Switzerland: C/RW Sandro Schmid, Fribourg-Gotteron

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Wears an "A" as a 20-year-old and played for the Swiss U20 team in the last two WJC.

Was not selected in the 2020 NHL Draft in his third year of eligibility but is there any long-term potential in terms of one day signing an NHL contract as a free agent?

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Wears an "A" as a 20-year-old and played for the Swiss U20 team in the last two WJC.

Was not selected in the 2020 NHL Draft in his third year of eligibility but is there any long-term potential in terms of one day signing an NHL contract as a free agent?

I have seen him a lot for the junior national teams an a bit in the NLA also. I think he might have NHL potential but probably only for the fourth line. Schmid plays with tremendous energy and never takes a shift of. He is fantastic on most aspects of the defensive side of the game. Great on the PK and in the face off circle as well. Also a great character guy who you would want on your team. On the flipside however I am not convinced of his offensive upside despite the relatively good start this year. He already has shown improvements in this area in the second half of last season though. Another concern is his not exactly imposing size wich is not ideal for a bottom 6 forward. In any case if he ever makes the NHL it wont be for another few years.

Since he was not taken in the last two drafts I think he is an unrestricted free agent and could sign with any NHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad