, but reinhart rarely initiates contact. i would liken him to seguin, but that's my opinion.

i only saw schenn play twice in the whl, but he was a more in your face type of player than reinhart, reinhart usually tends to have the best vision on the ice every game i do, making really smart passes. i vaguely remember but i recall remember schenn trying to power through players.

You're comparing Schenn the year after being drafted to a Reinhart a season before being drafted. At 17, in my opinion they look identical. We'll see what happens.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
happy he's invited to the summer WJC (he's a late '95 bday so he was a sure invite).

given how bad Canada's depth is re 96, I think he has an excellent shot of making WJC (as draft eligible players go, i'd guess him to make the team over ekblad).

re kootenay - i'm guessing he's confirmed to stay there next year?

Reload

Jun 20, 2003
Visit site
happy he's invited to the summer WJC (he's a late '95 bday so he was a sure invite).

given how bad Canada's depth is re 96, I think he has an excellent shot of making WJC (as draft eligible players go, i'd guess him to make the team over ekblad).

re kootenay - i'm guessing he's confirmed to stay there next year?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ekblad was even invited to the summer camp.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ekblad was even invited to the summer camp.

No, he wasn't - he'll be at Hlinka this summer.

my reference to him 'making the team' was in reference to the final team...and given that HC is miserly in the # of draft eligible players it lets on i'm not sure both will make it.

...subject to the comments of others...i think the "not yet drafted" players who will be 'most eligible' to make the final team will be McDavid, Reinhart, and Ekblad.

Of those 3, I think Reinhart will bet the nod first. After that, McDavid.

I doubt Ekblad will make it - I think Canada's D is too deep at this point. but we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad