C Ryan Suzuki - Springfield Thunderbirds, AHL (2019, 28th, CAR)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Early impression of Ryan Suzuki. Very smart player, it's early but I would not surprised if he is a top 10 pick this upcoming draft. At worst mid first rd. He is the type of player I like. High IQ, slippery, finds space. Uses his head to beat you rather than his brawn. Kid's got huge potential.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was a top 6 pick. Its not like he is small or anything.

Reactions: 99664987

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Good but not great D-1 season in the CHL by the numbers. When I watched him at Hlinka, my thoughts were he's excellent on the PP as a half-wall guy who can walk into a shot or thread passes through the seam and he's very smart but I was not particularly impressed at Even Strength.

Where does he rank right now in terms of 2019 guys?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Good but not great D-1 season in the CHL by the numbers. When I watched him at Hlinka, my thoughts were he's excellent on the PP as a half-wall guy who can walk into a shot or thread passes through the seam and he's very smart but I was not particularly impressed at Even Strength.

Probably 10-15 range.

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018

I've got him at 18 but he's a player who could rise a lot if he has a good season. Has all the tangibles to be a high end NHL player.

Also, your avatar:laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I liked him at the Hlinka .. smart player.. good playmaker.
I think he's around the 15 mark.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Somewhere in the 10 to 25 range. He's behind the first batch of players like Hughes, Turcotte, Newhook, Cozens, Kakko, Dach, Podkolzin, Cajkovic and Byram. Probably can add Krebs, Kaliyev, Boldy, and Lavoie to that list. It is too early to say with much confidence on where guys will land. A lot can change in 10 months.

He seems similar to his brother but bigger and faster. If he has the same level of hockey IQ as Nick, he'll fight to be in the top 10. Nick is a very smart player and demonstrated it in his draft year, I also think he might have had a better shot.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Somewhere in the 10 to 25 range. He's behind the first batch of players like Hughes, Turcotte, Newhook, Cozens, Kakko, Dach, Podkolzin, Cajkovic and Byram. Probably can add Krebs, Kaliyev, Boldy, and Lavoie to that list. It is too early to say with much confidence on where guys will land. A lot can change in 10 months.

He seems similar to his brother but bigger and faster. If he has the same level of hockey IQ as Nick, he'll fight to be in the top 10. Nick is a very smart player and demonstrated it in his draft year, I also think he might have had a better shot.

I like him a lot, personally. A bigger version of his brother is a damn good player in my book. I would probably have him borderline top 10.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I stopped counting the amount of cross-seam, tape-to-tape passes he was hitting to teammates in stride along the tournament. He just always seemed to make the right play with the puck.

If this is a preview of his D-year, he should have no problem challenging for top 10.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I stopped counting the amount of cross-seam, tape-to-tape passes he was hitting to teammates in stride along the tournament. He just always seemed to make the right play with the puck.

If this is a preview of his D-year, he should have no problem challenging for top 10.

Agreed. But it will be a dogfight to get a spot in that top 10. So many damn good players in this draft. He's right up there with Krebs and Dach as playmakers IMO.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I need to get around to posting my early rankings, but as of now Suzuki is #3. I'm way higher on him than others, but I just think he's one of the most intelligent forwards I've seen in a while. He reads the game at such a quick pace. He's always like 10 steps ahead of everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yasuo and 99664987

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
The Suzukis seem like they dont get involved and battle. They hang out on the periphery a lot and wait for the puck to come to them. Almost every other block gets checked -- skating, passing, vision, shooting, awareness etc. You don't need to be a physical beast to make it in the NHL, especially as a top-six scorer. But I'd like to see them play with a little more passion and win puck battles against bigger players. Still, Suzuki gets the slight edge ahead over Kaliyev for top OHL prospect for the draft. Barrie is his team and he's tearing it up thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad