C Ryan Suzuki - Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL (2019, 28th, CAR)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Get drafted first in the OHL draft, you deserve a page. Excited to see what he can do with Barrie. If he combines his brothers smarts with better skating and a bigger frame, he'll be a hell of a player.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/arti...erall-pick-in-the-2017-ohl-priority-selection

Toronto, ON – The Ontario Hockey League in association with the Barrie Colts Hockey Club today announced that 15-year-old forward Ryan Suzuki of the ALLIANCE’s London Jr. Knights will be the first overall pick in the 2017 OHL Priority Selection.

The announcement was made at a news conference held today in Barrie where Suzuki was introduced to local media.

“The opportunity to have the first selection in the OHL Priority Selection is exciting for us,†said Colts General Manager Jason Ford. “When you have the ability to add a player of the calibre of Ryan, that makes a big difference to the team going forward. Hats off to our scouting staff. It’s always a big job to make sure you’ve seen as many players as possible and with a deep draft this year, it was lots of work. We’re very happy that Ryan chose the OHL and thrilled that he will be a Barrie Colt.â€

Suzuki was named the ALLIANCE Minor Midget Player of the Year after leading the league in scoring with 19 goals and 40 assists for 59 points in 32 games helping the Jr. Knights capture their seventh straight league title qualifying for the OHL Cup as the tournament’s top ranked team. Following his Minor Midget campaign, Suzuki joined the GOJHL’s London Nationals and helping them secure a Western Conference title.

“I really like the kind of player Ryan is,†said Colts Head Coach Dale Hawerchuk. “He leads by example and it’s great to have a player like that coming onto the team. He sees the ice exceptionally well, has skill, can score, but he’s also is a playmaker. I think he’ll be a key asset for us and make a big impact, and we really like him off the ice too. His brother is obviously doing very well in this league and I’m ecited to start working with Ryan.â€

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Anyone know who he compares to playing style wise?

Hate comparables. He plays like Ryan Suzuki.

As far as his playing style, have watched him no less than a dozen times this season. Excellent skating, fantastic vision and puck skills that makes a scout drool. Prefers to set up plays, but can score as well. Has the ability to slow the play down and control it.

Down side is his motor. Doesn't compete hard when the going gets tough, and can absolutely disappear. When this happens, he's a completely replaceable part. Spends the most of his time on the perimeter looking to make a pretty pass into the tough areas because he doesn't like going there himself.

Amazing talent, suffice to say he isn't my 1st overall in my rankings.

i am papa bear

Dec 2, 2014
Hate comparables. He plays like Ryan Suzuki.

As far as his playing style, have watched him no less than a dozen times this season. Excellent skating, fantastic vision and puck skills that makes a scout drool. Prefers to set up plays, but can score as well. Has the ability to slow the play down and control it.

Down side is his motor. Doesn't compete hard when the going gets tough, and can absolutely disappear. When this happens, he's a completely replaceable part. Spends the most of his time on the perimeter looking to make a pretty pass into the tough areas because he doesn't like going there himself.

Amazing talent, suffice to say he isn't my 1st overall in my rankings.

So...kind of like Mitch Marner?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Glad more Japanese (Even if Japanese Canadians) are stepping into the NHL. Japan is the best place to find hockey lovers in East Asia. I just hope he is a good role model and not only plays awesome hockey but also is a good role model off the ice (Does charity, doesn't go overboard at parties, drinking, etc. (Be even more awesome if he didn't do it at all).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Glad more Japanese (Even if Japanese Canadians) are stepping into the NHL. Japan is the best place to find hockey lovers in East Asia. I just hope he is a good role model and not only plays awesome hockey but also is a good role model off the ice (Does charity, doesn't go overboard at parties, drinking, etc. (Be even more awesome if he didn't do it at all).

Are they really even Japanese-Canadians? I mean Kailer Yamamoto is definitely a Japanese name which his Grandpa is from Japan who moved to Hawai'i, but the dude is more Caucasian than he is Asian. Suzuki is also a common Japanese surname meaning bell-wood. But the Suzuki brothers seem like they're from the Russia, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Georgia region instead of a region farther east.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Are they really even Japanese-Canadians? I mean Kailer Yamamoto is definitely a Japanese name which his Grandpa is from Japan who moved to Hawai'i, but the dude is more Caucasian than he is Asian. Suzuki is also a common Japanese surname meaning bell-wood. But the Suzuki brothers seem like they're from the Russia, Kazakhstan, Armenia, and Georgia region instead of a region farther east.

They're bi/multiracial, but they definitely have some Japanese in them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Barrie is absolutely destroying Ottawa, but Suzuki is having a very good debut. Halfway through the game he has a goal and assist, but seems to be getting 2nd line minutes and some PP1 time.

Expected this to be the Svechnikov show, but a bunch of guys are stepping up.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bigger&Better version of his brother Nick, i know its said a lot considering how good Nick already is and going to be
but i think its fair projection.

I think he was the 2nd best 2001 born player last season in the OHL, Kaliyev being the best.

Blake Murray was arguably better than both. At the very least in the conversation.

Reactions: 99664987

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Blake Murray was arguably better than both. At the very least in the conversation.

I dunno about that.
well... at least he isn't considered as top prospect, yet.

He did have a similar season what Suzuki (same amount of points)
but its really difficult to compare when you play in a really bad team and play a lot,
where as Suzuki, who played for a top team,in a significantly smaller role.

Murray was the Wolves leading scorer playing tons of minutes
Suzuki was barely in Colts top 10 while playing way less minutes than Murray.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I dunno about that.
well... at least he isn't considered as top prospect, yet.

He did have a similar season what Suzuki (same amount of points)
but its really difficult to compare when you play in a really bad team and play a lot,
where as Suzuki, who played for a top team,in a significantly smaller role.

Murray was the Wolves leading scorer playing tons of minutes
Suzuki was barely in Colts top 10 while playing way less minutes than Murray.

Some might say being at the top of the pyramid and scoring well as a rookie works in Murray favour. He'll be trusted to be the top guy going into next season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Some might say being at the top of the pyramid and scoring well as a rookie works in Murray favour. He'll be trusted to be the top guy going into next season.

I thought that as well, however..that goes for Ryan Suzuki too.

What helps Suzuki to climb to either 1st or 2nd line center is
that Luchuk left the team to Belleville (AHL), Colts #1 center. (came from Windsor)
Jason Willms is probably their 1st choice.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought that as well, however..that goes for Ryan Suzuki too.

What helps Suzuki to climb to either 1st or 2nd line center is
that Luchuk left the team to Belleville (AHL), Colts #1 center. (came from Windsor)
Jason Willms is probably their 1st choice.

Yeah depending on a lot of factors Sudbury could be much improved next year or at least a bubble OHL team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Early impression of Ryan Suzuki. Very smart player, it's early but I would not surprised if he is a top 10 pick this upcoming draft. At worst mid first rd. He is the type of player I like. High IQ, slippery, finds space. Uses his head to beat you rather than his brawn. Kid's got huge potential.

Reactions: 99664987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->