C Ryan Winterton - Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL (2021, 67th, SEA)

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Winterton looks like a potential pick in the first 2-3 rounds of the 2021 draft. He played center his first year in Hamilton and put up decent numbers. He’s a fantastic skater with a great shot who plays a 200 foot game. He’s also one of the youngest players in his draft class with a September 03 birthday. Deserves a thread!

Last edited:
Reactions: inxs

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Markham, Ontario’s Ryan Winterton was selected by the Hamilton Bulldogs in the first round, eighth overall, at the 2019 OHL Priority Selection Draft. Winterton scored 12 goals and 11 assists for 23 points in 53 games as an OHL Rookie. He also played for Team Canada Black at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. Winterton picked up three assists in five tournament games. Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Winterton was not able to build on those numbers this season. With the OHL season never getting started, Winterton was limited to playing for Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships as his only hockey this season. He put up two goals and four points in seven tournament games. Winterton helped the Canadian team bring the gold medal home from Plano, Texas.

In 2018-19 Winterton put up 38 goals and 36 assists for 72 points in 36 games for the Whitby Wildcats in the ETAHL. He also added three goals and six points in seven playoff games. Winterton’s older brother, Jacob Winterton played in the OHL for the Flint Firebirds and the Oshawa Generals. With his OHL career done, he is playing USports hockey for the University of Guelph Gryphons.

2021 NHL Draft #80: Ryan Winterton Scouting Report

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Boy do I feel old, I reffed this kid in Whitby when I was in high school and he was a tyke house league hockey player on the blue team lol. Actually the one name that stuck in my head out of kids that I reffed because he was so ridiculously better than everyone else

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
So the dude misses 1.5 seasons, comes back to the OHL and just scores a 5-point game? And so little talk about it?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Didn't expect him to keep that 5 PPG pace up but he is now at 10 points in 5 games. How has he looked away from the puck?

Could someone who follows him or the Bulldogs give some feedback on him?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This kid needs more attention. No signs of slowing down - granted Hamilton looks loaded now but he’s maintaining a 2 PPG pace. Seems very likely he’s another OHL player that scouts slept on because of the “lost season” that was last year. Also keep in mind he’s only 12 days from having been eligible for this years 2022 draft. I think he’s got a lot skill that is going to translate to the next level.

Seattle’s first draft is showing promise beyond Beniers.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
This kid needs more attention. No signs of slowing down - granted Hamilton looks loaded now but he’s maintaining a 2 PPG pace. Seems very likely he’s another OHL player that scouts slept on because of the “lost season” that was last year. Also keep in mind he’s only 12 days from having been eligible for this years 2022 draft. I think he’s got a lot skill that is going to translate to the next level.

Seattle’s first draft is showing promise beyond Beniers.
Winterton and Johnston are the two guys that have most clearly stepped into the “crazily undervalued OHL kids” space that was inevitable last draft. It’s a unique situation where I think it is fair to make those kind of judgments within a year of the draft. Obviously the sample size differs here, but both players look truly incredible - like, better than 3rd overall McTavish. If your team had chosen either of these guys in the top-10, you’d be thrilled with their play this year.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Okay so he has 10 goals, 24 points in 14 games. One of the highest scoring rates in the OHL. And he's only a few months older than Shane Wright.

Steal of the 2021 draft?
Between him and Johnston, although the difference in draft position probably forces me to lean toward Winterton.

I hope he gets the chance to show out at the WJC 2.0…I need to watch more Hamilton games in which they are both playing to affirm this judgment, but I think Winterton may already be the better player than 3OV McTavish.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Between him and Johnston, although the difference in draft position probably forces me to lean toward Winterton.

I hope he gets the chance to show out at the WJC 2.0…I need to watch more Hamilton games in which they are both playing to affirm this judgment, but I think Winterton may already be the better player than 3OV McTavish.

Who would you say has the better translatable skills/will have the bigger impact in the NHL? I ask since I've never seen Winterton play.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Who would you say has the better translatable skills/will have the bigger impact in the NHL? I ask since I've never seen Winterton play.
They’re actually pretty similar. Big kids who skate very well in playing a primarily north-south game, have incredible shots, win a strong majority of their puck battles, and have a commendable two-way game. If I had to put my finger on it, I think I like Winterton slightly more due to playing with a little more pace and creativity when the puck is on his stick. Both guys are the full package who are near-sure things to be at least top-6 guys at the NHL level in my opinion.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
They’re actually pretty similar. Big kids who skate very well in playing a primarily north-south game, have incredible shots, win a strong majority of their puck battles, and have a commendable two-way game. If I had to put my finger on it, I think I like Winterton slightly more due to playing with a little more pace and creativity when the puck is on his stick. Both guys are the full package who are near-sure things to be at least top-6 guys at the NHL level in my opinion.

It's pretty crazy that the lack of OHL season caused many highly underprojected talents to go lower than they probably should have. Clarke (who played great in SVK), Johnston, Othmann, Winterton, etc.

You love to see these propects prove scouts wrong thus far. I feel as if a lost season gave them a chance to focus on gym, nutrition, and ice skills; all vital for development.

Reactions: Dominance

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He's really good. With Beniers, you have a couple of real good centres in your system up and coming. Good job Seattle, I guess you didn't need those extra picks at all

No you are wrong there as they really did need for extra picks, Francis did a horrible job with his expansion drafting.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I was hoping the Ducks targeted Winterton with their 3rd last year, but they went with Pastujov. Both appear pretty talented, but Winterton obviously is a bit bigger, faster, and can play center. It will be fun seeing how they adapt as they move up to the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad