C Ryan Suzuki - Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL (2019, 28th, CAR)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ryan Suzuki is on 7 game point streak. Most points in the entire CHL, not just in the OHL. - as a 17 year old.
Good start for him, but, it should be noted that this can happen early on in the season due to the fact the best 18 or 19-year-olds in the CHL tend to miss the first weekend or so (which can be around 3 games) due to the fact they are still at NHL camp. For example, his brother missed Owen Sounds first 2 games due to still being up with the Habs. Cody Glass, who has also started the year on a tear also missed 2 games due to this.

I think Suzuki is still in the 10 to 15 range, but if he keeps this up he'll crack the top 10, and will get top 5 discussions.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Good start for him, but, it should be noted that this can happen early on in the season due to the fact the best 18 or 19-year-olds in the CHL tend to miss the first weekend or so (which can be around 3 games) due to the fact they are still at NHL camp. For example, his brother missed Owen Sounds first 2 games due to still being up with the Habs. Cody Glass, who has also started the year on a tear also missed 2 games due to this.

I think Suzuki is still in the 10 to 15 range, but if he keeps this up he'll crack the top 10, and will get top 5 discussions.

All true, but he is 17. And so far, i think he has been the best skater
(among forwards&defensemen, not meaning skating ability) in the CHL.

- for one, i thought Alexis Lafrenière would totally destroy CHL this season
(i think he can/will still do it), he has had a slow start to the season,only 2 goals and 6 assists,
for 7 games.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All true, but he is 17. And so far, i think he has been the best skater
(among forwards&defensemen, not meaning skating ability) in the CHL.

- for one, i thought Alexis Lafrenière would totally destroy CHL this season
(i think he can/will still do it), he has had a slow start to the season,only 2 goals and 6 assists,
for 7 games.
Cody Glass has been killing it for Portland since he came back.

He's been very good, but I don't think he's been definitively the best player in the CHL so far this year. Guys like Cozens are killing it out West playing a strong 2-way and direct game. Still, though, we are working with a very small sample size to really judge too much.

Reactions: savard95

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Cody Glass has been killing it for Portland since he came back.

He's been very good, but I don't think he's been definitively the best player in the CHL so far this year. Guys like Cozens are killing it out West playing a strong 2-way and direct game. Still, though, we are working with a very small sample size to really judge too much.

All true, lets see how the season pans out for all of those players :)

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Ryan Suzuki is quietly destroying the OHL with almost 2ppg 18pts in 10games

He was ranked in the mid first, realy wondering how high he'll end up being picked with all these high end prospect already in the top10!

Mercedes Benn

Aug 3, 2018
Ryan Suzuki is quietly destroying the OHL with almost 2ppg 18pts in 10games

He was ranked in the mid first, realy wondering how high he'll end up being picked with all these high end prospect already in the top10!
3 points today puts him up to 21 pts in 11 games. Was also the games 1st star

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
No one watching the Colts this year? I was intrigued by Suzuki early on this year but it's been real quiet since. What's going on with him?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
No one watching the Colts this year? I was intrigued by Suzuki early on this year but it's been real quiet since. What's going on with him?
He rarely imposes his will on a game. He's just so passive. He has great vision and a good skill level. But, he just disappears out of games. And, I don't mean impose your will in a Prime-Lucic way. I mean, just always being aggressive and trying to create such as Marner or Kane. He's just invisible way too often.

Reactions: Aerrol

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
He rarely imposes his will on a game. He's just so passive. He has great vision and a good skill level. But, he just disappears out of games. And, I don't mean impose your will in a Prime-Lucic way. I mean, just always being aggressive and trying to create such as Marner or Kane. He's just invisible way too often.
Thats also been a similar issue to his older brother Nick. Seems like it runs in the family. Maybe some sort of laid-back personality? But Nick has acknowledged that and has worked hard in fixing it this season. So Ryan, with a similar mindset, should be able to overcome this and be a good NHL player one day.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thats also been a similar issue to his older brother Nick. Seems like it runs in the family. Maybe some sort of laid-back personality? But Nick has acknowledged that and has worked hard in fixing it this season. So Ryan, with a similar mindset, should be able to overcome this and be a good NHL player one day.
I wouldn't be comfortable taking him where he's projected to go. Plus, it tends to be pointless as grouping brothers togeather because one overcame it the other can (plus, we have no idea if Nick can overcome it at the NHL level, and not just being a 19 year old in the OHL). Plus, I've always thought Ryan was more passive than Nick was. Nick's more of a shooter and has been since his draft year.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I wouldn't be comfortable taking him where he's projected to go. Plus, it tends to be pointless as grouping brothers togeather because one overcame it the other can (plus, we have no idea if Nick can overcome it at the NHL level, and not just being a 19 year old in the OHL). Plus, I've always thought Ryan was more passive than Nick was. Nick's more of a shooter and has been since his draft year.
I agree. Just saying it can be overcome. I see Ryan drafted in the 20-25 range. It will good value for any team in that range.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I agree. Just saying it can be overcome. I see Ryan drafted in the 20-25 range. It will good value for any team in that range.
It's rare to see guys compete level jump significantly and try to impose their will more on games. I just don't see that drive with him even when he has the puck.

I think he'll end up top 15. Someone will be bedazzled by the skill. All it takes is one team really liking a guy.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's rare to see guys compete level jump significantly and try to impose their will more on games. I just don't see that drive with him even when he has the puck.

I think he'll end up top 15. Someone will be bedazzled by the skill. All it takes is one team really liking a guy.

Could improvements in weight/strength help with this do you think?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Could improvements in weight/strength help with this do you think?
I don't think so, I think it's just an instinctive way people play. A ton of the high-end guys who are trying to always create plays aren't particularly big. It's just how they use their skills. I mean, no one would accuse guys like Marner or Kane with being big guys, but they are always trying to create when they have the puck on their stick, and not defer. Size might help him win battles, but most guys either want it or don't.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't think so, I think it's just an instinctive way people play. A ton of the high-end guys who are trying to always create plays aren't particularly big. It's just how they use their skills. I mean, no one would accuse guys like Marner or Kane with being big guys, but they are always trying to create when they have the puck on their stick, and not defer. Size might help him win battles, but most guys either want it or don't.

This isn't a perfect comparison by any means, but this line of discussion made me think of 2014 with Draisaitl and Bennett being compared as top picks. Obviously Draisaitl has much more size than Suzuki, but I recall at the time much being made of Bennett's superior compete level and physicality as a major reason to take him over Draisaitl. Indeed, at the time I liked him more than Draisaitl because of the skating and compete level he showed.

Apart from size, do you think Draisaitl showed significantly more compete than Suzuki has thus far? Maybe if you can elaborate a bit on what separates them (as prospects) in that regard I'll have a better understanding of what you mean.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This isn't a perfect comparison by any means, but this line of discussion made me think of 2014 with Draisaitl and Bennett being compared as top picks. Obviously Draisaitl has much more size than Suzuki, but I recall at the time much being made of Bennett's superior compete level and physicality as a major reason to take him over Draisaitl. Indeed, at the time I liked him more than Draisaitl because of the skating and compete level he showed.

Apart from size, do you think Draisaitl showed significantly more compete than Suzuki has thus far? Maybe if you can elaborate a bit on what separates them (as prospects) in that regard I'll have a better understanding of what you mean.
Draisaitl is still pretty driven to complete plays and hold on to the puck. I'm not asking Suzuki to come out there and run over everyone. What I would like to see is more assertiveness when driving offense, which isn't something I felt Draisaitl lacked. Now, these are high-end players, so it's not a fair comparison but Patrick Kane or Gaudreau aren't great in the corners or embracing physicality. But, anytime they have the puck they are assertive in trying to drive play and create opportunities. They don't wait for the offense to come to them. They are constantly trying to generate offense. I find Suzuki can go through stretches where he's waiting for the perfect pass to work or is lackadaisical in approach.

If you want to look at Oilers, a fairer comparison would be someone like RNH (although RNH was a significantly better prospect), who has rounded out his game but always had trouble finding consistency because he would get to pass happy and wouldn't be assertive in trying to drive the offense forward. It's not always in certain players nature to play like that. Some guys have enough raw skill they can do it, but its very tough. Now, I would also gladly take a guy who projects as RNH top 10 in this draft, but I'm skeptical of Suzuki reaching that.

Suzuki has all the raw tools to make people who pass on him in the top 10 to 15 look foolish if it clicks with better talent and improves. But, he also has traits that make me worry about investing a high pick in him. I'm much more comfortable investing in guys like Turcotte and Krebs.

Last edited:

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Still struggling with the same issues he’s had at the start of the year and has been a bit disappointing in terms of my statistical expectations, but I still hold strong to my belief that he is the most purely offensively talented player in the draft besides Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad