C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Scouts watch games but if the player doesnt produce hes still going to fall. At the end of the day you want production no matter the league. Its a reason why Veleno or even Denisenko are risky prospects and they are probably ranked lower than they should.

Plenty of college players, age 17, have been drafted top 15 over the years. There might be a reason why he wasnt producing at age 17. Its not that he is setting the world on fire now either.

Last edited:

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
For expert of NCAA
Who is better between Poehling and Bowers (Same age but Bowers first
year in ncaa).

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
You said he wasn't setting the world on fire. What he's doing right now is pretty damn impressive.
Because he is a PPG in college? Thats not pretty damn impressive. Thats good and after all he is a 1st round pick.

Mikey Anderson is 0.70 PPG as defender and a 4th rounder. Also good.

I am sure there are others.

You truly overreact.

Besides, the point was that somebody thought it was a joke that Button thinks he is not a top 50 prospect.

Reactions: haveandare

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You said he wasn't setting the world on fire. What he's doing right now is pretty damn impressive.

I mean, a guy like Adam Fox, former 3rd round pick by the Flames, was over a PPG in the NCAA in his D+1 season... As a defenseman.

Poehling has done well so far this season, well enough that people aren't as worried as they were on draft day that we just spent a 1st round pick on a 3rd line center. I think we can see top 6 upside now. Does that mean he would go top 15 in a redraft? There's a lot of players from that draft that are doing very well in their +1 season. Over the next few picks following Poehling's selection, you have guys like Frost, Jokiharju, Tolvanen, Kostin, Timmins and Hague, and you could argue all of those guys would go ahead of Poehling in a redraft.

Let's just be happy that he's developing nicely so far.

Last edited:

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Because he is a PPG in college? Thats not pretty damn impressive. Thats good and after all he is a 1st round pick.

You truly overreact.

Besides, the point was that somebody thought it was a joke that Button thinks he is not a top 50 prospect.
Being PPG in college at 18 while being a center is impressive for a late first round pick. The clutch goals that he scores as an 18 year old are also impressive (winning goal last week in an important game).

I don't think many people would disagree. I don't see what bringing Mikey Anderson's 0.70 PPG brings to the discussion. No overreacting here.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
He'll probably be in top 20, but not higher than that if you include people drafted after Poehling who would also jump up, like Tolvanen, Timmins, Hague, Lind, Heponiemi, Frost.

Who would he be definitely jumping ahead anyway, before even assuming he'd go higher in a redraft?

Norris? Vaakanainen? Joseph?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Being PPG in college at 18 while being a center is impressive for a late first round pick. The clutch goals that he scores as an 18 year old are also impressive (winning goal last week in an important game).

I don't think many people would disagree. I don't see what bringing Mikey Anderson's 0.70 PPG brings to the discussion. No overreacting here.
That more players are doing well in college, pointwise.

From 1st round to whatever round.

BTW he is currently 19.

Reactions: haveandare

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I am not saying this specifically at anyone, but most people on here who do not follow NCAA Hockey, just do not understand how much different this league is as opposed to the CHL. A team like St Cloud ST has been notorious for years as having to earn your ice time regardless of talent. Upper class men always get the top line minutes and power play minutes because they have learned the ropes from the bottom up. Good programs do that and that is what attracts players to those schools because they know they are going to be pushed and not handed anything.

Now I also keep seeing people try to compare players from different schools which again you simply can't do as I said above, some schools do play freshmen right away in top roles, while most others simply do not. Obviously your ultra skilled kids like Eichel, Gaudreau, Kessel etc where going to play right away regardless of where they went due to their star level skill. But for the rest of the kids it takes some time to get those roles even first round picks.

To put it in a bit more perspective, Poehling is the only 99' on the team...he is it...he is STILL the youngest player on his team as a sophomore...his situation isn't going to be like others as St Cloud is a deep veteran team BUT he has earned more playing time and has done well this year though I thought he was near invisible for the WJC which was a dissapointment.

He is improving nicely, and for him to be a ppg player on this team is a very impressive feat...do not diminish that one bit.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

You truly overreact.

In other words you have no idea what you are talking about?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
There he is again, Rabid Ranger doesnt like what has been said about a player from the US.

How many times have i seen that before.

well, I can tell you first hand that I have had plenty of conversations/disagreements with RR over certain US players, it all hasn't been roses - we call out bad play and have done so for years - on this occasion, I second his motion that you really do not know what you are talking about with regards to Poehling. I don't get your comparisons at all or what you are even trying to say.

Poehling is doing very good this year, I doubt he ever becomes a #1 center, if anything he might have a similar career to a Ryan Kesler - a top #2 center on real good teams but can fill in at times on the top line - his season so far outside of his bad WJC performance has not changed that thought for me at all, if anything it has confirmed it for me that he will be a solid NHLer for a long time. He has a lot to work on, but he has at least 1 more year to do so before going pro.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
well, I can tell you first hand that I have had plenty of conversations/disagreements with RR over certain US players, it all hasn't been roses - we call out bad play and have done so for years - on this occasion, I second his motion that you really do not know what you are talking about with regards to Poehling. I don't get your comparisons at all or what you are even trying to say.

Poehling is doing very good this year, I doubt he ever becomes a #1 center, if anything he might have a similar career to a Ryan Kesler - a top #2 center on real good teams but can fill in at times on the top line - his season so far outside of his bad WJC performance has not changed that thought for me at all, if anything it has confirmed it for me that he will be a solid NHLer for a long time. He has a lot to work on, but he has at least 1 more year to do so before going pro.

You need to put things into context why I made that comparison, something you arent doing at all, so i take it with a grain of salt. You certainly dont have to talk about “comparisons” or that nobody knows there is a difference between certain college schools.

So why do you even come up with this. Why didnt you quote me right away, but somehow felt the need to do it now. Didnt you say: “I am not saying this specifically at anyone” ? What triggered you now?

You act like I say that Poehling is a bad player.

I am a member since 2003 and since day 1 he gets annoyed everytime I say something negative about somebody from the US. You should have seen him with Dustin Brown.

Now I just think its plain homerism that Ryan Poehling should get more hype or whatever you want to name it or that he is that much better than others from his draftclass, hardly negative at all, and yes there he is again. Thats too much for you both?

Looking at your username and the fact you cant see this either, makes me wonder if you are just as bad as him. I doubt you have had much disagreement with him over the years.

Essentially I fully agree with your last paragraph but somehow I am terribly annoyed with your first paragraph because its horse****.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->