C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button REALLY likes international tournaments and he called Poehling the best player at the Hlinka. He performed very well, but I doubt he's this widely regarded at this point. Either way, I hope Poehling validates the hype.
Yeah, I find a lot of the people who are single scouts (so don't work with a crew of people covering alot of ground) tend to heavily weight the international events. Seems Poehling is the biggest beneficiary. Waiting to see where other sites have him in there September rankings. Particularly the TSN list down by McKenzie.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He will thrive under Motzco. St. Cloud always turns out hard-nosed players who know how to move the puck. They also have maybe the sexiest powerplay I have ever seen, and it rarely is dependent on personnel. Having a blue-chipper like Poehling will be new. I'm thinking that he ends up going around 10, along with fellow Minnesotan Middlestadt.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
What's the scouting report on Poehling? What's his game like? I didn't see too much of the US team in the Hlinka unfortunately.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
He will thrive under Motzco. St. Cloud always turns out hard-nosed players who know how to move the puck. They also have maybe the sexiest powerplay I have ever seen, and it rarely is dependent on personnel. Having a blue-chipper like Poehling will be new. I'm thinking that he ends up going around 10, along with fellow Minnesotan Middlestadt.
He's a blue-chipper, but he's young. He won't get the kind of minutes a 18 or 19 year-old first round draft pick would get. That being said, he only needs to finish in the top six for team scoring to prove he's worthy of a first round draft pick. Depending on the role he earns, that's a possibility. He may or may not make either power play unit.

Also, SCSU definitely has a sexy power play unit, but it's usually quarterbacked by a defenseman. Schuldt will likely lead the first unit. Ahcan or Cholowski may lead the second unit.
What's the scouting report on Poehling? What's his game like? I didn't see too much of the US team in the Hlinka unfortunately.
I'm no scout, but I've watched him enough to vaguely describe him as a power forward. North-south skater, bulls through opponents, and a hard, quick release shot. Being the younger brother of twins seems to have had an effect.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
He's a blue-chipper, but he's young. He won't get the kind of minutes a 18 or 19 year-old first round draft pick would get. That being said, he only needs to finish in the top six for team scoring to prove he's worthy of a first round draft pick. Depending on the role he earns, that's a possibility. He may or may not make either power play unit.

Also, SCSU definitely has a sexy power play unit, but it's usually quarterbacked by a defenseman. Schuldt will likely lead the first unit. Ahcan or Cholowski may lead the second unit.

I'm no scout, but I've watched him enough to vaguely describe him as a power forward. North-south skater, bulls through opponents, and a hard, quick release shot. Being the younger brother of twins seems to have had an effect.

So all he needs to do is finish in the top six for team scoring this year, and he is a first rounder! No need to scout this kid, just look at his end of the year stats to determine draft position, NHL execs responsible for scouting budgets will be rejoicing.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Thought I'd bump this since he got his first point. Really interested to see how he does, he's the youngest player in D1 this year (only 1999 in it). The only guys in recent years I can remember being as young as him is Werenski and Hanifi.

I know we have some St. Cloud State fans around here, so how has he looked?

Since he was last discussed he's started to place well in multiple lists on the back of Hlinka. He was 15 on McKenzie's list, Pronman had him at 16, and HockeyProspect.com had him at 16.

BigGreenAlum

May 4, 2007
Thought I'd bump this since he got his first point. Really interested to see how he does, he's the youngest player in D1 this year (only 1999 in it). The only guys in recent years I can remember being as young as him is Werenski and Hanifi.

I know we have some St. Cloud State fans around here, so how has he looked?

Since he was last discussed he's started to place well in multiple lists on the back of Hlinka. He was 15 on McKenzie's list, Pronman had him at 16, and HockeyProspect.com had him at 16.

Heard from an NHL friend he is "getting his feet wet" now as a huge jump up from high school, although outside of his high school, he has played 9 USHL games, Hlinka, and USA Hockey Summer Select camps so he is not as green as some people think for a 17 year old. Friend likes him a lot, needs more viewing but clearly on radar for 1st round, just a matter of where they project him.

FYI, in the US once kids reach high school age, folks here treat players much more like their draft class versus their birth year. I know in Canada the opposite - Veleno, McDavid actually born exactly 3 years apart and if were born two weeks earlier would have been eligible as super late '96 and '99 respectively for CHL draft via normal rules versus the grandiose hockey Canada blessing of exceptional status. That gets big hyped up north - I am Canadian but live in the US - whereas here many people are like Veleno will be a 2018 NHL draft and he is very good but all the hoopla versus if he was born 2 weeks earlier where he would have been a super late'99 - eligible for 2018 draft - with no exceptional status hurdle to clear and associated hoopla. Tavares unique as he is a late birthday and very clearly much younger by at least 9.5 months than anyone was when he was drafted and obviously had 2 spend 4 years in the OHL because of his birthday. Very different from a guy who is born in early January.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
A little number on Poehling joining his brothers at St. Cloud State:

But rejoining his brothers on the ice — the trio were teammates for Poehling’s freshman and sophomore seasons at Lakeville North High in Minnesota — was only part of the reason the 17-year-old hit the books hard while others soaked in the sun.

“They were an influence for sure, but not as much as people think,†Poehling said. “They had their say in it but in the end it was up to me. That’s what made it best. It was my decision. At the end it came down to me putting in the work and I wanted to.

“I wanted to put in the work to get here. That was the decision I had to come down.â€

http://futureconsiderations.ca/poehlings-draft-journey-a-brotherly-effort/

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Not much chatter on him for a projected mid first round pick.

How has he looked? (Paging The Exiled One)
First time I've been paged, I think.

He looks better than his stats indicate. His hand eye coordination is stellar. Several of his goals have been mid-air tips.

He doesn't get a lot of time on the PP, though two of his 7 goals were on the man advantage. His stats would be better if he had more PP time, but there are simply more mature players that hog the minutes at the moment. He will get a lot more PP time next year.

He plays physically and is already a specimen at barely 18 years old. He is a very creative player, but he's still learning the systems of high level hockey. He doesn't have the hands or feet of Casey Mittelstadt, but he has an extremely powerful stride and can get from one end of the ice to the other very quickly. Not a dangler (yet anyway), but definitely a power forward in the making.

He'll probably finish this season with about 16 points and I think he puts up 30+ next year as one of the featured forwards.

For the draft, he's low risk downside, middle risk upside.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There's talk that he will be added to the USA's WJC U-18 team and figures to have a prominent role. That could be a big boost for his stock if he dominates the tournament.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Just kind of found out about this kid but he seems like someone Calgary would be interest in. Craig Button loves him and he's probably 4 years away from the big show.

If he drops to Calgary it would make sense.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he has been added to the USA u-18 team and so far in the first few games looked very impressive.

this kid definitely has the combination of size and skill to be a player...I can see glimpses of why Craig Button fell in love with him as a top 10 pick. I am not saying he will be a top 10 pick, but if he keeps this up at the u-18 he will make a strong case for it...Also, being the only 99' born in college this year, he really did a respectable job and completely grew on me over time with his maturity and understanding of both sides of the puck.

you aren't going to get a Casey Mittelstadt here offensively, but you have the opportunity to get a kid that is strong in all 3 zones with and away from the puck - this is the type of kid teams covet especially at Center. He has the chance to be a Ryan Kesler type player, definitely worthy of a top 15 pick at this point.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Any new observations?

I interviewed a US-based NHL scout last week and he gave me an amazing amount of information (400 words) on Poehling which you can read for free in his profile for the rest of this day:

https://recrutes.ca/profile/ryan-poehling/

Last night my videographer compiled his top plays from the season..notice how every goal basically is a tip-in..if there is a knock it's that he really needs to shoot more...37 SOG in 35 games.

https://recrutes.ca/ryan-poehling-11-redirection-compilation/

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I interviewed a US-based NHL scout last week and he gave me an amazing amount of information (400 words) on Poehling which you can read for free in his profile for the rest of this day:

https://recrutes.ca/profile/ryan-poehling/

Last night my videographer compiled his top plays from the season..notice how every goal basically is a tip-in..if there is a knock it's that he really needs to shoot more...37 SOG in 35 games.

https://recrutes.ca/ryan-poehling-11-redirection-compilation/

Thanks for the response!

Your updates were posted on the Flyers' board as well :)

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I'd love him at the Leafs pick at #18. Every goal in that highlight pack was a tip, which is pretty impressive in its own right.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Watching him today with Team Usa he doesn't stand outmuch. Carried the puck well a few times and to me didn't always use his teammates as well as I would have liked. It's only one game wit a new team so it doesn't mean much. He's a better skater than I expected. Can't wait to see more, but so far I am not sure he's that much better than the other top NTDP prospects like Norris, Mismash or Barratt.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Watching him today with Team Usa he doesn't stand outmuch. Carried the puck well a few times and to me didn't always use his teammates as well as I would have liked. It's only one game wit a new team so it doesn't mean much. He's a better skater than I expected. Can't wait to see more, but so far I am not sure he's that much better than the other top NTDP prospects like Norris, Mismash or Barratt.

not easy to be the only non USNDP player to jump in on this squad and have to learn his teammates. to be fair, this entire squad, like Canada came out very sluggish to start today - Poehling does the little things that go unnoticed, he isn't going to be a high flying Mike Modano out there, but definitely needs to and will step up as the tournament goes.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
not easy to be the only non USNDP player to jump in on this squad and have to learn his teammates. to be fair, this entire squad, like Canada came out very sluggish to start today - Poehling does the little things that go unnoticed, he isn't going to be a high flying Mike Modano out there, but definitely needs to and will step up as the tournament goes.

I agree he's alone in a tough situation adapting to a new team while all the others have chemistry already.

I think he's been fine in most aspects of the game but would have expected more, especially when he's ranked in most top 15s at the moment. Not saying he was bad or anything, just that from today's game you couldn't say he was a top 15 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->