C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Plenty of college players, age 17, have been drafted top 15 over the years. There might be a reason why he wasnt producing at age 17. Its not that he is setting the world on fire now either.
Since the 05 lockout Toews is the only forward to play his U18 season in the NCAA and go in the top 15. Jim Obrien (F), Noah Hanifin, Zach Werenski, and Dillon Simpson (D), the only other players.

Reactions: schnapshot

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
As someone who normally favors NCAA guys more then CHL guys because higher level of play competition and who advocated for the CBJ to take him when we had a early 20s pick before traded to Vegas I haven't been impressed by any international play or his regular season play. I'd prefer Texier over Poehling right now and as a future prospect. I hope all the best for the kid though.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
well, I can tell you first hand that I have had plenty of conversations/disagreements with RR over certain US players, it all hasn't been roses - we call out bad play and have done so for years - on this occasion, I second his motion that you really do not know what you are talking about with regards to Poehling. I don't get your comparisons at all or what you are even trying to say.

Poehling is doing very good this year, I doubt he ever becomes a #1 center, if anything he might have a similar career to a Ryan Kesler - a top #2 center on real good teams but can fill in at times on the top line - his season so far outside of his bad WJC performance has not changed that thought for me at all, if anything it has confirmed it for me that he will be a solid NHLer for a long time. He has a lot to work on, but he has at least 1 more year to do so before going pro.
Agreed. And it's not just the numbers, which maybe someone based in Europe is going solely on.... it's the skills he's showing. He is more dynamic and creative than what he showed last year (not surprising as a freshman who had to first get his coach's trust). I wish he'd looked better at the WJC's too, but you don't base everything on that 1 tournament when you have a lot more games to look at as evidence.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Since the 05 lockout Toews is the only forward to play his U18 season in the NCAA and go in the top 15. Jim Obrien (F), Noah Hanifin, Zach Werenski, and Dillon Simpson (D), the only other players.
Sssh please don't use facts.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
As someone who normally favors NCAA guys more then CHL guys because higher level of play competition and who advocated for the CBJ to take him when we had a early 20s pick before traded to Vegas I haven't been impressed by any international play or his regular season play. I'd prefer Texier over Poehling right now and as a future prospect. I hope all the best for the kid though.

Gee, I wonder why. If you haven't been impressed by Poehling's regular season play, I'm going to suggest that youn haven't been watching. But then again, I doubt your watching many KalPa games either.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Sssh please don't use facts.
I don't want to get sidetracked into another YOB/draft year debate. I just can't comprehend people doing apples to apples comparisons of Freshman seasons like:

Draft Year- Poehling- U18. U17 spent in USHS
Draft Year-Kunin (just an example, baseline case)- U19. U18,U17 spent in USHL/USNDP
Draft+1- Connor (odd case), U20. U19,U18, U17, all spent in USHL

And that's before getting into conference and team differences

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
For sure, he wasn’t very dominant in the WJC, but it’s a 19/20 year old tournament. Poehling will be back next year in his D+2 with a bigger role. Kieffer Bellows only had 3 pts in 7 games too last year for Team USA and killed it this year.

As for regular season, I don’t really see what doesn’t impress, his stats are great, he’s playing in every situation, he scored some clutch goals and is a shutdown machine. Like someone pointed out, he’s 3rd in U20 drafted PPG.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
For sure, he wasn’t very dominant in the WJC, but it’s a 19/20 year old tournament. Poehling will be back next year in his D+2 with a bigger role. Kieffer Bellows only had 3 pts in 7 games too last year for Team USA and killed it this year.

As for regular season, I don’t really see what doesn’t impress, his stats are great, he’s playing in every situation, he scored some clutch goals and is a shutdown machine. Like someone pointed out, he’s 3rd in U20 drafted PPG.
Don't get me wrong I'm actually very impressed with his 2way play which is why I wanted him on the CBJ. I was I guess more talking about his offense. The stats are there but when I've watched him play I don't get that feeling that I got with say a Boesser or Yamamoto that was like wow this kid has potential. But to be fair I felt the same about PLD when he was in the Q. I'm not a pro scout so I'm not claiming my opinion should be taken to the bank and of you disagree you are wrong. Just saying what I've seen. The last part of this is directed more towards the needlessly angry poster I'm about to quote.

Gee, I wonder why. If you haven't been impressed by Poehling's regular season play, I'm going to suggest that youn haven't been watching. But then again, I doubt your watching many KalPa games either.
I have seen in all honesty maybe 2 full games the rest highlights of the games. I keep up on all U21 USA top prospects. Also I've seen more KalPa games on sketchy streams this year then any before. Why be angry because someone has an opinion that said they wanted a player and hope nothing but the best for them but are happy with what they ended up with based on the +1 year? In 2 years that can change.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Don't get me wrong I'm actually very impressed with his 2way play which is why I wanted him on the CBJ. I was I guess more talking about his offense. The stats are there but when I've watched him play I don't get that feeling that I got with say a Boesser or Yamamoto that was like wow this kid has potential. But to be fair I felt the same about PLD when he was in the Q. I'm not a pro scout so I'm not claiming my opinion should be taken to the bank and of you disagree you are wrong. Just saying what I've seen. The last part of this is directed more towards the needlessly angry poster I'm about to quote.

I have seen in all honesty maybe 2 full games the rest highlights of the games. I keep up on all U21 USA top prospects. Also I've seen more KalPa games on sketchy streams this year then any before. Why be angry because someone has an opinion that said they wanted a player and hope nothing but the best for them but are happy with what they ended up with based on the +1 year? In 2 years that can change.

Nobody is angry, but when in a thread on one guy you just casually throw in the name of another guy who you think is beter, and that guy is a prospect for your team with seemingly no other single reason to be named in this thread... it's pretty transparent.

If you picked some other player taken in the 2nd round or later in the first maybe I'd buy. Then again, I'm not buying you watching KalPa games with the time difference either.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Top 15-20 I can go with. Definitely not top 10.

1. Hischier
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Tolvanen
5. Makar
6. Patrick
7. Mittlestadt
8. Chytil
9. Vesalainen
10. Vilardi

Who is he better than on this list?
That's more a testament of a good draft year than a knock on Poehling or anyone else not on that list that looks like a legitimate prospect.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
People should stop trying to say X or Y player would be top 10 or 15 in a redraft. The fact is most players picked in the first last year are having great D+1 years and it looks like a solid draft for the moment (very early).

No need to compare him with the rest of the 1st round to say he is a good prospect and a good pick for a 25th oa.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nobody is angry, but when in a thread on one guy you just casually throw in the name of another guy who you think is beter, and that guy is a prospect for your team with seemingly no other single reason to be named in this thread... it's pretty transparent.

If you picked some other player taken in the 2nd round or later in the first maybe I'd buy. Then again, I'm not buying you watching KalPa games with the time difference either.
I only mentioned him because I was posting constantly I wanted either Poehling or Yamamoto the whole season and just stated I'm still happy with the outcome only because the D+1 has happened. I still am a big fan of his though. I saw him as being a less aggressive Ryan Kesler and can still see that in his play but I don't see him hitting peak 10-11 Kesler like I once could and more around 60pt high end 2C in his prime which is still a great outcome for where he was picked I honestly meant no offense.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Top 15-20 I can go with. Definitely not top 10.

1. Hischier
2. Pettersson
3. Heiskanen
4. Tolvanen
5. Makar
6. Patrick
7. Mittlestadt
8. Chytil
9. Vesalainen
10. Vilardi

Who is he better than on this list?
Valardi and possibly Chytil too.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Odds are Poehling in the NHL plays as a very good # 3 center with the chance of playing as a good # 2 center . He's still 2 seasons away from playing in Montreal.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Odds are Poehling in the NHL plays as a very good # 3 center with the chance of playing as a good # 2 center . He's still 2 seasons away from playing in Montreal.

He’s too big, skilled and smart to be a 3C. No way does he top off there.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
He’s too big, skilled and smart to be a 3C. No way does he top off there.
Sounds like a Montreal fan after they drafted McCarron 25th exactly at the same spot as Poehling in 2013: He's too big, skilled and smart to be a 3c.
Being outscored by a lot to an undrafted 5'9 guy 16 months older on his own NCAA team along with 2 others, 1 being a defenseman. Doesnt scream 1c to me.
Timmins should have drafted Frost who went 2 spots later.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Sounds like a Montreal fan after they drafted McCarron 25th exactly at the same spot as Poehling in 2013: He's too big, skilled and smart to be a 3c.
Being outscored by a lot to an undrafted 5'9 guy 16 months older on his own NCAA team along with 2 others, 1 being a defenseman. Doesnt scream 1c to me.

McCarron couldn’t skate and isn’t that skilled, he was just big. One has nothing to do with the other. Poehling is his NCAA team’s best centre at 18 years old.

I get that you’re jaded with the franchise, but Poehling has everything you want in a Top 6 centre.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
There's nothing wrong with Montreal drafting Poehling as a 19 yr in march 2018 he looks like he's more of a number # 3 center. In 2 years/seasons from now he might look like # 2 center . No one is expecting Poehling to be a # 1 center in the NHL.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
McCarron couldn’t skate and isn’t that skilled, he was just big. One has nothing to do with the other.
With hindsight, thats stuff you always hear or read.

He wasnt that skilled, he couldnt skate etc etc. Same with every prospect that has failed to meet expectations.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
With hindsight, thats stuff you always hear or read.

He wasnt that skilled, he couldnt skate etc etc. Same with every prospect that has failed to meet expectations.

If he could skate and was skilled he would have gone much higher than 25th (like Blake Wheeler).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wheeler wasn't even ranked in the top 30
Everyone was surprised to see him taken that high. Total reach.
Wheeler was ranked in the top 20 by seasons end on most services...it was a shock he went that high, but he was well considered a first round pick.
McCarron still to this day was a reach. I think the big guy syndrome is over, if you cant skate you are going to drop a few rounds.

Reactions: le_sean

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

McCarron had a terrible draft+1 year.
Poehling on the other hand made huge improvements as he went from 13 pts in 35 games last year to 30 pts in 33 games this year

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Wheeler was ranked in the top 20 by seasons end on most services...it was a shock he went that high, but he was well considered a first round pick.
McCarron still to this day was a reach. I think the big guy syndrome is over, if you cant skate you are going to drop a few rounds.
Perhaps one scouting service but I remember it very well.

Wheeler was still a reach but turned out be a great one.

Point is, if Poehling ever fails to meet expectations and Montreal draft another promising player in 2021. People will refer to Poehling again and his limitations and why that 2021 draftpick will be better. Its the same old story like always.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Perhaps one scouting service but I remember it very well.

Wheeler was still a reach but turned out be a great one.

Point is, if Poehling ever fails to meet expectations and Montreal draft another promising player in 2021. People will refer to Poehling again and his limitations. Its the same old story like always.
I am just not sure what type of player you are expecting at that pick? When you start getting towards picks 25-31, it is home run swings or go for the steadiest and smartest player you think can make it to the show..I cant see anyone blaming them for taking Poehling at that pick, he simply wasnt a reach..if anything they got him a bit later than was expected by many.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->